'the root of samsara'

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Wesley1982

'the root of samsara'

Post by Wesley1982 »

How does a student of Buddhism begin to learn to recognize the 'root of samsara'..?
dharmagoat

Re: 'the root of samsara'

Post by dharmagoat »

Wesley1982 wrote:How does a student of Buddhism begin to learn to recognize the 'root of samsara'..?
By 'root of saṃsāra' do you mean 'i-ness', clinging to a concept of self?
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I think the 'root of samsara' is probably clinging to your "I" of the self in the fundamental causes of existence.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

isn't the root - ignorance (Avijja or Avidya)?? 1st link in the 12 links of dependent arising... for any beginner, I found that samsara's cycle can be learned about extensively in the 12 links.

Dependent Origination in a nutshell
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

The word avijja came from the What the Buddha taught online PDF. (Which I use as the introductory reading)
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

In this book I'm reading it says that the 'root of samsara' is the habit of impure perception. Or the accumulation of bad habits
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Wesley1982 wrote:In this book I'm reading it says that the 'root of samsara' is the habit of impure perception. Or the accumulation of bad habits
I believe impure perception is ignorance.

Also, what is this book you are reading? Impure perception sounds tantric and is probably relevant to Vajrayana.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Wesley1982 wrote:How does a student of Buddhism begin to learn to recognize the 'root of samsara'..?
tomamundsen wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:In this book I'm reading it says that the 'root of samsara' is the habit of impure perception. Or the accumulation of bad habits
So the question is, "how do we recognise our own ignorance"? A tough one.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

tomamundsen wrote: Also, what is this book you are reading? Impure perception sounds tantric and is probably relevant to Vajrayana.
Medicine Buddha Teachings by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche and the other The Awakened One, a Life of Buddha by Sherab Chodzim Kohn

It gets real mystical and spiritual from that point . .
Thomas Amundsen

dharmagoat wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
So the question is, "how do we recognise our own ignorance"? A tough one.
Luckily we have the enlightened ones to show us. :smile:
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

dharmagoat wrote: So the question is, "how do we recognise our own ignorance"? A tough one.
Maybe the buddhanature is learning to solve your own "problems" and not to refer to someone else.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Wesley1982 wrote:
dharmagoat wrote: So the question is, "how do we recognise our own ignorance"? A tough one.
Maybe the buddhanature is learning to solve your own "problems" and not to refer to someone else.
I agree that practicing the Dharma is about discovering things for ourselves. But when it comes to pointing out our own ignorance, it would seem that someone skilled needs to help us do that.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

In terms of cross-cultural comparisons, 'ignorance' has a great deal in common with the Christian conception of 'man's fallen nature'. Obviously the major difference is that the Buddhist approach to the problem teaches self-reliance instead of simple faith in a saviour. But there's a lot more in common between the two than a lot of people are willing to admit (IMO).
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

To ask Rinpoche about the meaning of 'the root of samsara' and how to avoid it also requires study of correct practice and teaching.
muni

Post by muni »

"In your world to be respected, men have to show to be great in as much ways as possible, in this world men are highly respected when they defeat the ego concept; the root of all confusion".

A nangpa woman.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Thomas Amundsen

muni wrote:"In your world to be respected, men have to show to be great in as much ways as possible, in this world men are highly respected when they defeat the ego concept; the root of all confusion".

A nangpa woman.
Isn't that from 7 Years in Tibet? :smile:
muni

Post by muni »

tomamundsen wrote:
muni wrote:"In your world to be respected, men have to show to be great in as much ways as possible, in this world men are highly respected when they defeat the ego concept; the root of all confusion".

A nangpa woman.
Isn't that from 7 Years in Tibet? :smile:
Yes. :smile: Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlEvERAbFI0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The poor yellow head, always suffering from selffishness, no generosity while his friend gives the only watch of his father, yellow head suffers of jealousy, depression, steals dog food and become sick, is very busy by showing all his great artificial arts.....while his friend, simple and naturally is much more comfortable and peaceful.

A nice teaching movie.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
muni

Post by muni »

Wesley1982 wrote:I think the 'root of samsara' is probably clinging to your "I" .
Like you say so, Wesley.

http://www.lamayeshe.com/?sect=article&id=726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :anjali:
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Hi Wesley. A big thing I want you to consider is that one is only a student of Buddhism when one has a teacher. Books are not a teacher. Dharma forums are not a teacher. Only when you have a real flesh and blood teacher can you then take books and forums as teachers. Books and forums are in NO way a substitute for flesh and blood teachers.
Becoming a student of buddhism isn't about working it out intellectually - it's more the shock of meeting someone in flesh and blood who has worked it out and being inspired by that. At the moment you are constructing Buddhism as knowledge and not really contemplating the meaning. I've noticed you post quite a lot here and I think generally it's good that you ask questions, but if your interest is genuine then you will need to meet and talk with a teacher. This is the key for a genuine understanding to come about. You should ask a teacher what is the root of samsara and you might receive an interesting answer that relates to your circumstances directly.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Ogyen wrote:isn't the root - ignorance (Avijja or Avidya)?? 1st link in the 12 links of dependent arising... for any beginner, I found that samsara's cycle can be learned about extensively in the 12 links.

Dependent Origination in a nutshell
Quite right, it is ignorance of the dependently originating nature of phenomena. That's what grasping to an truly independently existing self is based on. So one could say it is ignorance of the dependently originating nature of what we refer to as a self. It's a chicken and egg deal.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”