Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 220
Location: UK
This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?

The question arises from another question: how might one practice in the original manner of the Mahasiddhas? My - very loose - lineage affilication is with Drikung Kagyu and so the lineage is from Tilopa. But... I've never felt completely at one with the Tibetan context. I don't find I have any significant connection to Padmasambhava, for instance, and so I always feel a little bit fraudulent saying the Seven Line Prayer - meanwhile I understand that this prayer is of fundamental importance to Tibetan Vajrayana and so from a practice point of view it's a dilemma for me. Who would an Indian follower of, say, Tilopa have supplicated as the Guru? Vajradhara, I suppose, but exactly how?

If someone could point me in the direction of some Indian Vajrayana resources from the early Middle Ages I'd be truly grateful.

I'm posting this in the general Mahayana forum - if a moderator thinks it belongs somewhere else, please move accordingly.

May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
First off, Padmasambhava was not Tibetan.......perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

Secondly, look to Nepal for that which you seek, young padawan! :smile:

Seriously, there are extant Vajrayana lineages in Nepal, going back to the Mahasiddhas....Chakrasamvara, Vajrayogini, they're all there. Ive seen a group of wandering sadhakas, chanting in Sanskrit, with harmoniums, two-headed drums, etc. Their practice is quite beautiful.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 220
Location: UK
Quote:
First off, Padmasambhava was not Tibetan.......perhaps I'm stating the obvious.


Absolutely. It's just that Padmasambhava has come to represent Tibetan Buddhism while - as far as I know - having no (remembered) impact on the Indian scene. If that isn't true then obviously a big part of my question is answered...

Quote:
Secondly, look to Nepal for that which you seek, young padawan!


I've never used an emoticon before in my life, but :namaste: Of course: Nepal. And I think it's true that there are still Buddhist Naths there as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 pm
Posts: 160
conebeckham wrote:
Seriously, there are extant Vajrayana lineages in Nepal, going back to the Mahasiddhas....Chakrasamvara, Vajrayogini, they're all there. Ive seen a group of wandering sadhakas, chanting in Sanskrit, with harmoniums, two-headed drums, etc. Their practice is quite beautiful.

Are these Newar lineages?

Best wishes
Lars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 220
Location: UK
Quote:
Are these Newar lineages?


That was going to be my next question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
I believe they were Newari, yes...but I cannot confirm that. I saw them near Pharping, years ago (before it was so developed)--and was told by someone that they were Vajrayana Buddhists practicing a Vajrayogini puja....

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:34 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Say what?

That's just wrong.
There are scads of practices where one visualizes particular gurus-Padmasambhava, Milarepa, the 2nd, 8th, 16th Karmapa and many others...and these practices are most definitely confined to monasteries.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Last edited by conebeckham on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
conebeckham wrote:
I believe they were Newari, yes...but I cannot confirm that. I saw them near Pharping, years ago (before it was so developed)--and was told by someone that they were Vajrayana Buddhists practicing a Vajrayogini puja....


Was it this place?

Image

They are Newari and as the story goes Naropa taught the family many centuries ago a tantra which they still maintain to this day.

If you didn't know it was Buddhist, you would think it was Hindu. Their manner of offering with rice is apparently quite similar to how some Hindus do it.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
underthetree wrote:
This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?


Shingon in Japan and now in Taiwan traces their lineage back to India through China. You have figures like Amoghavajra, Huiguo and Kukai as representative attained yogis. However, it is far removed from the original Indian cultural sphere.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:59 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
conebeckham wrote:
I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....


There is also the Padmasambhava caves nearby. One with his purported hand-print and the other down the road a bit.

There is an ancient Vajrayogini shrine inside the building displayed in the above photo. It is normally locked up, but if you ask them they can open it for you.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 220
Location: UK
As a Vajrayogini practitioner I have to make the pilgrimage to Nepal at some point.

It does seem to me that Nepal is ground zero for syncretic religion. Naths, Shaivites, Vajrayana, Mahayana, all cross-pollinating. Are any of these Newari sadhanas in print, or available in English on the web? It would be intriguing to compare them to the Tibetan ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:47 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Huseng wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....


There is also the Padmasambhava caves nearby. One with his purported hand-print and the other down the road a bit.

There is an ancient Vajrayogini shrine inside the building displayed in the above photo. It is normally locked up, but if you ask them they can open it for you.


Yep. I've been to all those places--it's an amazing area. The inside of that shrine is a "must-see" for Vajrayogini practitioners, for sure!

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: Baltimore, MD
Huseng wrote:
underthetree wrote:
This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?


Shingon in Japan and now in Taiwan traces their lineage back to India through China. You have figures like Amoghavajra, Huiguo and Kukai as representative attained yogis. However, it is far removed from the original Indian cultural sphere.


I thought Shingon maintained the transmission as Kukai taught it and that his transmission was essentially the same as the Chinese had received from India?

Kirt

_________________
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:24 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: Baltimore, MD
Huseng wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
I saw those practitioners at that place, Huseng... Yes indeed! But I saw a separate group, or so it seemed to me, at a location further up the hill, nearer the cave with the self-arising Tara....


There is also the Padmasambhava caves nearby. One with his purported hand-print and the other down the road a bit.

There is an ancient Vajrayogini shrine inside the building displayed in the above photo. It is normally locked up, but if you ask them they can open it for you.


Is this the main Vajrayogini shrine in the valleys outside of Kathmandhu?

Kirt

_________________
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:33 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5771
Huseng wrote:
underthetree wrote:
This is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time: are there any authentic lineages today that have one of the original Mahasiddhas as their originator, but that have not come down through Tibetan channels?


Shingon in Japan and now in Taiwan traces their lineage back to India through China. You have figures like Amoghavajra, Huiguo and Kukai as representative attained yogis. However, it is far removed from the original Indian cultural sphere.



I wonder if Shugendo might also be relevant to the discussion: ascetic yogis largely outside the mainstream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shugend%C5%8D

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:36 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lafayette, CO
My friend Yeshe Dorje has spent 40 some years in Nepal, mostly in retreat. He is currently the caretaker at Chatral Rinpoche's retreat center at Godawari. Last visit to the U.S., he mentioned that there are some really good Newari Vajrayana practitioners in Nepal. That's saying something coming from him. He does not offer Dharma praise easily. So, if you're looking for non-Tibetan Buddhist tantric lineages, definitely consider a long stay in Nepal. :namaste:

_________________
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
kirtu wrote:
I thought Shingon maintained the transmission as Kukai taught it and that his transmission was essentially the same as the Chinese had received from India?

Kirt


Modifications can be expected.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
kirtu wrote:
Is this the main Vajrayogini shrine in the valleys outside of Kathmandhu?

Kirt


I think so. It is quite ancient and dates back to Naropa as I was told.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
conebeckham wrote:
Say what?

That's just wrong.
There are scads of practices where one visualizes particular gurus-Padmasambhava, Milarepa, the 2nd, 8th, 16th Karmapa and many others...and these practices are most definitely confined to monasteries.



Ugh. Should have been "these practices are most definitely NOTconfined to monasteries.
Dang iPhone. Shouldn't post at the gym. :smile:

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Inge and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group