Last Post

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Last Post

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

I wanted to just cancel my acct. but saw no option to do that. So just for the record then, I see the spirit of sectarian bigotry nurtured at e-sangha alive and well here, which is ok, an attitude can be argued with, but with your hiring of henry as a new mod, it seems to me that you, either consciously or not are probably headed toward an environment that recreates the mistakes of e-sangha and i dont want to be part of that. I would very much appreciate it if the powers that be could ban my username.

Anyway thanks, it was fun for a while :)
Ride the horse in the direction its going.

~Werner Erhard
m0rl0ck

Re: Last Post

Postby Mr. G » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:I wanted to just cancel my acct. but saw no option to do that. So just for the record then, I see the spirit of sectarian bigotry nurtured at e-sangha alive and well here, which is ok, an attitude can be argued with, but with your hiring of henry as a new mod, it seems to me that you, either consciously or not are probably headed toward an environment that recreates the mistakes of e-sangha and i dont want to be part of that. I would very much appreciate it if the powers that be could ban my username.

What exactly qualifies as "sectarian bigotry" that you've seen here?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Well, I'm sorry to see you go, Morlock, but thanks for the warning. I think it's worth taking note of your concerns, and hopefully, Mr. Snyder won't let this site become negative in the way you fear.

I don't personally know Henry so I can't say anything about him, but I do know that Retro and Ngawang Drolma are incredibly nice and reasonable people who would be glad to discuss any concerns which members have.
Luke

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Luke, those are such kind words. Thanks a lot :)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby muni » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm

What is wrong with a dialogue when there are some obstructions between people?
muni

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:07 pm

muni wrote:What is wrong with a dialogue when there are some obstructions between people?

My gosh muni, it happens all the time, doesn't it? :)

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby catmoon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:I wanted to just cancel my acct. but saw no option to do that. So just for the record then, I see the spirit of sectarian bigotry nurtured at e-sangha alive and well here, which is ok, an attitude can be argued with, but with your hiring of henry as a new mod, it seems to me that you, either consciously or not are probably headed toward an environment that recreates the mistakes of e-sangha and i dont want to be part of that. I would very much appreciate it if the powers that be could ban my username.

Sectarian bigotry? Here? Pardon my French but what the hell are hallucinating about?

Srsly. You got examples or anything?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby shel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:44 pm

If Henry is the same individual who ran e-sangha m0rl0ck may have raised a legitimate and practical concern. Not that Henry would necessarily negatively effect the culture of this forum, but only that the 'trouble' at e-sangha may be likely to follow Henry to this forum, if indeed he is the same Henry, and him acting as a global moderator may attract the 'troubled' attention even more.

I'd hate to see what happened at e-sangha and buddhist-community.com happen here.
shel

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:13 pm

I think it's not cool to be discussing Henry in this manner. I'm closing this thread.

I am not closing this thread because we are being e-sanghaish, but because Henry is a kind individual who has volunteered to help here.

I have already explained who is overseeing this forum and exactly how I do that, and what my values in a discussion forum. David Snyder and Astus and myself are admins and I've been here since the site opened its doors. Thus far no one has cried foul.

If you have issues with the running of the forum, please contact me. My door is open and I want to hear your ideas, concerns, and thoughts.

But this thread isn't right, to be discussing an individual in the third person. It smacks of Wrong Speech.

Thanks for understanding.

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

Dear Luke,

Your feedback is very valuable and appreciated. And I have no doubt that Henry is appreciative of your honesty and expression of your experiences at e-sangha.

Please do be aware that DharmaWheel.net is under new management, and we intend on running the site exactly as it has been so far.

You've been a most valuable member, and I mean that. Your comments, remarks, and contributions have been a backbone of Dharma Wheel, especially when we were first getting off the ground.

But please be assured, nothing will change here. We are free to discuss just about anything under the sun (except the Karmapa controversy), as it should be.

Kind wishes and thanks,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:22 am

Greetings,

In relation to any "sectarian bigotry" concerns...

At Dharma Wheel, each post you see has a symbol with an exclamation mark in an orange sqaure, at the bottom-right corner. This button represents the site's Report Post function, and can be used if you believe somebody's post is not in accordance with the Terms Of Service.

The use of the Report Post function brings the post to the attention of moderators and administrators who will review the post against the Terms Of Service and determine its suitability. Dharma Wheel staff do not (and cannot realistically) read every single post made here, let alone review every post as soon as it is made. By helping us identify possible problems, you help speed up the post review process, and help prevent discussions from going off topic or becoming inappropriate.

I do find it odd that there is a perception of "sectarian bigotry", when there are very few posts reported, and that when posts are reported, anything resembling "sectarian bigotry" is attended to in a prompt manner, in accordance with the Terms Of Service.

Speaking of which, "Members are expected to self-moderate, being mindful of the adage that 'behaviour breeds behaviour'. Mutual respect and friendliness should be the basis of all interactions."

m0rl0ck ~ if I could recommend anything, it would be to not pre-empt the worst, and to deal with the administrators if you feel any problems are not being satisfactorily dealt with. Until then, maybe you could follow Werner Erhard's advice and "Ride the horse in the direction it's going." ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm

M0rl0ck, I would like to speak to you personally for a moment. If you're not comfortable with that and you would like for this post to be deleted I am happy to oblige, as I always am.

You are a practitioner. I've known you for sometime on the online fora. In fact it's been a while now. Whether or not you are necessarily buried in scholarly stuff, you sit your bottom on the cushion every day and investigate your mind. And I think you quiet your mind. I have respect for you, and I enjoy you. And you sprinkle your practice talk with humor, to boot.

Now here at Dharma Wheel you got hit with some scholars who are weighing in. I, personally, am not a scholar. I just have the experience to zip my lip when the conversation gets heavy. And I listen and enjoy, and often learn. And I try to resolve conflicts here and keep people communicating smoothly. My dedication first and foremost here is to the dharma and its people.

You are appreciated here, and you're enjoyed. If this forum isn't for you, I don't want you to stay and be unhappy. I wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable. But I have to challenge you, I haven't seen a shred of bigotry. If I saw bigotry I would get prickly and the members would hear it, too.

If you're dissatisfied, please go where you're comfortable. But if you're annoyed at being challenged rather strongly, please use your skills which I know that you have and extend your patience to us. For we're all in the same boat, bobbing in samsara and trying to make friends along the way.

Be well friend :)

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Return to Open Dharma