YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What should be the Buddhist response to tyranny? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

What should be the Buddhist response to tyranny?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Individual

Re: What should be the Buddhist response to tyranny?

Postby Individual » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:51 am

Let me put it differently:

If you are a human who acts unskillfully, like Julian Assange, the government will frame you for a crime or assassinate you.

If you act with the wisdom of a Zen master, be like Julian Assange, but not arrogantly and accept the fact that they will torture and kill you. Then, when they torture and kill you, through your noble sacrifice you attain rebirth in higher realms. In higher realms, where the context is more clear, you discover that while you thought it was a one-sided ordeal, in reality they were all idiots. Example: The government were jerks for wrongfully keeping secrets from the public while Julian Assange was equally wrong for wanting to expose others' secrets, all the while being narcissistic about it, not realizing the danger he was putting himself and others in. Politics is really irrelevant because in the grand scheme of things, all you can do is act rightly and hope others see you as an example; you can't use force. You can't help others be free and telling them what to do, not even in subtle ways by gathering into collective forces called "democracies."

And you could also look at things in a broader sense and think, "What's more important? Helping end the suffering of countless people in this realm -- or involving myself in one petty political struggle in one lifetime?" You could choose to be brave and there is benefit from that if you selflessly sacrifice your life for others, but it has to be done intelligently. You should think for yourself -- always -- and not just copy Thich Nhat Nhan's ideas. Instead of trying to make the world a utopia in a single lifetime, accept that it won't be and accept that it's something you can't do by yourself and can't do in a single lifetime.

In other words, no force. The Buddha response to tyranny should be non-tyranny. Tyranny means telling others what to do. Let the tyrants be tyrants, because that's life. But resist the tyranny... slowly... one step at a time, fearlessly.
The best things in life aren't things.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 am

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Guy

Postby Guy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:49 am

To anyone who associates the word "conspiracy" with tinfoil hats I would say to you: "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me".

I am not claiming (nor would I claim) that any and all conspiracy theories are true, but I wonder why people find it so hard to believe that maybe, just maybe, the most wealthy and powerful people on this planet MIGHT decide to have meetings and discuss how they want to direct the future of out planet? And maybe, just maybe, their desired future might not be the most beneficial for the majority. Is that really so far fetched?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 am

Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 am

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:24 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”