YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Renunciation - Dhamma Wheel

Renunciation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ashtanga

Renunciation

Postby ashtanga » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm

...thanks for your replies regarding my recent break with my ex...very supportive. i am going through waves of ok...not ok...ok...not ok...and trying to watch all the time.

This whole episode has developed a strong sense of renunciation in me - I think it was there all the time but has had a good boost now. The problem is I am not sure how to differentiate between true renunciation and running away from the inherent pain of the human condition - or are they the same.

I have a friend in the Forest Tradition, he's a really good looking mchap and same age as me. I admire him soooo much being a Bikkhu. Whenever I see him I get such a strong sense of contentment from him. Is this the contentment that comes from ordination?

I am 46 now and am getting heartily tired of all this samsaraic S**t...

Tony...

ajahndoe

Re: Renunciation

Postby ajahndoe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 am

True renunciation is of that which binds you in Samsara, that which you are naturally apt to cling. It is of mind and not necessarily of body. One who masters renunciation even in conditions of lay life can be free of attachments. It is to recognize that clinging to what you desire is what gives rise to dukkha; in not seeing that all things are transient, imperfect and ownerless (anicca, dukkha, anatta).

The contentment of the bhikkhu is in the simple life and practice the bhikkhu uptakes upon his or her ordination. A simple life has no problems. The bhikkhu's practice and meditation bring an awareness of what is true and the mind rejoices in this also.

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 pm

If you can't determine whether you're running or not, then you're running. Wait until things calm down before making a decision like that.

What about going on a retreat sometime soon?

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 am

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:01 am

andrer is on a roll. Correct once again.

Dumbest thing in the world is to announce a new life plan 10 seconds after the old one has failed. Take a breath.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Its a pretty good rule of thumb not to take big life decisions in the wake of big life events. Many a decision made while on the rebound is eventually rued.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm

If you have the opportunity to ordain, it would an immense waste to throw it away. The Buddha used to allow all the rotten apples to remain in the sangha with the idea that being in the midst of kalyanamittas they would get some benefit. I doubt if you are one of them!

What ever the reason, make it the entry point into the Sangha. You will benefit immensly from it.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

householder

Postby householder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Maybe:

Note your desire to ordain.
Start saving money and doing research, but otherwise continue with your life, bringing awareness to everything you do (very glib statement I know).

Maybe join a dhamma/meditation centre if there is one. Travel, if you can, to different monasteries and spend time in them to get a flavour of monastic life (advice given by Ajahn Amaro to me).

Revisit this desire in a month, and see if it has strengthened. If it has, repeat the above, then revisit the desire a month later. And so on.

My point is that if this desire remains strong, or stronger, in, say, 6 months time (or whenever is appropriate), then you'll know, with a clearer head and plenty of hindsight, whether this is a genuine calling that still resonates with you long after your current situation has passed, or whether it's an immediate 'escape' from your situation (which, mentally at least, you'll take with you wherever you go anyway).

I revisit my desire each month. For various reasons I cannot act on it right now. If, in a year or so, when I revisit the desire, it remains strong and continues to resonate, then I'll not only be in a position to act on it, but will know that it is a strong, wholesome and sincere desire that has persisted throughout everything that has happened (and I have no idea what will happen), during which I have continued my practice, but also my lay life, in a wholehearted and committed manner.

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm

oooooer, you're going to make a good monk Householder.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

householder

Postby householder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”