Institutional Buddhism

Fa Dao

Re: Institutional Buddhism

Postby Fa Dao » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Pure perception is actually just resting in the natural state. In the natural state not only your Guru but all sentient beings are Buddha's.

/magnus

Not trying to be contentious or start an argument but please correct me if I am wrong but isnt the natural state beyond pure and impure perception/vision? Doesnt the natural state manifest when one goes beyond both the pure and impure? and isnt it also beyond thoughts of anyone being a Buddha or a sentient being? Keep in mind I am just going on what my teacher, ChNN, has said. If I have misunderstood him I really do want to understand where my understanding has gone astray.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

heart

Postby heart » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:39 pm

"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Fa Dao

Postby Fa Dao » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:41 pm

cool, thanks Magnus!!
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

uan

Postby uan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:57 pm

xylem

Postby xylem » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Challenge23

Postby Challenge23 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:51 pm

IN THIS BOOK IT IS SPOKEN OF THE SEPHIROTH & THE PATHS, OF SPIRITS & CONJURATIONS, OF GODS, SPHERES, PLANES & MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST. IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THEY EXIST OR NOT. BY DOING CERTAIN THINGS CERTAIN RESULTS FOLLOW; STUDENTS ARE MOST EARNESTLY WARNED AGAINST ATTRIBUTING OBJECTIVE REALITY OR PHILOSOPHICAL VALIDITY TO ANY OF THEM.

Wagner, Eric; Wilson, Robert Anton (2004-12-01). An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson (Kindle Locations 1626-1629). New Falcon Publications. Kindle Edition., quoting from Alister Crowley

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

xylem

Postby xylem » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 am

malcolm-la...

i largely agree with you. the more important issue is protecting people being led astray or being abused and manipulated by false teachers.

in my experience all of these abuses are ignored and even fostered by dysfunctional concepts about "samaya". again, we give our power and reason away. for many people "samaya" is something like being in the mafia or signing a pact with the devil: one's "all in" regardless of what.

the truth is, and i'm sure you know this, we have no samaya with the lama if the lama has no samaya with us. the basis of all the countless samayas is love and compassion, and if a lama is harming us-- the contract is broken. call the sheriff. get an order of protection. find an attorney. any sangha member that uses "samaya" to cover up abuse by a lama is, in fact, rupturing their own precepts.

the truth is, and i'm sure you also know this as well, we have samaya with each other as well as our lama. if i know that my lama is sexually abusing my sangha sister and i turn my back on her to support my lama, you know, samaya and all... i am doing something very dark.

vajrayana is based on a personal relationship with someone who is, presumably, higher than us in realization. maybe someday a vajrayana culture will arise where that does not come along with a vertical power hierarchy. it certainly is possible. until then, i think it's naive to think we can tweek things to make everyone safe from harm.

-xy

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:58 am

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

oldbob

Postby oldbob » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Return to “Dzogchen”