OCD,LoA and opinion of buddhists about this

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?
Paul
Global Moderator

Re: OCD,LoA and opinion of buddhists about this

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 am

GarcherLancelot wrote:
AlexanderS wrote:Then let go of this law of attraction bullshit.

I wish I could,but people are coming out and saying it works and whatnot zzzzz.....

It doesn't work. Because it is pure unadulterated bullshit. It's magical thinking combined with confirmation bias - something especially easy to produce in an online echo-chambers such as dedicated forums.

If it did work then no one would ever starve to death, would they? And the objection about having negative subconscious thoughts that interfere doesn't make sense as people on a whole don't subconsciously want to die horribly.

Have a look at scientific studies of confirmation bias and magical thinking if that would help, although just walking away completely might be best. And see a good therapist.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal

Adumbra

Postby Adumbra » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:04 am

Ok,Never thoguht of that.So what do you think about superstitions,curse and whatnot?Because I have been thinking about it so long I wonder could I have manifested something....

Superstitions such as broken mirrors and black cats are just supersitions and I have never, in all my years, seen any evidence that would suggest that they have any intrinsic power in themselves. Only by believing in a superstition could you fall victim to one.

Curses however...

In my opinion, the best protection against any type of curse is to elevate yourself above the emotions of hatred and envy which all curses are ultimately fueled by. If you are afraid of a psychic or magical attack, you are all the more vulnerable to it because fear and hatred are emotional kin. Someone who is in a place of love and appreciation (rather than fear and anger) cannot be touched by a curse, no matter how malevolent. I speak this from personal experience, not wishful thinking: Like attracts like. Fear makes you a lightning rod for black magic. Love is the best protection. If I thought I were being cursed I would do Metta Bhavana (loving-kindness meditation) every day, twice a day if possible. Suffuse your soul with light and no darkness can touch you.

As for inadvertently cursing others? I don't think your ill intentions would have much of an effect on someone unless you focused them into a formal spell with a definite intention to do harm. Emotions like anger and envy can be a very potent element within a curse, but by themselves they are likely to do YOU more harm than the person that they are directed towards. In fact, the one helpful thing about black magic is that it allows a person to purge themselves of negative emotions that would otherwise fester within them and cause trouble. Forgiveness is, of course, superior to vengeance. But even vengeance is better than brooding.
"The first thing you have to understand is that I don't believe in ANYTHING."
-Arahata Osho

GarcherLancelot

Postby GarcherLancelot » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:42 am

Adumbra wrote:
Ok,Never thoguht of that.So what do you think about superstitions,curse and whatnot?Because I have been thinking about it so long I wonder could I have manifested something....

Superstitions such as broken mirrors and black cats are just supersitions and I have never, in all my years, seen any evidence that would suggest that they have any intrinsic power in themselves. Only by believing in a superstition could you fall victim to one.

Curses however...

In my opinion, the best protection against any type of curse is to elevate yourself above the emotions of hatred and envy which all curses are ultimately fueled by. If you are afraid of a psychic or magical attack, you are all the more vulnerable to it because fear and hatred are emotional kin. Someone who is in a place of love and appreciation (rather than fear and anger) cannot be touched by a curse, no matter how malevolent. I speak this from personal experience, not wishful thinking: Like attracts like. Fear makes you a lightning rod for black magic. Love is the best protection. If I thought I were being cursed I would do Metta Bhavana (loving-kindness meditation) every day, twice a day if possible. Suffuse your soul with light and no darkness can touch you.

As for inadvertently cursing others? I don't think your ill intentions would have much of an effect on someone unless you focused them into a formal spell with a definite intention to do harm. Emotions like anger and envy can be a very potent element within a curse, but by themselves they are likely to do YOU more harm than the person that they are directed towards. In fact, the one helpful thing about black magic is that it allows a person to purge themselves of negative emotions that would otherwise fester within them and cause trouble. Forgiveness is, of course, superior to vengeance. But even vengeance is better than brooding.

Actually I invent my own ritual(basically I just tell myself this will work ) ,among the effects are everytime I do it "everyhting will be fine",and "throw all curses if they existed into a pool of destruction","retract all my unwanted statements and thoughts",you think this is ok?

Nemo

Postby Nemo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:25 am

If I tell 100,000 people that law of attraction works and one wins lotto and I take credit and they become a proseyltyzer of loa and they tell 100,000 people,...

See what I mean. You OCD fixated on a pyramid scheme. You've been conned friend.

In my papa's day they did it with racing form mailing lists. They would say they have a foolproof system of predicting horse race winners. Then they would break up the list and mail letters with different winners. Then take the names that had the correct horse and throw out the names that had the wrong one. By the 6th or 7th correct "prediciton" they would have dozens of people trying to buy their system.

LOA is an even better scam IMO.

GarcherLancelot

Postby GarcherLancelot » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Nemo wrote:If I tell 100,000 people that law of attraction works and one wins lotto and I take credit and they become a proseyltyzer of loa and they tell 100,000 people,...

See what I mean. You OCD fixated on a pyramid scheme. You've been conned friend.

In my papa's day they did it with racing form mailing lists. They would say they have a foolproof system of predicting horse race winners. Then they would break up the list and mail letters with different winners. Then take the names that had the correct horse and throw out the names that had the wrong one. By the 6th or 7th correct "prediciton" they would have dozens of people trying to buy their system.

LOA is an even better scam IMO.

I see,I will think about it,btw,is there any mahayana buddhism way when someone face this kind of ..."vague" problem?I am not exactly a mahayana buddhist,I just got curious and sign up for this forum lol.

Return to “Personal Experience”