OCD,LoA and opinion of buddhists about this

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

OCD,LoA and opinion of buddhists about this

Postby GarcherLancelot » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Ok,so I get a bit paranoid around 2/3 months ago,because I originally have some magical thinking OCD issues ,that and I hthnk I somehow recalled LoA ,it turned into Pure OCD,which means I get a bit paranoid about bad things happening to other people if I do or do not do certain things which is unrelated but related to my interests most of the time,it is as if I am getting trolled by myself.

Basically,this condition is trying to scare me to give up my hobbies or things like that because when I accidentally think that doing so might cause soemthing really bad to happen,and then I worried about whether would it happen which in turn makes me worried about whether the worry would manifest as some sort of curse or not.

Help please?

Thnks.

P/S:I tried psychological help online but it isn;t so helpful,mainly because it is not just OCD,I am concerned about LoA too.
GarcherLancelot

Re: OCD,LoA and opinion of buddhists about this

Postby justsit » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

On-line psychological help is useless - you need to see a mental health professional in person.
Best wishes,
Justsit
justsit

Postby GarcherLancelot » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 am

Ok,but I am overseas right now maybe after I go back home,btw what would you do in my position?
GarcherLancelot

Postby Dechen Norbu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:36 pm

I would go and seek qualified assistance, friend.
You can seek professional help, not mattering where you are and that is what you should do before things escalate.
It won't help much discussing your situation in a virtual forum, I'm afraid. You are very welcome here, but it is of your own interest to seek help from trained professionals outside this board. You shouldn't postpone it.

Best wishes. :anjali:
Dechen Norbu

Postby AlexanderS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 am

What's LoA?
AlexanderS

Postby GarcherLancelot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:43 am

Law of Attraction
GarcherLancelot

Postby AlexanderS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Perhaps, you would get better responses in the TBM section on the site.
AlexanderS

Postby GarcherLancelot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm

What is TBM?
GarcherLancelot

Postby AlexanderS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 pm

There is a subsection for alternative health and Tibetan buddhist medicine on this site.
AlexanderS

Postby GarcherLancelot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Uhm mods can you move this to the TBM section??Thnks
GarcherLancelot

Postby Spirituality » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

The Tibetan health forum is meant for specific questions to Tibetan Health professionals. I don't think your question applies.

The law of attraction is like karma in that it makes us responsible for our own lives. The difference is that the LOA avoids talking about the topic from the perspective of various lives.

That's very different from magical thinking: that you might hurt someone by having a hobby or something. From a Buddhist perspective what matters is simply to WANTING to hurt people and not actively hurting people. Since you clearly do not want to hurt people, you're in the clear on that one. You're probably hurting people by avoiding them though, from what I can tell.

Personally I think online help might definitely be a help: you're pretty clear on where you went wrong, and probably only need help getting back on track. do remind yourself regularly that if bad things happen to people, that doesn't have anything to do with you.

My own experience dealing with fears is simple: face up to them and you'll conquer me one by one. Fears don't just disappear, but familiarity with a situation will make it easier to deal with, the fear becomes manageable.
Spirituality

Postby GarcherLancelot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 am

Spirituality wrote:The Tibetan health forum is meant for specific questions to Tibetan Health professionals. I don't think your question applies.

The law of attraction is like karma in that it makes us responsible for our own lives. The difference is that the LOA avoids talking about the topic from the perspective of various lives.

That's very different from magical thinking: that you might hurt someone by having a hobby or something. From a Buddhist perspective what matters is simply to WANTING to hurt people and not actively hurting people. Since you clearly do not want to hurt people, you're in the clear on that one. You're probably hurting people by avoiding them though, from what I can tell.

Personally I think online help might definitely be a help: you're pretty clear on where you went wrong, and probably only need help getting back on track. do remind yourself regularly that if bad things happen to people, that doesn't have anything to do with you.

My own experience dealing with fears is simple: face up to them and you'll conquer me one by one. Fears don't just disappear, but familiarity with a situation will make it easier to deal with, the fear becomes manageable.

Avoiding them?By them you mean by?I am not sure where I went wrong.
Because when I think of superstitions and sometimes I wonder if superstition work through LoA,I mean you know like breaking mirror and get bad luck thing,maybe people believe it is true so it happened,so I wonder if I accidentally created my own set of superstitions,you get what I mean?

P/S:Sometimes when I think of my problem it feels kinda funny and interesting which disturbs me abit as if I want to have this problem,do you have any idea?
GarcherLancelot

Postby AlexanderS » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 am

I was just thinking that there might be some advice in the TBM forum, you could put into practice that would make your mind and body feel more at ease.
AlexanderS

Postby GarcherLancelot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 am

Actually the OCD under control,it is just that I want to make sure everything is fone.Thnks btw.
GarcherLancelot

Postby Adumbra » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:02 am

I wonder if superstition work through LoA,I mean you know like breaking mirror and get bad luck thing,maybe people believe it is true so it happened,so I wonder if I accidentally created my own set of superstitions,you get what I mean?

I think if YOU believe in the superstition, it could affect you. But stepping on a crack won't break your mother's back, unless she thinks it will too.

Of course, there is sympathetic magic, but that actually takes a lot of focus and willpower which you are not exerting. The same thing applies to the law of attraction: you have to focus on something intently with unswerving faith that it will occur. And affecting another person with LoA is even more difficult because they simultaneously have their own thoughts/feelings which may be completely different from yours. In any case a person's own expectations have much more influence on themselves than what you might be putting out.

Bottom line: your fears are totally illogical and unfounded even within the paradigm of LoA or voodoo/witchcraft.

Chill out.

In my experience shrinks are just witchdoctors who overcharge for their services. They do nothing but listen to you whine and then get you strung out on expensive, mostly untested drugs which will have all sorts of interesting, long term side-effects. You may as well go see a Gypsy fortuneteller. It's safer, cheaper, just as effective (and she's pretty and will stroke your hand as she reads your palm).

But whatever... it's your call.
"The first thing you have to understand is that I don't believe in ANYTHING."
-Arahata Osho
Adumbra

Postby GarcherLancelot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Adumbra wrote:
I wonder if superstition work through LoA,I mean you know like breaking mirror and get bad luck thing,maybe people believe it is true so it happened,so I wonder if I accidentally created my own set of superstitions,you get what I mean?

I think if YOU believe in the superstition, it could affect you. But stepping on a crack won't break your mother's back, unless she thinks it will too.

Of course, there is sympathetic magic, but that actually takes a lot of focus and willpower which you are not exerting. The same thing applies to the law of attraction: you have to focus on something intently with unswerving faith that it will occur. And affecting another person with LoA is even more difficult because they simultaneously have their own thoughts/feelings which may be completely different from yours. In any case a person's own expectations have much more influence on themselves than what you might be putting out.

Bottom line: your fears are totally illogical and unfounded even within the paradigm of LoA or voodoo/witchcraft.

Chill out.

In my experience shrinks are just witchdoctors who overcharge for their services. They do nothing but listen to you whine and then get you strung out on expensive, mostly untested drugs which will have all sorts of interesting, long term side-effects. You may as well go see a Gypsy fortuneteller. It's safer, cheaper, just as effective (and she's pretty and will stroke your hand as she reads your palm).

But whatever... it's your call.

Hmm....... ok,but the supporters of LoA talk as if just having bad thoughts alone is almost solely responsible for whatever suffering someone is having.
GarcherLancelot

Postby AlexanderS » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Then let go of this law of attraction bullshit.
AlexanderS

Postby GarcherLancelot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:45 pm

AlexanderS wrote:Then let go of this law of attraction bullshit.

I wish I could,but people are coming out and saying it works and whatnot zzzzz.....
GarcherLancelot

Postby Adumbra » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:41 am

Hmm....... ok,but the supporters of LoA talk as if just having bad thoughts alone is almost solely responsible for whatever suffering someone is having.

Persistantly bad thoughts, yes. People observe, for example, that they are in poverty and so they come to expect it never imagining that they could experience anything better. In this case the perception feeds back into your thought processes which in turn will tend to perpetuate the reality that you are perceiving.

While continueing to manifest what is already manifesting is an easy, passive process the same cannot be said for manifesting something new. To change your circumstances, for better or worse, requires persistent focus upon the new manifestation while doggedly ignoring what already is. A stray negative thought has no more power to manifest than a stray, positive thought. Anyone can attest to this. How many of you have gotten on to a plane and thought about it crashing or being taken hostage? And yet you are still alive. How many people buy lottery tickets every week and dream of what they would do with the money? And yet weeks will pass in which no one will win.
"The first thing you have to understand is that I don't believe in ANYTHING."
-Arahata Osho
Adumbra

Postby GarcherLancelot » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 am

Adumbra wrote:

Persistantly bad thoughts, yes. People observe, for example, that they are in poverty and so they come to expect it never imagining that they could experience anything better. In this case the perception feeds back into your thought processes which in turn will tend to perpetuate the reality that you are perceiving.

While continueing to manifest what is already manifesting is an easy, passive process the same cannot be said for manifesting something new. To change your circumstances, for better or worse, requires persistent focus upon the new manifestation while doggedly ignoring what already is. A stray negative thought has no more power to manifest than a stray, positive thought. Anyone can attest to this. How many of you have gotten on to a plane and thought about it crashing or being taken hostage? And yet you are still alive. How many people buy lottery tickets every week and dream of what they would do with the money? And yet weeks will pass in which no one will win.

Ok,Never thoguht of that.So what do you think about superstitions,curse and whatnot?Because I have been thinking about it so long I wonder could I have manifested something....
GarcherLancelot

Next

Return to Personal Experience