(: Medicine Buddha Dharma Practice :)

Wesley1982

(: Medicine Buddha Dharma Practice :)

Post by Wesley1982 »

It says from a book I'm reading that the Medicine Buddha practice is done primarily in the Kagyu school/tradition.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: (: Medicine Buddha Dharma Practice :)

Post by kirtu »

Wesley1982 wrote:It says from a book I'm reading that the Medicine Buddha practice is done primarily in the Kagyu school/tradition.
No, it's practiced in all the schools. Even long term retreat on Medicine Buddha is practiced in all the schools.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

The Medicine Buddha practice most (all?) Karma Kagyupas practice comes from Mingyur Dorje's NamCho (Shy Treasures). At least that's been my experience. So, one could say it's a Nyingma practice, at root...

Not that any of this matters. It's a good practice for anyone interested in healing energy and medicine.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

conebeckham wrote:The Medicine Buddha practice most (all?) Karma Kagyupas practice comes from Mingyur Dorje's NamCho (Shy Treasures).
Really? WOW! Are other Nam Cho practices found in Karma Kagyu as well? Did these come from Karma Chagme spreading the teachings or from Mingyur Dorje's activity during his lifetime?

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Yes, the main Amitabha/Amitayus and Powa practices in the Karma Kagyu come from the Namcho Cycle.

They came through Karma Chagme.
s.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

...also there's a popular Manjusri/Saraswati practice that is NamCho.

Karma Chagme also wrote quite a bit on "Sarma" Karma Kagyu practices. And on other Nyingma practices that Karma Kagyus practice--KarLing Shitro, for instance...
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Can you "visualize" the Buddhadharmas in front -(I mean sitting in front of)- your computer monitor? . . .:?:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Wesley1982 wrote:Can you "visualize" the Buddhadharmas in front -(I mean sitting in front of)- your computer monitor? . . .:?:
When you practice Medicine Buddha, turn off the computer, tv, radio, etc. Sit in a chari or on a cushion. Take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. You can imagine (this is a visualization) the Buddha or the Medicine Buddha representing all the Buddhas, also as the proclaimer of the Dharma (or the embodiment of the Dharma) and even the embodiment of the Sangha in his own body (or you can be a little more elaborate and imagine all the Arhats and Bodhisattvas and all the Buddhas of past, present and future surrounding him). So even this visualization as imagination can be condensed and simple (just imagine the Buddha or Medicine Buddha) or more complex as you prefer and can visualize. Or you just just feel that they are in front of you slightly higher than your head.

Create the mind of lovingkindness and universal compassion for all beings. Raise the intention of practicing in order to liberate all beings everywhere and ultimately recuse them from samsara.

Then go though the text you are using. If you are using the Thrangu Rinpoche book he has two text's from memory. One is sort of esoteric (dealing explicitly with light from the five elements and) so don't do that one (that one also doesn't have the mantra I think). The text will have the first two steps that I mentioned above. At the end of the practice dedicate the merit that you generated to liberate all beings.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

yes, I'm reading that book.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

2 interpretations I've gotten from the book are -

"Light of Lapis Lazuli illuminate me so that I may illuminate others."

"May all who do good while on earth be reborn in Sukhavati."
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

There's a very good commentary on Medicine Buddha practice by Thrangu Rinpoche w/ sadhana at Shenpen-Osel
http://shenpen-osel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The nonexistence of the transcendence of suffering
is what the protector of the world has taught as the transcendence
of suffering.
Knots tied on space
are untied by space itself.

May I never be seperated from perfect masters in all lives,
and delightfully experiencing the magnificent dharma,
completing all qualities of the stages of the paths
may I quickly attain the state of Vajradhara
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Most interesting, thanks. I got started on it today.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Return to “Kagyu”