Tibetanmedicine-edu.org 3 year online course

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Inge

Tibetanmedicine-edu.org 3 year online course

Post by Inge »

Do you know if the three year Tibetan medicine distant learning online course of Dr. Pasang Y. Arya T. Sherpa at tibetanmedicine-edu.org is a good program?
Malcolm

Re: Tibetanmedicine-edu.org 3 year online course

Post by Malcolm »

Inge wrote:Do you know if the three year Tibetan medicine distant learning online course of Dr. Pasang Y. Arya T. Sherpa at tibetanmedicine-edu.org is a good program?

He is a qualified doctor, so I am sure it is fine.

There are two other options as well.

My Alma mater:

http://tibetanmedicineschool.org/progra ... r-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nida Chenagtsang's program:

http://www.thesoriginstitute.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All three are fine programs, all have their strengths and their weaknesses. All three are run by qualified Tibetan doctors who speak english well.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

How much does it cost? I have often wondered what the benefits of a dual qualification in western and tibetan medicine would be.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

AdmiralJim wrote:How much does it cost? I have often wondered what the benefits of a dual qualification in western and tibetan medicine would be.
Deeper understanding, better skills.

Kevin
Inge

Post by Inge »

AdmiralJim wrote:How much does it cost? I have often wondered what the benefits of a dual qualification in western and tibetan medicine would be.
The cost of the full three year tibetanmedicine-edu.org program is 7100 Swiss francs.
Inge

Post by Inge »

Namdrol wrote:
Inge wrote:Do you know if the three year Tibetan medicine distant learning online course of Dr. Pasang Y. Arya T. Sherpa at tibetanmedicine-edu.org is a good program?

He is a qualified doctor, so I am sure it is fine.

There are two other options as well.

My Alma mater:

http://tibetanmedicineschool.org/progra ... r-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nida Chenagtsang's program:

http://www.thesoriginstitute.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All three are fine programs, all have their strengths and their weaknesses. All three are run by qualified Tibetan doctors who speak english well.
Excellent. Thank you for the information and links.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

One will be able to practice Tibetan medicine without obstacles.
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

Namdrol,
Is the Shang Shung Institute's online Tibetan Medicine school up and running yet? It seems that they said they'd have info by September of last year, but I still don't see anything. I'm planning on applying for the full 4-year program. Do you have any info or advice?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:Namdrol,
Is the Shang Shung Institute's online Tibetan Medicine school up and running yet? It seems that they said they'd have info by September of last year, but I still don't see anything. I'm planning on applying for the full 4-year program. Do you have any info or advice?
I am pretty sure that it is.

You ought to contact Dr. Phuntsog Wangmo and find out from her directly.

Best,

M
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

I spoke with Gen Phuntsog Wangmo the other day and there were plans to begin a new online course this Fall (2012).

You can also contact the Shang Shung secretary (secretary at shangshung.org) or call for more information.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

I think the benefits would be enormous.

I did a 3 year full time BSc degree in Ayurvedic medicine at Middlesex University and can legally do very little with it apart from a bit of bodywork and offering a bit of 'lifestyle' and nutritional advice. Had I paid another £5000 to do the one year masters degree afterwards i would, for the timebeing at least, be able to prescribe some simple herbs like amalaki, but to be honest most of the traditional ayurvedic (and i'm presuming tibetan) formulae contain at least one ingredient that is banned by the EU. So there is the problem of a severley restricted pharmocopeia.

Also considering the impracticality of intense residential panchakarma treatment retreats in the UK (due to cost, time etc) that traditionally important method of treatment, or crucial part of a lot of treatment protocols, is difficult for people to undergo.

I had a strong feeling while studying, and as it became apparent what we would and would not be able to do in practice on completion of the degree, that a qualification in western medicine and the ability to practice as a GP would be a perfect position for integrating ayurvedic or tibetan medicine into a practice. I actually looked into then training in western medicine as a postgraduate but the logistics of it all (my age, time, cost) put me off.

I truly believe combination of western medical scientific development with Ayurvedic/Tibetan medical theory, such as a working knowledge of the doshas, dhatus etc, would provide an excellent base for a medical practice. I am not trained in western medicine though, so I can't back that up with experience.

I think if I had my time again, I would train as a western medical doctor then study Tibetan/Ayurvedic medicine. Definitely.

Please do it...if only to vicariously accomplish an ambition of mine :smile:
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

As this topic has turned into a general discussion it has been moved from the Tibetan Medicine forum.

Regards,
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Tibetan medicine institute is very interesting but its more realistic to contribute undertstanding to the -Western Approach-

~ especially in the field of psychiatry.
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Wesley1982 wrote:Tibetan medicine institute is very interesting but its more realistic to contribute undertstanding to the -Western Approach-

Why?
What good does a psychiatrist do for a person in most cases?
They for the most part just prescribe drugs, as is common in the west for most anything, instead of helping to find the true answer to the problem.
I have read that in the Eastern cultures psychiatry is basically non-existent.
I believe Lama Yeshe said that for one to calm/subdue mental issues, one needs to find the cause in themselves. Through meditation, first calming the mind, then through more meditation finding the truth of their own mind.

Not drugging a person into the "form" society deems "proper".

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Josef

Post by Josef »

Wesley1982 wrote:Tibetan medicine institute is very interesting but its more realistic to contribute undertstanding to the -Western Approach-

Psychology yes, psychiatry, not likely.

A psychologist who is also a Tibetan Medical doctor can be of great benefit in my opinion.
Last edited by Josef on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

[quoteWhy?
What good does a psychiatrist do for a person in most cases?
They for the most part just prescribe drugs, as is common in the west for most anything, instead of helping to find the true answer to the problem.
I have read that in the Eastern cultures psychiatry is basically non-existent.
I believe Lama Yeshe said that for one to calm/subdue mental issues, one needs to find the cause in themselves. Through meditation, first calming the mind, then through more meditation finding the truth of their own mind.

Not drugging a person into the "form" society deems "proper".

Kindest wishes, Dave][/quote]

You need to read more about western psychiatry, most mental illness is caused by a pathological mechanism - which needs drug treatment. Of course things like meditation may help someone keep well by reducing stress triggers but if a patient was diabetic there would be no question about giving drug treatment yet with mental illness people treat it differently why?
The monoamine theory of depression and dopamine over-activity in schizophrenia is a physical brain disorder, not treating with sensible medications based on this pathology is stupid. The reason psychiatry doesn't exist in the east is because it is taboo, not because there is no mental illness.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Dave The Seeker

I respect your reply on this. Alsp I never said there wasn't mental illness in the east.
But many "disorders" are over medicated in western scociety.
Yes there are some things that need to be medicated there is no doubt in that.
Many problems both physical and mental can be overcome without pharmicuticals.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

The Seeker wrote: What good does a psychiatrist do for a person in most cases?
The sick patient having symptoms needs a proper assessment and resources & counseling support for their specific illness.

(Someone has to inform you what is "wrong" with you if you seek the counsel of psych Dr.)
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Speaking of which - why do most psychiatric hospitals have to restrict freedom of movement around the facility? . . :shrug:
Dave The Seeker

AdmiralJim wrote:You need to read more about western psychiatry, most mental illness is caused by a pathological mechanism - which needs drug treatment. Of course things like meditation may help someone keep well by reducing stress triggers but if a patient was diabetic there would be no question about giving drug treatment yet with mental illness people treat it differently why?
Many "mental illnesses" are caused by chemicals introduced through the food/environment. Causing an imbalance in the bodies natural "chemical" makeup. Autism for example, has been proven in many cases caused by vaccinations in children. True some are genetically based. Also in the west pharmaceutical companies hand out drugs to doctors and sometimes the doctors are given kick backs for prescribing these medications. That at times cause problems, both mental and physical. If one looks at statistics, most mental and serious physical illnesses have become ramped in the past 15-20 years. Is this by chance or because of the use of chemicals which are "better" for the body? Also look at how many class action law suits are there against pharmaceutical companies for the next greatest drug to screw you up.
Also diabetes can easily be cured through natural means, one being a proper diet and much less processed food. Which is also the cause of obesity and many other physical/mental disorders. Our society has become more lazy and in too much of a rush so it is much easier to get into the "fast food" rut than to worry about a sit down healthy meal.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~

Return to “Alternative Health”