YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Human reborn as Human - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Human reborn as Human

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kenshou

Re: Human reborn as Human

Postby Kenshou » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 pm

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 pm

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 pm

I see. Well, I do agree with you, I don't think that it's an argument at all. From my understanding, the Buddha's teachings encourage faith to be put only in one's own practical experience, and that the rest of his teachings should be verified from the perspective of that faithful practical experience. It would be better to say that faith is a product of spiritual practice, not vice versa. Or in this instance, that the basis of faith should be practice.
Does Alex seem to have said, in your experience, that his faith is based on blind belief of the Buddhadhamma? Or alternatively does it seem that his faith may be based on something else?
with metta
Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 pm

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:24 am

I have every basic conviction that understanding the dimensions and levels and planes of the cosmos, and the cycles of this samsara structure, is enfolded within Right Understanding (view). There is a point to these teachings, and it is a point related to the method of self-therapy that the Buddha taught, that he indeed was, that his personality indeed is. Now, as far as geography is concerned, certainly. Outside the Noble Eightfold Path.
I'm not inclined to think that Alex's faith is blind, it's just that it seems as though it might be.
In this statement: "It is unfortunate how some people choose to believe and take it on faith what the scientists say about the world, and don't believe The Buddha." Alex may be standing on a faith that is not blind.
And in this statement: "If the Buddha has said it, I trust Him rather than worldlings (who often have financial reasons for their theories). That settles it." Although these are common mental processes of blind faith, Alex may still be standing on a faith that is not blind.
But what I'd like to say here is that Alex wasn't responding to the topic in this questionable post, not in either of these statements. I do wonder why he didn't respond to the question--which is a decent question I think (as I responded to it). It seems like he wanted to pose a feud or something to that effect.
If he is standing on blind faith, then that's sad, but I've never heard of anyone convincing somebody of blind faith of anything.
If he isn't standing on blind faith, then it will be revealed promptly, for the truth cannot be long hidden, as the sun and the moon cannot.
with metta

ground

Postby ground » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:13 am

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 am

ground

Postby ground » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:11 am

Darren_86

Postby Darren_86 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:30 pm

Dear Andy,

Your term of human being reborn as human is too generalised and should not be compared apple to apple with the sutra, as they are 2 different senario.

Human being reborn as human; can and only happen if their merits are strong enough to be so, but not overly strong for they can be reborn in Deva or even Brahma realm.

Human, when commited evil karmas, will be reborn into the petas, asuras, animals, and hell being realms. However, this does not mean, that they will never be reborn as Human. Rebirth is just like a never ending cycle of changing our external appearance; while Buddhism teaches us not to cling to our external appearance and physical as they changed due to our constant fruit of karma or actions.

Subsequently, according to Buddhism, we have been in this path of rebirth for uncountable times, and would have been reborn as human as we are now for countless of times. The Buddha's sutras are only meant to explain the possibility of being reborn from Human to Human, while incorporating the concept of karma as the main source; so if we interprete it correctly, Buddha mean that for a Human being to be reborn as Human being the equilibrium of karma is very hard to achieve.

We should also understand that, the whole world system neither belongs to the Humans and Devas, but with all uncountable levels of beings, which in the past, had been Humans, but now reborn into other states. Hence, once their merits or demerits have exhausted, they would then be reborn into another physical body or realm. So, there will always be ' Humans being reborn into Humans'

Sadhux3

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Hello all,

The other realms, Devas, Devis, Brahmas, Hungry Ghosts, Nagas, etc, have been encountered by modern Thai meditation masters in the 20th century.

The Buddha taught the truth that was useful (MN58) no matter if the truth was pleasant or unpleasant for the listener. As I understand it, there is no useful lie.

If that is so, the teaching on other realms, rebirth, Brahmas, Devas and all the hellish and heavenly realms, is true and useful. So from the Sutta perspective, there cannot be any debate on that. And furthermore, these things were witnessed by various ascetic Thai meditation masters in the 20th century.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:10 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Last edited by clw_uk on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Last edited by clw_uk on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:00 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:03 pm

Don't forget to be polite.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 pm