Longde Root Tantras

Rinchen Dorje

Longde Root Tantras

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

ChNNR mentions two Longde root tantras in his book Longde Teachings, Longchen Rabjam Gyalpoi Gyud/The King of the Infinite Universe and Namkha Tang Nyampai Gyud/Equal to Space. Has anyone here ever read these? I am curious as to their length and if they have been translated into English or not. Are they like Heart Sutra length or Lotus Sutra length? Also for those familiar with Longde Root Tantras and Longde practice, what in your opinion, out of all of the Longde tantras would be the most direct and pithy for study that would aid one in actual practice and understanding of Longde? Thank you all in advance for your help and insight into this.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
arsent

Re: Longde Root Tantras

Post by arsent »

Hi, Fa Dao!
As a start point, take a look inside "The Space Section of the Great Perfection (rDzogs-chen klong-sde): a category of philosophical and meditative teachings in Tibetan Buddhism" by Sten Anspal. It is the only one available work (correct if I am wrong) in English about Longde and it could help you (it seems to me it has the first one tantra in appendix)...I can e-mail it to you if needed.
Anyone know something else in English available in this subject?
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Arsent,
that would be great if you could email that to me. [email protected]
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
arsent

Post by arsent »

that would be great if you could email that to me
done
Larkspurlazarus

Post by Larkspurlazarus »

could you please mail me that paper? [email protected]
thanks a lot! btw do you have sten anspa's another paper called "lost in space"?
ratna

Post by ratna »

Larkspurlazarus wrote:btw do you have sten anspa's another paper called "lost in space"?
That is just a condensed version of the longer thesis.

R
florin

Post by florin »

Fa Dao wrote:ChNNR mentions two Longde root tantras in his book Longde Teachings, Longchen Rabjam Gyalpoi Gyud/The King of the Infinite Universe and Namkha Tang Nyampai Gyud/Equal to Space. Has anyone here ever read these? I am curious as to their length and if they have been translated into English or not. Are they like Heart Sutra length or Lotus Sutra length? Also for those familiar with Longde Root Tantras and Longde practice, what in your opinion, out of all of the Longde tantras would be the most direct and pithy for study that would aid one in actual practice and understanding of Longde? Thank you all in advance for your help and insight into this.

Personally i found that when it comes to practice the most important and helpful are the teachings of CNNr based on the Vajra Bridge text.The four principles as explained in these commentaries are easy enough to understand and apply but not so easy to sustain that application for longer periods.
I would also be interested to hear from others who have extended experience with longde.
So far i have not met, known anybody who has practised longde in a consistent way over the years and made longde their only practice.
I have read somewhere that in the early '80's (81-82' maybe?) that for an entire year or so every retreat CNNr gave was on longde.If this is accurate i would really like to know if there are extant transcripts of those teachings .
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Alpha,
I have only been doing Longde since Rinpoche gave those last two retreats myself. However, like you, I have found that book to be extremely helpful. Primarily using the 4 Da to inform everything I do has made this Path much easier for me to understand. Unfortunately there is little else out there beyond that as I would really like to be able to deepen my understanding/Knowledge of Longde..but oh well, what can you do, right? Im 51 and it would simply take too long for me to learn to read Tibetan fluently enough so that I could read the primary Longde Tantras. I guess I will be at the mercy of the translators out there translating them and the various Longde practice manuals into English...
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

been a while, thought I would bump this and see if anyone has anything new on Longde...
heart

Post by heart »

Fa Dao wrote:been a while, thought I would bump this and see if anyone has anything new on Longde...
Malcolm mentioned somewhere that Jim Valby is the guy if you are in to Longde.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Thanks Magnus..I have had contact with him before and he has been quite helpful..however he is usually very very busy..I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of anything new out there..
florin

Post by florin »

Fa Dao wrote:Thanks Magnus..I have had contact with him before and he has been quite helpful..however he is usually very very busy..I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of anything new out there..
Have you had the chance to look at the new dvd where Fabio explains the positions?
I am thinking about buying it but first i would like to hear what others thought of it...
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

yes, I have all of the DVDs...theyre quite good and helpful

Return to “Dzogchen”