YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Agganna Sutta - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

Agganna Sutta

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
son of dhamma

Re: Agganna Sutta

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:23 am

Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:38 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:44 am

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am

Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:17 am

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:29 am

I see. As I said our practical experience is not the same--I didn't say that mine was 40+, I have only 3+ in this lifetime.
So, you say that the Buddha did not explain a cosmological system?
with metta

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 am

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 am

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:42 am

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:00 pm

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Last edited by Lazy_eye on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:10 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:19 pm

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Human beings, in this plane of existence, have always been the humans on this world. When they devolved from higher states and gross living matter (mold, fungi, r. plants, complex plants) evolved to generate a stable biological ecosystem into the continued evolution phase (where we are now), what human beings were was not biologically similar to what we are now, in the evolved phase. The world was evolving, higher beings were becoming what we are now. I am not claiming that there was a separate human species in the past, but that the human species was quite differently physiologically during the evolving phase. Make sense?
Thank you for at least listening to my explanation.
with metta

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:20 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 pm

son of dhamma

Postby son of dhamma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:41 pm

I think that's what I said a human being is.
I think that the theory of evolution as explained by spontaneous generation is "new age white-noise". I don't think that what I'm positing is correct, it's just an inference. The Buddha knew how humans appeared on earth, but he didn't explain it explicitly for a modern scientific context, did he? Therefore I don't know how human beings appear on a world during the evolving phase. I don't refute scientific evidence throw the Agganna Sutta on the top of the book-pile. I'm just reasoning. If that's not how humans arise, then fine. We can't ask the Buddha to explain it to us in our context, he is gone.
I didn't take any offense, but I don't want to mislead anyone.
with metta

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”