Nyala Rinpoche Rigdzin Changchub Dorje

Sherlock

Re: Nyala Rinpoche Rigdzin Changchub Dorje

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote:I found this. They don't have a pic of Changchub Dorje either, just a statue of him, but his granddaughter is there.

If you read this link and scroll down, there's a line about Changchub Dorje teaching that cutting a branch off a tree takes a year off one's life, interesting.

Another link to Rinchen Samdrup, according to this, he transcribed all of Changchub Dorje's surviving texts/
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Will wrote:Thanks Sunny, I hope a photograph will turn up also.
Maybe there's an old photograph of Rinpoche somewhere that has Changchub Dorje in it... this is one of the oldest photos I've seen of ChNN:

I'm sure taking photos was probably a rare occasion but you never know there could be one out there somewhere.

The old woman(?) is not his grandmother, she died when he was nine, I just read this from the Odzer Chenma booklet.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Sherlock wrote:Another link to Rinchen Samdrup, according to this, he transcribed all of Changchub Dorje's surviving texts/
One quick question: I've read that Changchub Dorje could not (or only barely) read and write. So who wrote all of these 8000 pages of texts mentioned in the link above?
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

His disciples probably, like ChNN. Actually I think it's unclear if he was really illiterate or just unschooled in all the classical literature. I hope the Communists only destroyed his discs and the texts are still somewhere.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Bhusuku wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Another link to Rinchen Samdrup, according to this, he transcribed all of Changchub Dorje's surviving texts/
One quick question: I've read that Changchub Dorje could not (or only barely) read and write. So who wrote all of these 8000 pages of texts mentioned in the link above?
Probably his scribes. Tertons often had scribes. They would read aloud what they saw in their visions and scribes would write it down.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherlock wrote:His disciples probably, like ChNN. Actually I think it's unclear if he was really illiterate or just unschooled in all the classical literature. I hope the Communists only destroyed his discs and the texts are still somewhere.

ChNN has a complete collection of all surviving manuscripts that made it through cultural revolution.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Sherlock wrote:His disciples probably, like ChNN. Actually I think it's unclear if he was really illiterate or just unschooled in all the classical literature. I hope the Communists only destroyed his discs and the texts are still somewhere.
Thanks, Sherlock & Clarence!
Malcolm wrote:ChNN has a complete collection of all surviving manuscripts that made it through cultural revolution.
I'm glad to hear that! But this guy, Rinchen Samdrup, has (or had?) even more texts from Changchub Dorje? Because from this blog post it's really not that clear, if everything he had has been destroyed, or if they only burned the cds...
Sally Gross

Post by Sally Gross »

Clarence wrote:
Bhusuku wrote:
Probably his scribes. Tertons often had scribes. They would read aloud what they saw in their visions and scribes would write it down.
In one of Rinpoche's books (I think it is The Crystal and the Way of Light) there is a line-drawing of Changchub Dorje. In the background there is a window, thorugh which ChNNR is shown taking dictation from Changchub Dorje. According to ChNNR, Changchub Dorje would dictate to students who knew how to write, and did so with notable clarity and fluency despite interruptions when patients came to consult him.
Dukkham eva hi, na koci dukkhito,
kaarako na, kiriyaa va vijjati,
atthi nibbuti, na nibbuto pumaa,
maggam atthi, gamako na vijjati

Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer,
no doer, though certainly the deed is found.
peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased,
the way is walked, but no walker's to be found.

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Sally Gross wrote: In one of Rinpoche's books (I think it is The Crystal and the Way of Light) there is a line-drawing of Changchub Dorje. In the background there is a window, thorugh which ChNNR is shown taking dictation from Changchub Dorje. According to ChNNR, Changchub Dorje would dictate to students who knew how to write, and did so with notable clarity and fluency despite interruptions when patients came to consult him.
Thank you, Sally! Now that you're mentioning it, I remember vaguely that I read this myself long ago.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

That's the drawing asunthatneversets posted on page 1. Yes, it's from Crystal.

Return to “Dzogchen”