Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra.

muni

Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra.

Post by muni »

By Arya Maitreya with commentary By Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche.

Roll down to the teaching please.

http://siddharthasintent.org/community/ ... raDJKR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michal

Re: Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra.

Post by Michal »

Yes, this is a great teaching with a fantastic commentary. :bow:

But I wonder, Uttaratantra is traditionally related to Kagyü lineage, no?

I mean, I have studied this Shastra a lot and I think I EVEN have to some extent understood its meaning. But as a dzogchenpa, do you think it is proper combination? Of course, there would not be some conflict, but I don´t know, whether it may not someway dislead me from my "tantric lineage" and whether it can be in kind of synergy with dzogchen practices like tregchöd :cheers: ?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Long out of print, but still a comprehensive translation of root text and Asanga's commentary:

http://lirs.ru/lib/uttara/A_Study_of_Ra ... i,1966.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Michal wrote:I mean, I have studied this Shastra a lot and I think I EVEN have to some extent understood its meaning. But as a dzogchenpa, do you think it is proper combination? Of course, there would not be some conflict, but I don´t know, whether it may not someway dislead me from my "tantric lineage" and whether it can be in kind of synergy with dzogchen practices like tregchöd?
Longchenpa quotes the Uttaratantra Shastra extensively in the Great Chariot (Shing rta chen po).
simhamuka

Post by simhamuka »

Michal wrote:Yes, this is a great teaching with a fantastic commentary. :bow:

But I wonder, Uttaratantra is traditionally related to Kagyü lineage, no?

I mean, I have studied this Shastra a lot and I think I EVEN have to some extent understood its meaning. But as a dzogchenpa, do you think it is proper combination? Of course, there would not be some conflict, but I don´t know, whether it may not someway dislead me from my "tantric lineage" and whether it can be in kind of synergy with dzogchen practices like tregchöd :cheers: ?
Uttaratantra (which discusses Buddhanature) is older than the Kagyud lineage in Tibet. Though other lineages may emphasize different texts on Buddhanature, they all discuss the topic.

Khenpo Tsultrim Gyatso's Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness presents the Uttaratantra as one stage towards mahamudra/dzogchen, so I don't think there's any argument. Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche at Nitartha Institute in 2001 described the Uttaratantra as the "bridge" between Mahayana and Vajrayana.

The perspective of Buddhanature is really important for understanding Vajrayana view, and for bodhichitta: http://nitarthainstitute.org/programs_o ... termediate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.

Return to “Nyingma”