YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Computer advice wanted - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Computer advice wanted

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
appicchato

Re: Computer advice wanted

Postby appicchato » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 am

Ditto... :coffee:

KonstantKarma

Postby KonstantKarma » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Let's not forget Open Office has compatibility for Office documents and is available for Windows, Linux and Mac.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Though of course you can always buy Office for Mac if you really love the Office software.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of Office 2000 and still run it... even though there's been a lot of Office versions afterward, I can do 2000 in my sleep; on newer versions I spend too long trying to figure out where all my features are. So at work I just install OpenOffice - If I have to figure something new out it may as well be OO.

I know that someday, sometime, I will have to let go of Office 2000 and move on. "It's okay to let go...it's okay to let go..."

Anyway, don't think switching platforms will suddenly render your documents unusable.

Good advice, andrer, regarding forgetting everything you know and re-learning on Mac; I may end up switching someday, myself, especially if I keep on with photography.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:53 pm

KonstantKarma

Postby KonstantKarma » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks Mike - Since I run Office 2000 and current OpenOffice I'm not up to speed with .docx formats and what that entails. The reason I run Office 2000 is because I know where everything is and can do it in my sleep; I tried the newest version of Office on a work PC and spent so much time trying to find everything I just ran OpenOffice - If I'm going to have to hunt for it anyway, I'd rather support them over MS. Thanks for those "improvements" there, Bill. I've noticed significantly less 'eggs' and other fun stuff in new corporate software... I guess there's no room for creativity when profit is on the march. I guess if/when my MS 2000 is no longer install-able on a new system that'll be the end of my dealings with it. Enjoying this convo, I was a DSL tech support dude in 2003.

This was the last Apple I used:

I'm hearing they've come a lot further!

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:53 pm

I think the current status is that Open Office can read but not write the new .docx format, but they will probably have that ability sooner or later. MS Office 2000 is no longer supported at all by Microsoft. 2003 is still supported and has pretty much the same user interface--that's what most of us still use at work. But all the new computers coming in are having 2007 installed on them, which is the .docx and ribbon interface thingy, so we have a mixture of both formats floating around.

By the way, after Oracle bought out Sun (which got them Open Office, MySQL, Java, etc) and started signaling that they are more interested in profits and suing people than supporting open source software, some of the open source projects have forked off into their own projects . So there is now the , which forked Open Office into Libre Office. Right now they are both the same, but over time they will diverge. It will be interesting to see how Libre Office develops.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:50 pm

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42 pm

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 am

poto

Postby poto » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:08 pm

I can't stand macs... mostly because they are so overpriced. Maybe if you have a lot of money to waste, it'd be ok to buy one, but I'm far too frugal for that.

Click thumbnail to see that I mean.

Go with linux or if you have to windows. If you really want to run OS X, just buy your hardware and install it yourself, save yourself a ton of money that way.

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm

I understand your requirements to be:

1 - Buy a desktop not too expensive
2 - That performs well form family use (Internet, Office & Multimedia)
3 - That will allow you to continue using the software you have today on XP

Where is my advice:
Advice number 1: There are four variables that affect performance (CPU, HardDrive, RAM memory and Graphics Card). You can check their rankings on this Website (), what I did when I bought my last laptop was I weighted the several variables and come up with a combination that was balanced, but it took me three months to choose, so I am not sure if that is a good practice :).

Advice number 2: Choose a vendor based on their technical support ability and warranty offers. The location of the nearest support center or shop, as well as their reputaion, is also important.

Advice number 3: Your computer will keep you satisfied for a limited amount of time (3-4 years), take that in mind.

Advice number 5: Don't worrie too much about models and technical details, it will drive you crazy, but understand enough to be able to chose wisely.

Advice number 6: Office 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft, since July 2009, so ponder replacing it by Office 2010, Open Office or even Google Docs.
With Metta

andre9999

Postby andre9999 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Google Docs hadn't occurred to me. A good suggestion worth trying out.

JeffR

Postby JeffR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks all!

Good stuff to contemplate.

-Jeff :buddha2:

Return to “Lounge”