Yeshe Tsogyal/Vajrayogini

sangyey

Yeshe Tsogyal/Vajrayogini

Post by sangyey »

What is Yeshe Ysogyal's relationship to Vajrayogini?
Malcolm

Re: Yeshe Tsogyal/Vajrayogini

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote:What is Yeshe Ysogyal's relationship to Vajrayogini?
Tsogyal is considered to the a nirmanakāya, Vajrayogini is considered to be the Sambhogakāya; Samantabhadri is the Dharmakāya.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

:anjali:
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

I'm familiar with Vajrayogini from the Kagyu perspective, but how common is she in Nyingma lineages? (I am aware of the somewhat artificial dichotomy here).
Are there terma practices of Vajrayogini that are used within a Nyingma and Dzogchen context?

Edit: PS I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I hope the original question is sufficiently answered by Malcolm's reply. I would however be interested to know, if there are Nyingma practices of her, in the same dancing posture, and if Yeshe Tsogyal plays a role in the Sadhanas.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kelwin wrote:I'm familiar with Vajrayogini from the Kagyu perspective, but how common is she in Nyingma lineages? (I am aware of the somewhat artificial dichotomy here).
Are there terma practices of Vajrayogini that are used within a Nyingma and Dzogchen context?

Edit: PS I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I hope the original question is sufficiently answered by Malcolm's reply. I would however be interested to know, if there are Nyingma practices of her, in the same dancing posture, and if Yeshe Tsogyal plays a role in the Sadhanas.

Vajrayogini in various forms is a critical Anuyoga practice in many, many, cycles of teachings, beginning with the Khandro Nyinthig, which set the pattern for the rest.
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Malcolm wrote:
Kelwin wrote:I'm familiar with Vajrayogini from the Kagyu perspective, but how common is she in Nyingma lineages? (I am aware of the somewhat artificial dichotomy here).

Vajrayogini in various forms is a critical Anuyoga practice in many, many, cycles of teachings, beginning with the Khandro Nyinthig, which set the pattern for the rest.
I've practiced her in other forms, like Throma Nagmo, but haven't encountered her yet in the same 'Kagyu style' red form, dancing on one leg. But she will be there again then, once I dive more deeply into the Nyingthig's? That, somehow, is reassuring :namaste:
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kelwin wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

I've practiced her in other forms, like Throma Nagmo, but haven't encountered her yet in the same 'Kagyu style' red form, dancing on one leg. But she will be there again then, once I dive more deeply into the Nyingthig's? That, somehow, is reassuring :namaste:
This form is found in Khandro Nyinthig.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

How about relationship with Tara?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote:How about relationship with Tara?

Tsogyal is considered an emanation of Tara as well. This is why for example in the Togyal cycle in Longchen Nyinthig there is a special section for combining mantras of tara with Dechen Gyalmo pratice.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

You'll find Varahi in the Bumzang, which is included in the Rinchen Terdzo.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Who is Varahi?
deff

Post by deff »

Vajravarahi, a form of Vajrayogini: http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Vajravarahi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :smile:
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is Vajrayogini understood differently in Nyingma? I also heard that she has a form giving birth (to spiritual attainments)?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

The so-called "Kagyu form"--left leg down, right leg drawn up, right arm brandishing Driguk, left holding kapala at heart--is iconographically the same as Indrabuhuti's Vajrayogini. The Karma Kagyu Yogini/Varahi practices revolve around this iconographical form. Vajravarahi is the inner form of Tsogyal, while Troma is the innermost form...

My point was that you will find the iconographically same form in the Nyingma terma traditions, most notably in the Bumzang, which was an earlier collection of Terma liturgy, and which was a major inspiration for the Rinchen Terdzo--modern editions of Rinchen Terdzo contain quite a few Bumzang empowerments and practices.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
simhamuka

Post by simhamuka »

conebeckham wrote:The so-called "Kagyu form"--left leg down, right leg drawn up, right arm brandishing Driguk, left holding kapala at heart--is iconographically the same as Indrabuhuti's Vajrayogini. The Karma Kagyu Yogini/Varahi practices revolve around this iconographical form. Vajravarahi is the inner form of Tsogyal, while Troma is the innermost form...

My point was that you will find the iconographically same form in the Nyingma terma traditions, most notably in the Bumzang, which was an earlier collection of Terma liturgy, and which was a major inspiration for the Rinchen Terdzo--modern editions of Rinchen Terdzo contain quite a few Bumzang empowerments and practices.
In Nyingma she's also in Tulku Migyur Dorje's Nam Cho. In the guru yoga section of the ngundro you visualize yourself as Vajrayogini with Padmasambhava above your head.
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.

Return to “Nyingma”