CONFUSED

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
dakini_boi

CONFUSED

Post by dakini_boi »

I was having a talk with a healer I'm seeing, and we were exploring beliefs I have that are limiting me. We kept coming back to the fact that I don't believe the universe is a safe, supportive place. She is encouraging me to try to develop beliefs such as that the universe loves me and supports me - and I agree that if I actually could accept these things, I would have a lot less anxiety. Only thing is, I'm confused about how it fits into my Buddhist path. . . we pray "from the turbulent waves of birth, old age, sickness and death, this ocean of conditioned existence, may all beings be liberated." Basically sums up my view of the universe - that it's just a place of pain and suffering. Yet I do believe that our beliefs condition our reality, and I would like to accept that the world supports me. Honestly, if I didn't have so much anxiety about fitting into this universe, if I really had a sense that the universe was a loving place, I think my dharma practice would yield much more fruit.

Any thoughts?
Lhasa

Re: CONFUSED

Post by Lhasa »

You might want to look into the guided meditations online on ustream by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. He has some on youtub too.
I have found them to be powerful for dissolving issues such as you mentioned. :namaste:
ram peswani

Post by ram peswani »

dakini_boi wrote:I was having a talk with a healer I'm seeing, and we were exploring beliefs I have that are limiting me. We kept coming back to the fact that I don't believe the universe is a safe, supportive place. She is encouraging me to try to develop beliefs such as that the universe loves me and supports me - and I agree that if I actually could accept these things, I would have a lot less anxiety.

Ram ...This is first stage of Buddhism. I call it hinayana system. Universe loves and supports you develops positive thoughts, strength, and well being. Only when you have stabilised in this state, you should move further to next stage.

Only thing is, I'm confused about how it fits into my Buddhist path. . . we pray "from the turbulent waves of birth, old age, sickness and death, this ocean of conditioned existence, may all beings be liberated." Basically sums up my view of the universe - that it's just a place of pain and suffering. Yet I do believe that our beliefs condition our reality, and I would like to accept that the world supports me. Honestly, if I didn't have so much anxiety about fitting into this universe, if I really had a sense that the universe was a loving place, I think my dharma practice would yield much more fruit.

Any thoughts?
Ram.... This is second stage. After stabilising in first stage one enters the second stage (mahayanist). Here thro compassion you connect with others and you will feel that this is place of pain and suffering.

YOu may have to go back to first stage again and again from second stage to recoup . This is the true bhoddisattva path.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dakini_boi wrote: She is encouraging me to try to develop beliefs such as that the universe loves me and supports me
Well that's one side but I would argue that it's a view that is afraid to embrace suffering and karma.
- and I agree that if I actually could accept these things, I would have a lot less anxiety.
Why do you have anxiety? What's that about?

You and everyone you know is doing to die eventually. You and everyone you know will undergo some kind of gross suffering at some point. But that does not mean that you experience relentless gross suffering (for example you weren't born into a concentration camp like some people are). The fact that suffering pervades reality has a deeper meaning that just the experience of gross suffering.
and I would like to accept that the world supports me.
Does the world support you? Does the world not support you? Think about your life and circumstances.
Honestly, if I didn't have so much anxiety about fitting into this universe, if I really had a sense that the universe was a loving place,
Is the world a loving place? This is supposed to be Shakyamuni's Pure Land but it has many flaws. Can we transform it into a loving and supportive place?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote: Any thoughts?
Part of your primordial state is thugs rje -- what could be more comforting than that?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Which is the real you?

You can identify with the impermanent, sorrowing world & worldly nature we all have, which is illusory.

Or have confidence that our true nature is Buddha-like, surrounding us with wisdom, compassion & power; not to mention that countless buddhas & bodhisattvas make up this universe and are also a source of blessing.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
greentara

Post by greentara »

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. The buddha left home as a young man because he saw the suffering both gross and subtle around him and wanted to understand the great mystery and the nature of existence.
The yogis say when enlightened all is seen as blissful oneness and there is no separateness. To pretend all is well and joyful in the world before you breakthrough the veil of samsara is just 'pie in the sky' stuff. It's best to have a discriminating mind and not deceive oneself.
Caz

Post by Caz »

It is unwise to accept the view she offers because the nature of Samsara is suffering as soon as it bites you again this view shall be destroyed. This view she has does not employ the methods with which to develop this idea, In order to turn the universe in to a pureland you need to develop certain qualities of mind such as Renunciation, Great Compassion, Bodhichitta, The correct view of emptiness and finally come to engage in Tantric practice to actually transform ordinary appearance into that of a pureland.
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Any thoughts?
Generally, if you're confused about something just take the time to relax and meditate then gradually become Unconfused. . .
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

dakini_boi wrote:I was having a talk with a healer I'm seeing, and we were exploring beliefs I have that are limiting me. We kept coming back to the fact that I don't believe the universe is a safe, supportive place. She is encouraging me to try to develop beliefs such as that the universe loves me and supports me - and I agree that if I actually could accept these things, I would have a lot less anxiety. Only thing is, I'm confused about how it fits into my Buddhist path. . . we pray "from the turbulent waves of birth, old age, sickness and death, this ocean of conditioned existence, may all beings be liberated." Basically sums up my view of the universe - that it's just a place of pain and suffering. Yet I do believe that our beliefs condition our reality, and I would like to accept that the world supports me. Honestly, if I didn't have so much anxiety about fitting into this universe, if I really had a sense that the universe was a loving place, I think my dharma practice would yield much more fruit.

Any thoughts?
I would try taking a course of vitamin D and try increasing your yang chi.

Kevin
SooYiMongSeng

Post by SooYiMongSeng »

One time a teacher said, "We suffer less once we accept that we will always suffer." Suffering is inevitable...but maybe if you can build yourself to the ability of embracing both that idea he spoke of AND the suffering itself (that you actively experience) with compassion, gentleness, loving-kindness, maybe even a willingness... maybe...you will liberate yourself from suffering?

You won't completely be free from suffering ever, but once you build this skill, that suffering will have no affect on you because you understand it's origination, it's cause and ultimately effect.

That is just one possible interpretation from what the teacher said.

My favorite quote from the a sutra on loving-kindness was "happy, at rest." That seemed to strike a resonance with the peace that might come with dealing with suffering this way.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”