Book Recommendations on Bön/Dzogchen

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
Thomas Amundsen

Book Recommendations on Bön/Dzogchen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend some great books on Bön and/or Bön's Dzogchen? I'm not sure if those two topics are separable, anyway. Also, if it's pertinent, I'm not really interested in formally practicing as a Bönpo, I am a Nyingma practitioner that wants to learn more about Bön and hopefully figure out for myself what aspects of the Nyingma tradition are influenced by Bön.

Thanks!
florin

Re: Book Recommendations on Bön/Dzogchen

Post by florin »

tomamundsen wrote:Hi,

Can anyone please recommend some great books on Bön and/or Bön's Dzogchen? I'm not sure if those two topics are separable, anyway. Also, if it's pertinent, I'm not really interested in formally practicing as a Bönpo, I am a Nyingma practitioner that wants to learn more about Bön and hopefully figure out for myself what aspects of the Nyingma tradition are influenced by Bön.

Thanks!
Hi.
Here are a few titles which i think are relevant to your question.

1.Bonpo Dzogchen Teachings
according to Lopon Tenzin Namdak.

2.Heartdrops of Dharmakaya
by Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen.

3.The oral tradition From Zhang Zhung.

To my knowledge these texts are publicly available.
zamongyal

Post by zamongyal »

Hi,
I do not have a book to recommend to you but I do recommend that you connect with the 7th Kundrol Rinpoche. He is the head of the New Bon lineage and he would be able to answer your question best. He is a terton that has discovered and embraced both Bon and Nyingma texts in his previous lives. As a young tulku, he spent many years at a Nyingma monastery in Northern India as well. If I get a chance I will ask him and report back =)

Tashi Delek,
ZM
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche - Unbounded Wholeness & Wonders of the Natural Mind

Samten Karmay - The Great Perfection

Donatella Rossi - The Philosophical View of the Great Perfection in the Tibetan Bon Religion

Ratka Jurkovic - Prayer to Ta pi hri tsa: A short exposition of the Base, the Path and the Fruit in Bon Dzogchen teachings (PDF)

A Collection of Studies on the Tibetan Bon Tradition (PDF)
zamongyal

Post by zamongyal »

Quote BhusukuRe: Book Recommendations on Bön/Dzogchen
by Bhusuku » Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks for this! An excellent resource to share with beginners and good for me too. What is the copyright on it? I looked online briefly to see if it is sold somewhere??? perhaps you could post a link?
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

zamongyal wrote:Thanks for this! An excellent resource to share with beginners and good for me too. What is the copyright on it? I looked online briefly to see if it is sold somewhere??? perhaps you could post a link?
Sorry, no clue about the copyright. AFAIK, it's not available in book format and it seems to be a compilation of various articles that are freely available on the web (at least most of them I also found scattered on different websites).
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

It's a wonder why not a single book of JLA appears here. So you have (in English only) :

1. The Three Precepts (from the ZZNG) published by the Naldjor Institute, 2005.

2. The Dawn of Awareness, published by the Naldjor Institute, 2006.

3. The Four Lamps (from the ZZNG) published by the Naldjor Institute, 2007.

4. The Instructions on the Primordial A (from A-khrid), published by the Naldjor Institute, 2008 (a new edition is on its way from Vajra books).

5. The Precepts in Eight Chapters (from the ZZNG), published by the Naldjor Institute, 2010.

Five more to come...
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

JL is also connected to Naldjor publications, where he does excellent translations.

Below a list about some very good books :D

Mutsog Marro
KY

Naldjor Institute for Movement and Tibetan Yoga,
is happy to give you a preliminary list of its actual and forthcomming publications and some of its projects.

Noticing on these forums and elsewhere some concerns about the responsibility of safeguarding the most secret Dzogchen instructions on the practice of Clear Light (´od gsal) we want to stress that we are perfectly aware of all the practitioners´ responsibility for maintaining the proper transmission and responsibility to practice individually after having received the full empowerments, transmissions and complete instructions (dbang lung khrid).

Our Books are from the oral instructions of our Masters, as well as translations from Tibetan and commentaries for the Study and Practice of the ancient Dzogchen Traditions of the Yungdrung Bön as well as for the Secret Mother Tantras. The precious translations with commentaries are mainly done by Jean-Luc Achard.

Naldjor – Institute for Movement and Tibetan Yoga promotes the study and practice of the ancient and authentic Dzogchen teachings. The transmision of the Dzogchen Zhangzhung Nyengyü has been handed down in an unbroken lineage of realized masters. One of the most important texts, the Zerbu (gZer bu nyer gcig gi gzhung), states that at the behest Tapihritsa they were set down by Gyerpung Nangsher Löpö in letters of turquoise on white paper or birch bark like conch shells. It is our intention to follow this tradition by providing study and practice materials of high quality, in order sustain study and practice, both individually and collectively with other practitioners. Thus we may live up to fulfill the direct transmission received through our masters Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoches, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, Khenpo Tenpa Yungdrung Rinpoche and others.

If You wish to order and receive further information about the activities and publications of Naldjor or if You want to contribute to further publications write to: Cristina Figueiredo, email: [email protected]

All payments (add S/H) by Bank order to: V.Kalinowski, Sparkasse Ndb-Mitte,
Bank code 74351310, bank acount 100 410 950
IBAN: DE92 7435 1310 0100 4109 50
SWIFT-BIC: BYLADEM1DGF

You find this list also as word attachment

Zhangzhung Nyengyü Studies
In collaboration with Khyung-mkhar Association

Vol. 1 The Three Precepts, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. With a transcription of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Euro 9.-

Vol. 2 The Dawn of Awareness, The Practice Manual for the Special Preliminaries of Dzogchen. With a Timetable for a Retreat of Special Preliminaries as elaborated by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. By Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Euro 15.-

Vol. 3 The Four Lamps, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. With a transcription of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor, 2007 Euro 15.-

Vol. 4 The Six Essential Points, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. With a transcription of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Forthcomming June 2008 Euro 15.-

Vol. 5 The Eight Precepts, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor, Forthcomming Euro 25.-

Vol. 6 The Six Lamps, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor, Forthcomming Euro 25.-

Zhangzhung Nyengyü Manual Series

Vol. 1 The Iconography of the Lineage of the Dzogchen Zhangzhung Nyengyü, Forthcomming

Vol. 2 The Direct Introduction to the Naked View, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhang Zhung. Instructions on the Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyü according to the Practice Manual of Dru Dyalwa Yungdrung. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Euro 15.- Restricted
Forthcomming November 2008

Vol. 3 The Main Dzogchen Practices, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhang Zhung. Instructions on the Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyü according to the Practice Manual of Dru Dyalwa Yungdrung. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Euro 15.- Restricted

Vol. 4 The Instruction on the Meditation on the Clear Light and the Progression in the Main Dzogchen Practices. Dzogchen practices of the Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyü according to the Practice Manual of Dru Dyalwa Yungdrung. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Euro 15.- Restricted

Zhangzhung Nyengyü Teachings

The Experiential Transmission of Drugyalwa Yungdrung, Vol. One Ngöndro Dzogchen Preliminary Practices. Oral Commentary by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche Euro 15.-

The Experiential Transmission of Drugyalwa Yungdrung, Vol. Two Ngö Zhi – The Main Instructions of the Principal Practices on the Profound Essential Points. Oral Commentary -Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche Eur 15.- Restricted

The Experiential Transmission of Drugyalwa Yungdrung, Vol. Two Plus Ngö Zhi – Supplement, The Practices to Progress in the Main Practices. Oral Commentary by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche Euro 12.- Restricted

The Experiential Transmission of Drugyalwa Yungdrung, Vol. Three Yenlag – The Ancillary Instructions on the Boundless View. Oral Commentary by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche Euro 15.-

The Instructions on the Primordial A

Vol. 1 The Instructions on the Primordial A, The Fifteen Sessions of Practice. Guru-yoga Instructions without Characteristics and Phowa Teachings. By Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Euro 15.- NEW June 2008

The Secret Mother Tantra Series
(now available as DIN-A 4 print)

The Essence of Primordial Wisdom in the Continuity of the Mother - Magyü. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Euro 25.-

The Essence of the Elements in the Continuity of the Mother - Magyü. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Euro 25.- Restricted

The Essence of Generation in the Continuity of the Mother - Magyü. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Forthcoming November 2008 Euro 25.-

The Essence of the Four Dimensions in the Continuity of the Mother - Magyü. Oral Commentary by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Forthcoming Jan. 2009 Euro 25.-

Zhangzhung Nyengyü Instructions
(now available as DIN-A 4 print)

The Twenty-One Seals - Zerbu, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhang Zhung. Oral Commentary by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche Euro 45.-

Dzogpachenpo Zhangzhung Nyengyü Tsa Lung Trulkhor, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhang Zhung. Instructions on the Trulkhor according to the oral tradition of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Anweisungen gemäß der Praxislinie von Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche Euro 25.- German/ Deutsch

Zhangzhung Nyengyü Images

The Twenty-Four Masters of the Single Tansmission who attained the Rainbow body plus Tapihritsa and Nangzer Lopö a. o.
Set of 5 book markers with exquisite traditional Tibetan linedrawings Euro 2.-

The Twenty-Four Masters of the Single Tansmission who attained the Rainbow body plus Tapihritsa and Nangzer Lopö and Yongdzin Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche with his master.
Set of 5 book markers with exquisite traditional Tibetan linedrawings Euro 25.- Forthcoming October 2008

If You wish to order and receive further information about the activities and publications of Naldjor or if You want to contribute to further publications write to: Cristina Figueiredo, email: [email protected]

All payments (add S/H) by Bank order to: V.Kalinowski, Sparkasse Ndb-Mitte,
Bank code 74351310, bank acount 100 410 950
IBAN: DE92 7435 1310 0100 4109 50
SWIFT-BIC: BYLADEM1DGF

Zhangzhung Nyengyü Studies
In collaboration with Khyung-mkhar Association

Vol. 1 The Three Precepts, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. With a transcription of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Euro 9.-

Vol. 2 The Dawn of Awareness, The Practice Manual for the Special Preliminaries of Dzogchen. With a Timetable for a Retreat of Special Preliminaries as elaborated by Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. By Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Euro 15.-

Vol. 3 The Four Lamps, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. With a transcription of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor, 2007 Euro 15.-

Vol. 4 The Six Essential Points, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. With a transcription of Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche´s teachings. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor. Forthcomming June 2008 Euro 15.-

Vol. 5 The Eight Precepts, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor, Forthcomming Euro 25.-

Vol. 6 The Six Lamps, From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in Zhangzhung. Translation of the root-text and commentary by Jean-Luc Achard, Naldjor, Forthcomming Euro 25.-
The best meditation is no meditation
Pero

Post by Pero »

mutsuk wrote:...
Five more to come...
Ok, not Bon, but how about the 17 Upadesha tantras? Any chance they get translated in English? I think JL said probably not in the past, but I was wondering if maybe there are any changes. :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek Mutsog,

Can one obtain without problems my above mentioned book list?
I mean are there restrictions to obtain them?

Herewith is meant that there are published books who do need special commitments etc. before one can read the realted books. For instance Gerd Manusch has that opinion. So some books seems to be restricted at Naldjor........

But on the other hand are there a lot of books sold in the bookshops where that opinion is not maintained.

Mutsog Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

zamongyal wrote:Quote BhusukuRe: Book Recommendations on Bön/Dzogchen
by Bhusuku » Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks for this! An excellent resource to share with beginners and good for me too. What is the copyright on it? I looked online briefly to see if it is sold somewhere??? perhaps you could post a link?
Just finished reading this. It was great! Thanks!
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

Just bought this book:
The philosophical View
of the Great Perfection
in the Tibetan Bon Religion

Written by Donatelli Rossi Ph.D in History of Religious and Tibetology from the University of Oslo, Norway. She currently lives in Portland, Oregon, where she continuous her research on the Great Perfection in the Bon Religion.
I saw here one time in Menri Monastery Dolanji.

Its a great book which explains realy the point of view in Bon Dzogchen.
Many great persons did made assistence to compile this book.

Some of them are:
The Menri Ponlop Trinley Nyima Rinpoche
Dan Martin
Prof. Samten G. Karmay
Prof. Per Kvaerne
Prof. Katsumi Mimaki
Prof. Anne-Marie Blondeau
Prof. Jens Braarvig

Snowlion
ISBN 1-55939-129-4
Printed in Canada
21.95 $ in the USA