how to stay awake during meditation?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Frank

how to stay awake during meditation?

Post by Frank »

tips? tricks? ideas? experience? anything helps :smile:

i do anapanasati.
krodha

Re: how to stay awake during meditation?

Post by krodha »

Getting drowsy while meditating can happen for lots of reasons, could be a sign that you're too relaxed, finding that balance is key. If you get tired then intensify your focus, if you're too tense then ease up. Make sure you're choosing times during the day/night which are conducive for staying awake. Keep your eyes open, if you get tired then try focusing on an object and pretend you're going to pierce right through it with your gaze. If that doesn't work get up and walk around for a bit, do some stretches etc... A warm room could put you to sleep so a moderate to cool environment works best. Perhaps try to meditate away from areas you usually associate with sleep/rest.
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

:good:

Also, if dullness or drowsiness are becoming a recurring problem, then noticing the mind's clarity at the beginning of a sitting period and remaining attentive to sustaining that clarity can be helpful. It can also be helpful in this regard to keep sitting periods short, and take a short break between sits. Hence the adage found in some mahāmudrā teachings, "At first, train in short sessions, repeated many times." The quality of awareness is most important.

In general, the sūtras & śāstras recommend antidotes such as attending to a perception of light (ālokasaṃjñā), or engaging in walking meditation, or reciting sūtras (either silently or out loud), etc. For example, see AN 7.58.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Open your eyes and look slightly upwards.

If it is cold don't wrap up your upper body. Only your legs.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Frank wrote:tips? tricks? ideas? experience? anything helps :smile:

i do anapanasati.
Depending on how long you sit and how far into the session - My trick has been to just go to sleep. I hardly sleep for more than 10 minutes anyway and it's not very deep and once I snap out of it, Imy mind is refreshed and relaxed, just the ticket for meditation really. It's a quick way of dealing with the drowsiness that can otherwise last an entire session.

If I can actually sleep through an entire session it's because I am dead tired and probably need the sleep more than the meditation.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Nemo wrote:Open your eyes and look slightly upwards.

:good: Yes. Also, you can bring your focus to your third eye/crown chakra. You can breathe through there. - experience, especially the breath coming through nose and invigorating third eye area (between eyebrows)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Anders Honore wrote:

i do anapanasati.
Depending on how long you sit and how far into the session - My trick has been to just go to sleep. I hardly sleep for more than 10 minutes anyway and it's not very deep and once I snap out of it, Imy mind is refreshed and relaxed, just the ticket for meditation really. It's a quick way of dealing with the drowsiness that can otherwise last an entire session.

If I can actually sleep through an entire session it's because I am dead tired and probably need the sleep more than the meditation.

i'm intrigued. what posture(s) do you use?
Frank

Post by Frank »

dakini_boi wrote:

:good: Yes. Also, you can bring your focus to your third eye/crown chakra. You can breathe through there. - experience, especially the breath coming through nose and invigorating third eye area (between eyebrows)

i love hindu meditation techniques! or is this tibetan? either way, always interesting stuff! thanks!
Frank

Post by Frank »

I have actually tried sitting out in the cold with light clothing (50-60 degrees or so, nothing dangerous, just uncomfortable) and even though I start off cold, after twenty minutes or so I start to nod! I actually wonder if sitting in the woods at night would work or make me end up able to fall asleep anywhere, any time because I will just get used to every thing I try lol!
Anders

Post by Anders »

Frank wrote:
Anders Honore wrote:

i do anapanasati.

i'm intrigued. what posture(s) do you use?
Lotus. Both half and full.

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Frank

Post by Frank »

Anders Honore wrote:
how the hey now do you fall asleep in lotus or half? i mean i doze, but can't actually snooze.
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Frank wrote:
Anders Honore wrote:
how the hey now do you fall asleep in lotus or half? i mean i doze, but can't actually snooze.
People in three year retreat sleep like that for 3 years 3 months and 3 days in one of these... Image Not necessary full lotus but crosslegged sitting upright
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Frank wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:

i love hindu meditation techniques! or is this tibetan? either way, always interesting stuff! thanks!
Well, Tibetan meditation also makes use of third eye/crown chakra. Especially focusing there when there is sleepiness. I thought using the breath in this way, into the chakra, would help to integrate your anapanasati with the awareness of the chakra. So it's just a slight change from what you're doing.
Frank

Post by Frank »

dakini_boi wrote:
Well, Tibetan meditation also makes use of third eye/crown chakra. Especially focusing there when there is sleepiness. I thought using the breath in this way, into the chakra, would help to integrate your anapanasati with the awareness of the chakra. So it's just a slight change from what you're doing.
awesome, thanks!
Anders

Post by Anders »

Frank wrote:
Anders Honore wrote:
Well, the lotus is stable enough for it. All that happens is that your upper body starts to rock gently back and forth. I think it may be a question of how relaxed (and therefore stable) your lotus posture is. If your muscles aren't already fully relaxed, going to sleep where they do relax might mean that your legs start shifting or sliding, which would make tend to wake you up.

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
maybay

Post by maybay »

eat less
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
krodha

Post by krodha »

Frank wrote: how the hey now do you fall asleep in lotus or half? i mean i doze, but can't actually snooze.
The more you meditate the stronger your clarity will become, the strength of your awareness will increase. If you can, try being mindful throughout the day in all activities, remain relaxed but keep a sharp attention, try not to day dream... act like you're driving a car and have to remain aware of all that's going on around you. This will cultivate your mind's clarity, in time when you go to sit your stream of awareness will be unerring and unassailable, the dullness that causes you to tire won't be an issue.
Challenge23

Post by Challenge23 »

i do anapanasati.
Well, here is what I find works pretty well.

Short, more frequent sessions.
Proper diet(less sugar, lighter foods right before meditation).
Proper sleep schedule.
A proper exercise routine involving cardiovascular exercise ,weight training, and flexibility training.
IN THIS BOOK IT IS SPOKEN OF THE SEPHIROTH & THE PATHS, OF SPIRITS & CONJURATIONS, OF GODS, SPHERES, PLANES & MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST. IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THEY EXIST OR NOT. BY DOING CERTAIN THINGS CERTAIN RESULTS FOLLOW; STUDENTS ARE MOST EARNESTLY WARNED AGAINST ATTRIBUTING OBJECTIVE REALITY OR PHILOSOPHICAL VALIDITY TO ANY OF THEM.

Wagner, Eric; Wilson, Robert Anton (2004-12-01). An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson (Kindle Locations 1626-1629). New Falcon Publications. Kindle Edition., quoting from Alister Crowley
Frank

Post by Frank »

Anders wrote:
Frank wrote:
Anders Honore wrote:
Well, the lotus is stable enough for it. All that happens is that your upper body starts to rock gently back and forth. I think it may be a question of how relaxed (and therefore stable) your lotus posture is. If your muscles aren't already fully relaxed, going to sleep where they do relax might mean that your legs start shifting or sliding, which would make tend to wake you up.
oh okay, i get it.
Frank

Post by Frank »

maybay wrote:eat less
this does help

Return to “Meditation”