Gampopa's Crown

LukeMajewski

Gampopa's Crown

Post by LukeMajewski »

Hey

I'm intrested in Gampopa's Crown, it's meaning, how did he get it and so on. I'd like to know as well, why Karmapas wear it more often than the Black/Vajra Crown when it comes to rituals.

Any help appreciated
Regards
Josef

Re: Gampopa's Crown

Post by Josef »

Tibetans like cool hats.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
LukeMajewski

Re: Gampopa's Crown

Post by LukeMajewski »

Now that's for sure. Meanwhile I've found this about Gampopa's:
One day Milarepa came and told him that he has to leave and go to the East direction to Tibet near the Nepal borders where you will encounter a mountain called Gampo Dharjere and looks like a King Mountain surrounded by 7 smaller ones that acts like minister to the King. The mountains itself is grown with all kinds of trees, grass and flowers very similar to a Mandala, this auspicious location will prosper in the near future. Milarepa prophesied that Gampopa should stay there and he will be able to benefit many sentient beings that will seek his teachings and instructions. Milarepa also presented Gampopa with a Hat that shapes like the Gampo mountain, this hat is also known nowadays as the Gampopa Hat normally seen worn by Vajra Masters during ceremony and rites.

Return to “Kagyu”