Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State

Stewart

Re: Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State

Post by Stewart »

Blue Garuda wrote:'Crystal' ordered. Seems unavailable on Amazon UK but easy to order secondhand.

Until then I'll have to make do with Longchenpa's 'Natural Perfection' (Keith Dowman) which I picked up after a Dzogchen Rinpoche empowerment. It was OK for the train journey home, but a bit too simple to keep my attention for more than an hour or so...

Joking. ;)
You won't regret it....I first read it in '98, completely opened my eyes. Read it several times since, still have the old battered copy, yellowing pages, and a 'mirror image' misprint cover. Love it.

At the moment I am reading 'Ground, Path and Fruition' by Tsoknyi Rinpoche. I agree with Paul, the 'As it is' books by TUR are incredible.
s.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Well, for reference, some terminologies 'describing' the true nature of Bodhicitta in Dzogchen are Thig-le Nyag-gcig (see Unbounded Wholeness by Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche) and Changchub-Sem (see The Supreme Source by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche) 'understood' as being inseparable.
Paul

Post by Paul »

samdrup wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:'Crystal' ordered. Seems unavailable on Amazon UK but easy to order secondhand.

Until then I'll have to make do with Longchenpa's 'Natural Perfection' (Keith Dowman) which I picked up after a Dzogchen Rinpoche empowerment. It was OK for the train journey home, but a bit too simple to keep my attention for more than an hour or so...

Joking. ;)
You won't regret it....I first read it in '98, completely opened my eyes. Read it several times since, still have the old battered copy, yellowing pages, and a 'mirror image' misprint cover. Love it.

At the moment I am reading 'Ground, Path and Fruition' by Tsoknyi Rinpoche. I agree with Paul, the 'As it is' books by TUR are incredible.
If you like that Tsoknyi Rinpoche book (and I love it) please have a look at "A Meditator's Guide to the Great Perfection? by Mingyur Rinpoche - you can buy it here: http://www.tibet.dk/pktc/transpaper.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is fantastic.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Hey Paul,

Yeah its great, and I have the Mingyur Rinpoche book on order, plus I've received the oral teachings direct from MRin....going to attend a Dzogchen retreat with Tsoknyi Rinpoche next year....they are an all round amazing family!

Do you go to Samye Ling? So do I....I lived there for years, worked in the office, we've probably met :)

Stewart.
s.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Blue Garuda wrote:While on books, I'ne not read a reference to Lama Surya Das and his book and CD 'Natural Radiance' .

It is a text many will encounter due to his name being familiar but is there a reason he is not mentioned - maybe too commercial or simplistic?
I'm not particularly drawn to his writings—or even the writings of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche or Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche—for some reason. Although maybe this is only based on my current limitations....

Regarding Western authors of books on Dzogchen, I'm more interested in the writings of John Myrdhin Reynolds, Keith Dowman, Jean-Luc Achard, and Richard Barron's translations of Longchenpa Rabjampa's Seven Treasuries and Nyoshul Khenpo's Marvellous Garland of Rare Gems. Alexander Berzin's website has some essays on Dzogchen that are interesting.

Also, Tulku Thondup's classic English translation of The Practice of Dzogchen by Longchen Rabjam (or any of Tulku Thondup's other works).

And anything on Dzogchen by Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, Dudjom Rinpoche, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, H.H. the Dalai Lama, and Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche.

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's Cycle of Day and Night and The Mirror as well, since they haven't been mentioned yet.

:anjali:
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Jinzang wrote:
ChNN has asserted that it may have influenced Chan.
Chan was well established before Dzogchen got off the ground.
Actually, in the OP I was going to state how much it sounded like Chan teachings.
Thought against it on the grounds of the storm that may kick up...

~~ Huifeng
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I honestly think that due to Malcolm's extraordinary candor that we are well past such alarms and discursions. I certainly hope so anyway.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Human activities always resound like each other ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Paul

Post by Paul »

samdrup wrote:Hey Paul,

Yeah its great, and I have the Mingyur Rinpoche book on order, plus I've received the oral teachings direct from MRin....going to attend a Dzogchen retreat with Tsoknyi Rinpoche next year....they are an all round amazing family!

Do you go to Samye Ling? So do I....I lived there for years, worked in the office, we've probably met :)

Stewart.
Yes, I have been to Samye Ling regularly for the few months - every four weeks to seek the Tibetan Doctor as well as a to do courses. I'm the mid 30s 6'4" Yorkshire guy with a Berghaus duvet jacket. I often would be with James or Richard (who's just left).

I can promise you that you will have a very good time with Tsoknyi Rinpoche. Is it going to be in Bruton or Holy Island?

You're right about it being an amazing family. i can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have Tulku Urgyen as a dad.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Hey Paul ,

I'll keep an eye out for you, I was talking to Dr Dhonden around Akong Rinpoches birthday, you may have been around.

It's on Holy Isle, I've been there before but never met Tsoknyi Rinpoche before, have corresponded with him via email, he gave me sound advice. Mingyur Rinpoche is very close to him and advised that his students should rely on TR, so going to attend this retreat.

perhaps see you at Samye Ling!

Stewart.

ps. I noticed your comment on an earlier thread about going out in the grounds at night, I assume you mean Samye Ling? Don't worry Ive wondered around everywhere at every hour :) its 'safe' :)
s.
Paul

Post by Paul »

samdrup wrote:ps. I noticed your comment on an earlier thread about going out in the grounds at night, I assume you mean Samye Ling? Don't worry Ive wondered around everywhere at every hour :) its 'safe' :)
No, I'm not on about Samye Ling - that place definitely seems safe. I was on about a place near me that really seems very weird indeed. There's just this constant feeling of things lurking in the tree line. It's odd...

Return to “Dzogchen”