The Six Yogas of Naropa: Tsongkhapa's Commentary

Huifeng

The Six Yogas of Naropa: Tsongkhapa's Commentary

Post by Huifeng »

Hi,

Just about to finish reading The Six Yogas of Naropa: Tsongkhapa's Commentary.
Quick question - while this is I guess technically a Gelug text,
what's the Kagyu take on Tsongkhapa's commentary?

~~ Huifeng
Lingpupa

Re: The Six Yogas of Naropa: Tsongkhapa's Commentary

Post by Lingpupa »

In the west Tsongkhapa is mostly known for his idiosyncratic take on emptiness teachings. It seems, however, that he was more noted (more prolific?) as a tantric commentator and practitioner, and he had strong roots in the Kagyu tradition. So while of course this text is only authoritative for someone receiving the transmissions of that particular lineage, it is quite interesting and informative.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

I don't know. However, Lord Atisha is one of the (minor) Kagyu Lineage Gurus since Lord Gampopa was a Kadampa monk, so I can't imagine it's too hostile.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Huifeng wrote:Just about to finish reading The Six Yogas of Naropa: Tsongkhapa's Commentary.
Quick question - while this is I guess technically a Gelug text,
what's the Kagyu take on Tsongkhapa's commentary?
I don't know about a Kagyu take, but I recall recognizing a few differences in emphasis or even interpretation between Je Tsongkhapa and Kagyu authors on the subject. The best English translation of Kagyu teachings on the six dharmas is The Quintessence of Nectar: Instructions for the Practice of the Six Dharmas of Naropā by Shamarpa Chokyi Wangchuck, translated by Peter Alan Roberts in Mahāmudrā and Related Instructions: Core Teachings of the Kagyu Schools. There are also two older English translations. One is The Epitome of an Introduction to the Six Yogas of Naropa by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal, translated by Garma C.C. Chang (which is and English translation of a Chinese translation of the Tibetan original), published under a couple of different titles including Teachings and Practice of Tibetan Tantra. The other is The Yoga of the Six Doctrines by Padma Karpo, translated by Lama Kazi Dawa Samdup, published in Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines.
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

BTW, all three of these Kagyu texts are included in the Dam-ngak Dzo compiled by Jamgön Kongtrül.

Return to “Kagyu”