How to learn from a Teacher of the Dharma <?>

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Wesley1982

How to learn from a Teacher of the Dharma <?>

Post by Wesley1982 »

If I can't understand the teacher of the dharma(s) how I will learn it? . .
DGA
Former staff member

Re: How to learn from a Teacher of the Dharma <?>

Post by DGA »

Ask questions when possible.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Second make sure you avoid the many Buddhist cults out there.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Many questionable groups can be found here: http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-c ... nable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course this isn't an exhaustive list...
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Wesley1982 wrote:If I can't understand the teacher of the dharma(s) how I will learn it? . .
This practice will remove obstacles to your learning the Dharma.

Start regularly, every day (more than once if possible) visualizing for at least five minutes, a small, radiant Buddha of golden light sitting (or standing) in space, about 5 or 6 feet in front of you. After one or two minutes of seeing this beautiful Buddha, imagine a brilliant ray of light coming from his heart to your heart and filling you to overflowing with wisdom, so that you become radiant yourself. The ray from the Buddha remains connected to you and pulses slowly, gently & regularly with more surges of wisdom-light.

End the practice by thanking the Buddha and vowing to memorize a few lines of a favorite teaching by Buddha.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Wesley1982 wrote:If I can't understand the teacher of the dharma(s) how I will learn it? . .
I would recommend reading The Words of My Perfect Teacher - http://www.amazon.com/The-Words-Perfect ... 181&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Although it is geared towards Tibetan Vajrayana, there are a few good sections on how to learn from a teacher that I believe apply to any tradition. Towards the beginning, there is advice on how to listen to a teaching. Then there is a whole large section on "how to follow a spiritual friend."
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

If I found a teacher I would ask about 'American Zen' and how to 'visualize' the Dharma.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Will wrote:This practice will remove obstacles to your learning the Dharma.
Is it obstacles in the lifestyle and the thinking of the mind? . .
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Wesley1982 wrote:
Will wrote:This practice will remove obstacles to your learning the Dharma.
Is it obstacles in the lifestyle and the thinking of the mind? . .
Yes - and others - in short, all of them.

But it will not happen instantly and it will help if you add body & speech to this practice. Before visualizing, quiet yourself with some deep breaths, then bow three times, from the waist, while sitting. At the same time say "I take refuge in Amitabha Buddha" three times. Amitabha means Boundless Wisdom, and he has a close connection to humanity, so he is a good one to help you.

Keep an eye out for a real guru, that is the best advice. Hopefully there is one not too far away from you.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I see. Then what is my problem I want to relate and socialize normally with other people but theres not anyone there? . .
Josef

Post by Josef »

Wesley1982 wrote:If I found a teacher I would ask about 'American Zen' and how to 'visualize' the Dharma.
Why?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Nangwa wrote:Why?
I thought it would be a neat alternative to traditional mainstream Christianity.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

By the way Wesley, your signature has the Heart Sutra mantra wrong. It should be:
Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Thanks.

Whats the Buddhist treatment for the subtle delusion or illusion in the mind? . .
SooYiMongSeng

Post by SooYiMongSeng »

What do you mean by "subtle delusion" or "illusion in the mind?"

Those could be two separate things depending on what you're addressing.

And by treatment, do you mean antidote? or do you mean medicine?
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

What do you mean by "subtle delusion" or "illusion in the mind?"

a) "Not seeing clearly with the eye of truth"
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

And by treatment, do you mean antidote? or do you mean medicine?

proper medicine prescribed by a Dr. = treatment of the illness
SooYiMongSeng

Post by SooYiMongSeng »

My understanding is that the subtle delusion you speak of is separate from "illusion" of the mind in that delusion incorporates illusion of the mind and illusion of the mind does not always incorporate delusion.

As for my most direct answer, I believe what you're asking about as far as treatment would be "meditation." To me, meditation serves as this "medication" or "treatment." But I'm aware that there are also things called "proper antidotes" to "poisons"--- I believe the most fundamental being ignorance, attachement and anger.

These three poisons need proper antidotes and with proper application of the antidote, you can purge your being of those three fundamental poisons. I"m sure there are others: such as improper speech, improper thought, improper method.

I am not advanced enough to go into detail beyond those three fundamental components of any delusion.

I think meditation serves as the treatment. There are various forms of meditation of course, one of the useful ones that might help with your delusion would be analytical meditation.

But perhaps breathing meditation would be the best for you at first if you haven't done so already.

I'm sure there are many other individuals here who may provide more insight on this answer to your question.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

The 'subtle delusion' I borrowed in this context is actually from the Christian Philokalia which is called 'Prelest" or spiritual delusion.

Its actually a specified condition that faith-based christian believers can suffer.
SooYiMongSeng

Post by SooYiMongSeng »

I know very little about "prelest" but from what it sounds like... a monk once recollected that a woman went to a meditation retreat and was doing well but apparently had been using the wrong method. Every time she meditated she would say, "wisdom, wisdom, wisdom" and it eventually drove her mad.

I wish I had more details on the wisdom that the monk ellaborated on but from what my teacher has relayed to me (I'm sorry I always use this as a reference but none of these are my original ideas):

Everything is generally an illusion of some sort... visualizing, sensations, even emotions you feel even in the context of buddhism. But this is not to be taken in the most literal sense. I'm not really an expert on this but it's more of a "everything comes and goes so what does it really matter?" that incites a sort of detachement from experience as well. It's useful to analyze but it's not useful to internalize to a great extent.

From what I understand, the only truth, and maybe spectrum opposite from delusion/delest/illusion would be the Dharma itself.... but from I understand.. enlightenment, nirvana.. samadhi.. are all "truth" and that is "knowing" ... and "no-self" and "non-existence."

Anyone have any other thoughts on this? I'm afraid I'm not doing the best job here :)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”