YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hello everyone :-) - Dhamma Wheel

Hello everyone :-)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
katehopeeden

Hello everyone :-)

Postby katehopeeden » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Hello, my name is "Kate" and I am a long-winded, thirty year old single mom to three lovely girls. We live in the Texas Hill Country, near San Antonio.
As a child and a young adult, I never really found myself interested in religion... I went through many phases and tried different thought processes on. In my early twenties, I learned that I was content not having the answers and I think that in accepting that, I somehow opened myself up. My first real feelings of being connected to anything was in learning about Natural Pantheism. Then, two years ago, I was introduced (not literally) to Eckhart Tolle and read A New Earth. I learned a lot about my mind and the choices I was thinking/making. I began changing them.
I feel like this year has been a major turning point for me in learning and practicing.
Through Eckhart Tolle's books and recorded retreats and teachings, I began hearing a lot of different things about Buddhism. I began to do a lot of online searching and felt very strongly that I wanted to visit a Buddhist center. Turns out there was one in my town of less than ten thousand people. I have no idea how long it has been here but I do know that I must have driven past it a thousand times in the ten years I have lived here. Funny how you don't notice something until you look for it huh? :-)
After seeking the advice of everyone here (thank you so much!) in another thread, I drove there Tuesday evening and found myself to be the only person in a room with three monks. It was a lovely experience. They gave me a lot of reading material which I am trying to power through and I feel very lucky to have access, so closely (ten minutes away) to answers for any questions that I might have.
So I am very new to all of this but I am REALLY enjoying reading through the threads and am super happy to meet all of you!
Thanks for having me ;-)

Ben

Re: Hello everyone :-)

Postby Ben » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Kate

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Kate. :smile:

Welcome!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Greetings Kate,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 am

Hi Kate,

You've stumbled across another great resource. May you find true happiness in this lifetime. Sukhi hotu!

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:25 am

Welcome Kate,

Congratulations on making the effort!

:anjali:
Mike

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:26 am

Small town, 3 monks, lucky you! :smile:
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Return to “Introductions”