Refuge precepts tradition question

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Refuge precepts tradition question

Post by sangyey »

As far as I understand the refuge precepts come from two traditions: one from Asanga's and another from the 'Oral Tradition.' I am trying to find out what the Oral Tradition or as A.Berzin's site say the quintessence teachings are?

Thnak you.
sangyey

Re: Refuge precepts tradition question

Post by sangyey »

Does anyone know what work this is?

man-ngag-las 'byung-ba'i bslabs-bya

Trying to find what the other lineage of the Refuge Vows is besides that from Asanga and his Bodhisattva Levels.

Thank you.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Are you asking about the two traditions of the Bodhisattva Vow, in Tibetan traditions? I'm not aware of two separate lineages of refuge, but there are two lineages of Bodhisattva vow....
Asanga's is known as the "Tradition of Vast Activity." Nagarjuna's lineage is that of the "Profound View," and was passed down via Shantideva.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

sangyey wrote:Does anyone know what work this is?

man-ngag-las 'byung-ba'i bslabs-bya.
This means something like "the topic (or focus) or learning, following the the oral instructions"--
Can you give us more info, like the rest of the title, or the author's name, or the colophon?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... efuge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen the second tradition of the precepts appear in such works as Words of My Perfect Teacher with the three actions to be abandoned ie, taking refuge in worldly deities, abandon harming beings, and associating with non-buddhist philosophers and the three actions to be accepted such as respecting images of the Buddha, respecting Dharma texts, and Sangha or representations of them.

Then I have seen in addition to those precepts the precepts from the other tradition (Asanga's) presented in Tsongkhapa's Lam Rim Chenmo and which Alexander Berzin discussed about.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”