Compassion is more than your books.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Dechen Norbu

Re: Compassion is more than your books.

Post by Dechen Norbu »

muni wrote:
muni wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7IPDfC3yg

Is it possible moderators to undo that second youtube in my earlier post, I already here deleted? Thank you very much. :namaste:

Furthermore i must say: all is compassion, we cannot close our eyes and hold on theoretical dharma, dharma must emerge in daily life, we are not separate.
We can't undo your posts, muni. Once you change/delete a post and submit it, that's it. We can move, delete, merge, edit and so on, but undoing is not available. :smile:
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Tony, You got it backwards friend. Dharma is not about paranoia, thinking the unreal to be real, but it is realizing there is no reality. That all is unreal. This realization dissolves all anxieties and one attains inner peace in the holy life. A dharma person realizes this truth by looking within, not by worrying about politics in the three realms. I hope you come to see that, then you will see your views as part of the equality of all things, all things being on par with space, nothingness, etc.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Tony said: "That the three poisons were the three kayas. Therefore everything was symbolic...
...everything was the symbolic teacher..everything reflected absolute truth."
Tony, My feeling is that you are looking Janus-faced at this issue and are in the midst of a little muddle. 1) The three poisons are the three kayas if and only if you have the key view of self-liberation via rigpa. 2) Everything is symbolic is the attitude of deluded conceptuality that still holds to self and other, but if one is an arya bodhisattva then one can receive the symbolic transmission from the sambhogakaya and then symbol-ultimate meaning are nondual. 3) Everything is the symbolic teacher if you accept the truth of karma. 4) Everything reflects absolute truth if you can remain nondistracted from the dharmakaya. 5) Tears to your eyes is the reaction of a fortunate disciple who has gained faith in the buddhadharma and in the teacher, but still clings to self and other. While striding upon the path, it is common to become disoriented. After all, we are only talking about your infinite lives in samsara. Of course, all these infinite illusions are not just going to give up, hence, your upwelling of fear and your understanding of the remedy regarding demons. You are in the ocean. The waves are high. The raft is upon you. You are holding onto the rope, and have pulled your body half-way up precariously pulling away from the choppy seas. Hold on tight to that rope (rigpa), and the raft (faith in karma and the three jewels), and you will get to the shore (complete nondistraction from rigpa).
muni

Post by muni »

neerdowell wrote:Yep. I wonder why it is that Christians generally know more about it.
That The Dalai Lama said once as well, in a teaching about the Paramitas (transcendent perfections).

Whether we learn from eachother or not. :anjali:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Budhism is not about paranoia, it is about overcoming parnoia BUT you don't have to become paranoid in order to overcome paranoia. Conspiracy theories are about becoming paranoid, they are about seeing connections and patterns where none actually exist. Conspiracy theories do not help one overcome paranoia, they are about reifying the non-existent, stirring the muddy water instead of letting it settle, filling the mind and adding layers of meaning instead of simplifying mind to it's very basis. They are a waste of our precious human time. That's why "lama's" stare at you blankly when you give them your spiel.

Focus o your practice Tony and leave the rest aside, when Yama comes calling (and he could come at any moment) he is not going to give a s**t if you have established a link between side saddle equestrian sports, masonic teutonic plasmology and third world international debt for space project funding. He won't care in the slightest!
Tibetan Buddhism Wheel Of Life 03 Yama.JPG
Tibetan Buddhism Wheel Of Life 03 Yama.JPG (49.31 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

:good:
Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

Alot of what you are saying has merit, but you go too far by trying to depict an unbroken genetic elite descending from Sumeria till today. The structure of society and social events matter. Maybe very few can hide and escape their affects with meditative induction in retreat centers, in caves, in the home, in monastic communities, but most won't. That is why I personally feel it is so beyond smug to act like dharma is a cure all. Even most teachers and source texts say you are lucky to even have discovered the path to have a chance to practice. I saw a Youtube video of a monk imprisoned by the Chinese and tortured, but still the only thing he wished for was the well being of his torturers. Obviously most people won't reach that state.

I have noticed that many here don't seem to me that much more ethical or concerned than the social mainstream. I think to have real compassion in a complex society that you can never really understand your place in, or the effects of your actions, requires a type of anti-establishment knowledge a few compassionate Western intellectuals developed. Buddhist texts cannot be a replacement for that.
muni

Post by muni »

Thrasymachus wrote:A
I saw a Youtube video of a monk imprisoned by the Chinese and tortured, but still the only thing he wished for was the well being of his torturers. Obviously most people won't reach that state.

.... knowledge a few compassionate Western intellectuals developed. Buddhist texts cannot be a replacement for that.
Too much mind too less heart. The fact is that compassion is mostly not further then in books. It is something what is less important. Recipes for bread collected from all over the world, will not prevent one to die from starvation. Same way with dharma study and emerging the meaning.
To merely digg in the intellectual mind sounds much more cool. But this itself, grasping to tool, is in buddhism ignorance-suffering. Genuine compassion never can be without wisdom, since it is an aspect of wisdom. Wisdom is not merely intelligence, war need a lot of intelligence as well. Wisdom is beyond apprehended stuff or the paths of apprehended dharmas which are tools we cannot take for 'lasting truth'. Therefore we must release knowledge in order to transcend.

Whether we use dharma-knowledge for entertainment or the meaning is crushing ego-suffering, penetrating so called daily life, so that one truly can understand to be just nature, then others-me separations aren't and care for ALL is spontaneous. Then there are no states to reach.
There are no ladders in the sky.
muni

Post by muni »

There are many having a very hard life, having been tortured and so chronical problems-practice, that itself gives such a strenght to apply dharma in each breath. Those who harm us, do so since they do not understand. No genuine peaceful being will harm, I guess. To can truly be there for others (compassion), specially those who harm, is deleting ones own suffer.

One can maybe call it in some way 'clever selfishness'.

ps compassion is not the same a pushing sweet chocolat in a mouth with rotten teeth. Then dentist is efficient. :tongue:
muni

Post by muni »

hello Tony!

I don't know about retired and high low, but if I may share here few words from Shechen Gyaltsap regarding Great Perfection;

"Understanding can by a student with devotion, perseverance and the compassionate Guru's blessings. Absolute truth, arising from itself, is realized through faith alone".

"Arising from itself", then it is clear the enslaving ego will not realize "nature", rather creates more artificial dream, same artificial quality as itself.

muni

Post by muni »

Some words by His Holiness the Dalai Lama:

Even when we engage in ordinary conversation in everyday life, if someone speaks with human feeling we enjoy listening, and respond accordingly; the whole conversation becomes interesting, however unimportant the topic may be. On the other hand, if a person speaks coldly or harshly, we feel uneasy and wish for a quick end to the interaction. From the least to the most important event, the affection and respect of others are vital for our happiness.

The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater our own sense of well-being becomes. Cultivating a close, warm-hearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. This helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the ultimate source of success in life.

Compassion and responsability:
You should realize that even though your opponents appear to be harming you, in the end, their destructive activity will damage only themselves. In order to check your own selfish impulse to retaliate, you should recall your desire to practice compassion and assume responsibility for helping prevent the other person from suffering the consequences of his or her acts.

Compassion/love is very important for the brain development, our health...Recently I met a group of scientists in America who said that the rate of mental illness in their country was quite high-around twelve percent of the population. It became clear during our discussion that the main cause of depression was not a lack of material necessities but a deprivation of the affection of the others.
muni

Post by muni »

short one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20MnLcOL7Ks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

long one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... SL_xvokoF8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul

Post by Paul »

Blue Garuda wrote: Gurus refer a student to someone else when they feel the student would benefit, so I would like to offer the following excellent site for those interested in conspiracy theories, chemtrails of benzodiazepine, and the The Necronomicon of Abdul Alhazred:
http://forum.davidicke.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the rest, follow the Flight of the Garuda, not the Flight of Fancy. ;)
I'll see your David Icke and raise you http://www.whale.to/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I feel like I'm handing a loaded gun to a toddler posting that...)
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Off Topic Posts Removed.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Lounge”