The Diamond Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Re: The Diamond Sutra

Postby greentreee » Tue May 15, 2012 3:15 am

i just thought i'd add my copy to the list, at least the one of two translations i have.

Diamond Sutra Explained by Master Nan Huai-Chin *Translated by Hue En (Pia Giammasi)

it's been awhile since i have read it, and later lent out but never got it back, so i bought a new one that's not really been open yet.
scratching thick hair'd head,
"if air can be conditioned,
like where's the shampoo?"

"greentreee"
greentreee

Postby Leo Rivers » Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 am

Manuscripts in the Schoyen Collection: Buddhist Manuscripts - Vol. 1 by Jens (editor) Braarvig (Hardcover - 2000)
1 used from $1,185.46 :broke:
Paul Harrison, 'Vajracchedikā Prajñāpāramitā: A New English Translation of the Sanskrit Text Based on Two Manuscripts from Greater Gandhāra', contained in Jens Braarvig, Paul Harrison, Jens-Uwe Hartmann, Kazunobu Matsuda & Lore Sander, eds., Buddhist Manuscripts in the Schøyen Collection, Hermes (Oslo 2006)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/8280340017/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&redirect=true

Image :reading:
Leo Rivers

Postby greentreee » Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 pm

hi leo,

at first i was curious as to what relevance the schoyen collection had to do with the Diamond Sutra, so i wiki'd it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoyen_Collection
"Some ancient Buddhist manuscripts, taken from Afghanistan to preserve them from the Taliban." is this what is in the book?

i wouldn't be surprised if copies of the Diamond Sutra were found there, considering the long history of Buddhism in the area, even going as far as Greece for example. the wiki on greco buddhism on wikipedia is an interesting read.

but wasn't the Diamond Sutra the first Chinese Sutra written? i could be wrong, i am quite often.

i know how books appreciate in value, some books i have, are sometimes 3 times more expensive on amazon, then i go find another publisher in another country and find it at normal price. for example i recall seeing The Kamasutra of Vatsyayana for 150$ new on amazon, then went to a publishing company in india and it was 50$ and i got 25% off and free shipping due to the xmas holiday.

just thought i'd share.
scratching thick hair'd head,
"if air can be conditioned,
like where's the shampoo?"

"greentreee"
greentreee

Postby Will » Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 pm

My goodness Leo, you need to shop around more. There are several other sources online that only charge the bargain basement price of $700. :tongue:
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Previous

Return to Sūtra Studies