Teach & tell me about buddha mind

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Wesley1982

Re: Teach & tell me about buddha mind

Post by Wesley1982 »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote: Wesley, I cordially challenge you to locate a world separate from consciousness.
The middle-center of a large concrete block? . . -or- the concrete + asphalt jungles we've created? . .
And how does the concrete block appear? Take the grey color, and the cube shape; do those attributes exist separately from the seeing of them? Are the greyness and the visual shape qualities which can be accessed without vision?
If we take a large metal cubit and pour concrete into it and let it dry for a few weeks then there is no consciousness in that concrete cubit.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote: If we take a large metal cubit and pour concrete into it and let it dry for a few weeks then there is no consciousness in that concrete cubit.
Ok, well you seem to have your mind made up! And that is ok.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Its also interesting to try and understand the mental reasoning behind certain prisoners who have a history of violence.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Wesley1982 wrote: I think my original intention was to say that in my current location theres only few people in-between. "here and there" . .
Well where ever you are every human and animal and insect you see has a mind. All of them are experiencing suffering even if they don't know that. The Buddha gave teaching to get us out of suffering. The primary way to begin this is to develop lovingkindness (the intention for all beings to be happy) and compassion (the intention that all beings be free from suffering) for all beings. These qualities are essentially the core of the Buddha mind. In fact if we singlemindedly pursue compassion that alone can bring us to enlightenment over many lifetimes. I'm sure there are people near you who in fact pursue loveingkindness and compassion in their own lives and in their own way as these are essentially the core values of all religions.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:Its also interesting to try and understand the mental reasoning behind certain prisoners who have a history of violence.
There's a big difference between attempting to theoretically understand the behavior of inmates, and then Buddha mind which is an inexpressible truth meant to be experienced. Buddha mind isn't a theory or an intellectual understanding.

If you hold tightly to your assumption that the world is a "physical" construct composed of matter you aren't going to get very far. It's best to let go of all presuppositions in this teaching and let the pointers work for themselves. Otherwise you poison the process with pre-conceived notions which block potential change. Look at Buddhism as unlearning all that you think you know, if you go into a process of unlearning firmly attached to what you think you know, you're damned to remain stagnant.

Being "open" will take you a long way in this. Watch that within yourself, prime example being your answer to my question about colors and shapes above, you completely disregarded it and just insisted on sticking to your usual reasoning (which is fine). But I saw that in your response, and I'm not about to press the issue if someone isn't even open to investigating their point of view. Pushing a point of view (or new idea) onto someone who isn't even interested is the quickest way to make someone clam up even further and refuse to listen. But that's ok, we all have to evolve on our own terms in these teachings. Just keep in mind that your normal perception (and point of view) is what Buddhism is meant to change so if you aren't open to that, and insist that what you think you know is correct, change cannot happen.

Some good advice is to remain open, keep an open mind. I personally seek to be proven wrong, I always want to adapt and progress. I never insist that I know, and when i see that I'm wrong or i'm shown a better way to view something i embrace it. I'm metaphorically always shedding my skin so I can grow. And that doesn't mean I just blindly accept anything that comes along that sounds better, I empirically investigate, investigation is the key. Don't even accept what I'm saying right now either, just consider being open to change, if you can do that the dharma will lead you places you never could have imagined.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

The physicality of our physical human nature is just one aspect.

[the basics] examine and study my own mind & look deep inside deep down in the mind and uproot the small problems clearing the mind which opens its way to meditation and the general dharma(s).
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote: The physicality of our physical human nature is just one aspect.
All I can ask is that you remain open to the possibility that physicality is an illusion. I'd never ask you to believe that it's an illusion, because that would be the same as believing it's real... But keep an open mind.
Wesley1982 wrote: [the basics] examine and study my own mind & look deep inside deep down in the mind and uproot the small problems clearing the mind which opens its way to meditation and the general dharma(s).
Meditation IS examining the mind and uprooting problems, there's no prerequisites to meditation except knowing how to do it right. And examining the mind is doing it right.

Investigate the "you" who is doing the investigation of the mind as well... Try this meditation exercise if you'd like, it's quite powerful: Inquire "who am I?" and look deep down, deep inside the one doing the investigating (the same way you're looking deep down deep inside the mind like you mentioned above). If any label or concept arises to describe the "I", ask "who is it that witnesses this label or concept?" you should naturally answer "I do" and then immediately ask "but who am I?". Keep that up until all answers are exhausted, and when no answer arises, look deeply into the nature of that silence.

I'm no teacher, and not trying to act like one so by all means disregard my suggestion if you want to... but do give it a shot if you feel inclined to do so!
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Wesley - here's what you should do: Have fun, make a lot of money, make people proud of you - be kind. Travel, explore, read, enjoy. Don't get stuck in some head trip about buddha dharma because after all, what counts in this so-called life are not words but actions. Do good. Don't hurt people. Don't mess with their heads or your your own - be sincere. What more should you want?
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Kirt, emptiness is empty! (thank you), but it is also fullness.

Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

White Lotus wrote:Kirt, emptiness is empty! (thank you), but it is also fullness.

Tom.
Exactly so - however I think it is premature to introduce emptiness in an initial conversation about Buddha mind.

Basically Buddha mind is unselfishness, kindness, love, compassion and wisdom. When these qualities are completely developed and all selfishness, unkindness, hatred and ignorance is eliminated then people have attained Buddhahood.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I just found out the problem in my thinking.

It is the desire for or attachment of being around people or having company. :namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Wesley1982 wrote:I just found out the problem in my thinking.

It is the desire or attachment for being around people or having company. :namaste:
There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to be around people. Most people can't be hermits and for most people long term solitude isn't healthy. And we can almost always help people more effectively if we do so in a group.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

kirtu wrote: There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to be around people. Most people can't be hermits and for most people long term solitude isn't healthy. And we can almost always help people more effectively if we do so in a group.

Kirt
At least we can meet and discuss here at Dharma Wheel.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I also understand that if I don't ask for medicine and healing in my mind & uproot all the poisons/problems then I'll go through life disappointed and "wandering" in search of something thats not there. :namaste: -("treatment of illness in the mind")-
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

There is also the entire subject of Buddhist philosophy of mind. ... :namaste:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”