Rebel Buddha by DPR

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Rebel Buddha by DPR

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

The few Dharma talks I have seen by him I liked alot. Could't find a thread on the book, is it a "basics of Buddhism" book?

I'm not a multi-dimensional super scholar like some of you :heart: , but I read sutra, commentary etc. without much problem.

So is this book something I would find edifying, or is this mainly a text explaining basic tenets in a readable way?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
justsit

Re: Rebel Buddha by DPR

Post by justsit »

"Rebel Buddha" is basics from a modern perspective and with practical applications.

If you are looking for something a bit more scholarly (not shedra stuff, though), try Wild Awakening, Penetrating Wisdom or Mind Beyond Death.

DPR also teaches at the highest level most summers at Nitartha Institute in Bellingham, WA. His Nalandabodhi organization offers a full 3 yana curriculum (vajrayana courses limited to DPR students), some courses available online.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

justsit wrote:"Rebel Buddha" is basics from a modern perspective and with practical applications.

If you are looking for something a bit more scholarly (not shedra stuff, though), try Wild Awakening, Penetrating Wisdom or Mind Beyond Death.

DPR also teaches at the highest level most summers at Nitartha Institute in Bellingham, WA. His Nalandabodhi organization offers a full 3 yana curriculum (vajrayana courses limited to DPR students), some courses available online.

Yeah, i'm not far away and he comes highly recommended by my sangha, probably worth a trip some time! I will check out one of the other books, thanks!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

For an introduction with a similar style I would recommend "What Makes You Not a Buddhist" by Dzongsar Kyentse Rinpoche, in my opinion, it is the better read.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

For an introduction with a similar style I would recommend "What Makes You Not a Buddhist" by Dzongsar Kyentse Rinpoche, in my opinion, it is the better read.
Punya

Post by Punya »

I'm reading Mind Beyond Death at the moment. For someone like myself who is a bit past beginner and understands some basic buddhist concepts I think it provides some very clear explanations. I especially like the Stage of Meditation section.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
greentara

Post by greentara »

"There’s a rebel within you. It’s the part of you that already knows how to break free of fear and unhappiness. This rebel is the voice of your own awakened mind. It’s your rebel buddha—the sharp, clear intelligence that resists the status quo. It wakes you up from the sleepy acceptance of your day-to-day reality and shows you the power of your enlightened nature. It’s the vibrant, insightful energy that compels you to seek the truth" At first glance it looks good but on closer inspection I'm not so sure. It reminds me of all those 'spiritual warrior" books that were published around10 years ago. Starting with ....how to be a hero?

Return to “Book Reviews”