Vajra Armor

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
dakini_boi
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Vajra Armor

Postby dakini_boi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Just wondering, is Vajra Armor practice used for emotional disorders?
How about lung imbalance, for example insomnia? Or would there be other practices more specific to such things?

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm

dakini_boi wrote:Just wondering, is Vajra Armor practice used for emotional disorders?
How about lung imbalance, for example insomnia? Or would there be other practices more specific to such things?


The collection of activities for Vajra armor states:

"This Vajra armor volume of mantras destroys all of the four hundred and four classes of disease, the one thousand and eighty classes of spirits, the eighty-four bad omens, the three hundred and sixty calamities, the eighteen kinds of untimely death, and so on."

I'd say it is pretty inclusive.

M
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

pemachophel
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby pemachophel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Just in case you're not familiar with the concept of the 404 diseases in TM, when the text says "404 kinds of disease," that means the 101 kinds of wind disease plus the 101 kinds of bile disease plus the 101 kinds of phlegm disease plus the 101 kinds of combined disease for a total of 404 diseases. Thus wind disease are definitely implied in the source text even if the word "wind" is not specifically mentioned. So rest your mind on this point and have no doubt about this mantra's supreme curative effectiveness.

Good luck and good recitations.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

dakini_boi
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby dakini_boi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks you guys. I didn't know what the 404 diseases were, your clarification helps, Pema Chopel.

Why does the text say "volume of mantras"? - I thought there was just one Vajra Armor mantra

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:33 pm

dakini_boi wrote:Thanks you guys. I didn't know what the 404 diseases were, your clarification helps, Pema Chopel.

Why does the text say "volume of mantras"? - I thought there was just one Vajra Armor mantra


There is only one mantra. Here volume is a translation of 'bum,which also means 100,000. So it means this mantra includes everything. If I translated is as "the one hundred thousand mantras of Vajra armor" you would even be more confused, in addition to such a translation being incorrect.

N
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

dakini_boi
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby dakini_boi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Haha, yes that's true. Thanks for the clarification.

Just one more question about the Vajra Armor mantra - I know there's no visualization for it, but I'm curious - who is the deity associated with it? Is it Vajrapani, or Guru Dragpo? Or are these one and the same in this case?

Thanks for answering my questions, I offer you several recitations of Vajra Armor. :smile:

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:54 pm

dakini_boi wrote:Haha, yes that's true. Thanks for the clarification.

Just one more question about the Vajra Armor mantra - I know there's no visualization for it, but I'm curious - who is the deity associated with it? Is it Vajrapani, or Guru Dragpo? Or are these one and the same in this case?

Thanks for answering my questions, I offer you several recitations of Vajra Armor. :smile:



Padmashavari, a form of Vajrapani. There are in fact versions of this practice that are full fledged yidam practices.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3526
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Vajra Armor

Postby Adamantine » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Namdrol wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:Thanks you guys. I didn't know what the 404 diseases were, your clarification helps, Pema Chopel.

Why does the text say "volume of mantras"? - I thought there was just one Vajra Armor mantra


There is only one mantra. Here volume is a translation of 'bum,which also means 100,000. So it means this mantra includes everything. If I translated is as "the one hundred thousand mantras of Vajra armor" you would even be more confused, in addition to such a translation being incorrect.

N


Is it definitely not related to reciting one bum?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Return to “Tibetan Medicine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests