Mayan Calendar - the End of the World!!!

Just for fun
Dronma

Mayan Calendar - the End of the World!!!

Post by Dronma »

- I only had enough room to go up to 2012.
- Ha! That'll freak somebody out someday!!!
:applause:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
lowlydog

Re: Mayan Calendar - the End of the World!!!

Post by lowlydog »

Oh ya better watch out, ya better not cry, end of days are coming to town. :tongue:
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

lowlydog wrote:Oh ya better watch out, ya better not cry, end of days are coming to town. :tongue:

See you in hell !!!! :cheers:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If there would be a huge meteor hitting the planet, it could be like an instant collective nirvana.
"All together now!" :tongue:
plwk

Post by plwk »

rose
Site Admin

"Why the World Didn't End Yesterday"

Post by rose »

NASA confidently released this video early! :lol:

phpBB [video]
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Seriously now, it is amazing how an important percentage of contemporary, educated people are trapped in such inner primitiveness.
It is an interesting phenomenon which worths further research..... :geek:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Roland

Post by Roland »

phpBB [video]
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
justsit

Post by justsit »

Dronma

Post by Dronma »

phpBB [video]

Coming to your Planet soon!!!! :alien:
CrawfordHollow

End of the world?

Post by CrawfordHollow »

I guess I will be the one to start this thread

So I realized I was out of toothpaste. No, it was not the end of the world, but I did walk down to the store down the street to pick up some more. The dude at the store, who I have developed a friendship with, was totally freaked out about the world ending on Friday. I mean freaked out. He hadn't slept in days, and he called off work on Friday. He is truly convinced that the world is going to end. There wasn't much I could say to comfort him, but I promised that I would look into it and get back to him tomorrow (he didn't take the whole week off, just Friday). At this point, looking into it means asking you guys, soooo...

What does everybody think about this. I personally think that it has been completely sensationalized by the media, internet, and less-than intelligent fanatics. My friend, the dude at the store, does not agree with me. He thinks that the government knows that something is going to happen, and has put a gag on it to prevent total chaos.

Now, I really don't feel like wading through all the stuff out there on the internet, so if you guys can fill me in so I can have something smart to tell him, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Troy
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: End of the world?

Post by kirtu »

People are hysterical over different things, some justified (although not to the point of hysteria) and most not. Everyday the world ends for at least 50,000 people. The world is always ending.

The only thing we can do is give people some support or some help to ease their minds.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Most of this is based on ideas about the "end" of the Mayan calendar. What few Mayan elders are left say it is not the end of the world. It's really only the end of a "long" calendar period, which is billions of years long. They just thought they'd have awhile to calculate the next long calendar period.

Tell your shopkeeper friend that, or, just ask him "If it is the end of the world, what do you plan to do to stop it?" Perhaps once he realizes his worrying will change nothing, he will stop worrying.

He may be more worried that others will believe it and begin looting. In that case, there's not much to say.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Fear is the mind-killer.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

phpBB [video]
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

CrawfordHollow wrote:What does everybody think about this. I personally think that it has been completely sensationalized by the media, internet, and less-than intelligent fanatics. My friend, the dude at the store, does not agree with me. He thinks that the government knows that something is going to happen, and has put a gag on it to prevent total chaos.

Now, I really don't feel like wading through all the stuff out there on the internet, so if you guys can fill me in so I can have something smart to tell him, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Troy
Excellent motivation that you like to help this man! :smile:
I think that there are not certain answers or processes for resolving his existential anguish.
It depends on the person, on the relationship we have with him/her, and on the particular circumstances of time and space.
Kirt's suggestion is good, and I'll add in it: maybe if you could make him laugh a little bit with the situation.
Or make him think of all the positive aspects of the end of the world, like not having to worry anymore about anything, or not having to pay his debts, or get rid of his mother in law for ever, etc.
:mrgreen:
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Make no mistake about it. A gruesome, awful, unspeakable end is making its way from the ancient Yucatan to your very doorstep. As. You. Read. This.

phpBB [video]
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I was wondering, whose 21/12/2012 will it end on? Like, will people living in the Pacific Ocean die first and then Asia, etc... or will it just be based on Greenwich mean time? I mean it's pretty unfair on the Pacific dwellers coz everybody else will get up to 12 hours more living to do. Will like the world end sequentially based on time zones? Like every time 21/12 dawns that piece will end or will it end second by second?

These questions have been plaguing me for some time now and I'm wondering if anybody will be able to answer them before tommorow. I'm GMT+2 so any answers will have to take the time difference into account.

Thanks
:namaste:
Greg

PS Obviously I am not expecting answers from Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand, Tuvalu or Anadyr right now, unless, of course, they have daylight savings in effect.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

You can look at this problem in a generous way: time does't matter anymore. :meditate:
We're on the inside looking outside when the outside falls inside. Isn't it?

Return to “Games & Humour”