YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Obsessed with Dhamma - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Obsessed with Dhamma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ground

Re: Obsessed with Dhamma

Postby ground » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:01 am

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:44 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

ground

Postby ground » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 am

Postby christopher::: » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:58 am

All good points, for someone who has made a conscious choice to take the full path of renunciation. But in the case of a layperson who is married and/or lives with family, who has a livelihood with co-workers, i think it's actually unwise to not place a high priority on the brahma-viharas. This relates i think to the topic of "obsession" and the example given of a friend who returned from retreat and isolated himself, not communicating with his wife much. Just my view.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

ground

Postby ground » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 am

It even is unwise to not place a high priority on the brahma-viharas in seclusion.

Kind regards

Postby christopher::: » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 am

merin

Postby merin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am

yiming

Postby yiming » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Digity

Postby Digity » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:06 am

Postby christopher::: » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:19 am

Hi Digity. How about the and sila (ethical behavior) are you finding them easy or challenging to practice? Meditation is only one facet of Buddhist practice. Balance is essential. Being obsessed with study and meditation while living in the secular world with others can be experienced as a problem, complete practice of the Dhamma should not be, imo. It's the path to freedom.

yiming

Postby yiming » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 am

Digity said: "I get caught up in new things like everyone. For instance, I took up weightlifting once and became obsessed with it for 6 months, but eventually gave up on it.

However, I've been studying Buddhism for more than eight years. So, it's not something new in my life. However, it's only recently that I'm trying to practice on a daily basis. I don't think I was ready to meditate before. Now I feel like I'm in the right place mentally to do the meditation practice."

You feel that the Dhamma is working for you. You derive benefit from the Dhamma. But what benefit can the the Dhamma derive from you?

Put it this way in a stark sense so we get a clear picture of your situation: You derive benefit from a prostitute. But what benefit can the prostitute derive from you? You pay her money and the protstitute, through that payment, derive benefit from you. What about the Dhamma? Is it a one way street? You get all the benefit from the Dhamma and the Dhamma gets nothing from you?

Digity

Postby Digity » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:50 am

Postby christopher::: » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:05 am

ground

Postby ground » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 am

Digity

Postby Digity » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:35 am

Postby christopher::: » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:32 am

ground

Postby ground » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Postby christopher::: » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:18 am

It sounds like we view this very differently. On my end it may have to do with the situation I have here, constantly interacting with others. Seclusion is just not an easy option, so I gravitate especially toward Dhamma teachings that can be applied in the world with mostly nonBuddhists or non practicing Buddhists who I engage throughout the day. I don't view this as "solo" activity, but see it as an opportunity to break down beliefs about self/other, to experience the truth of anatta in that way. Such an approach seems highly conducive to the cultivation of certain Dhamma factors (such as compassion, metta and mudita) but is not as helpful for others (meditation, concentration). I'd probably benefit greatly from a bit more solo time and seclusion, more study and sitting. Finding/creating balance seems to be key. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

:anjali:

ground

Postby ground » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”