Back online and upgraded!

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
DNS
Site Admin

Back online and upgraded!

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Sorry about the down times lately. If you have seen our messages at Dhamma Wheel on facebook, then you already know what is going on. In case anyone hasn't seen that:

We got too big!! This is a good thing; for Dharma propagation, that is. We got so big that the shared server we were using was about to crash. The web hosting company shut us down, we were so big with too many hits per day. All of the TheDhamma.com websites are tallied together in terms of hits and Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum), Dharma Wheel, and Dhamma Wiki were receiving thousands of hits per day, overloading the shared server.

So we have upgraded to a Virtual Private Server (VPS) Gold package which means that all TheDhamma.com sites will be on their own dedicated virtual server; not shared with other sites. We should be able to handle somewhere near one million hits per day without a problem from now on. Previously I thought that there needed to be around one million posts or so here at Dharma Wheel and Dhamma Wheel before we needed an upgrade, but guess I was wrong and underestimated the amount of traffic we were receiving.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Back online and upgraded!

Post by Huseng »

Thanks David for all your efforts and the fact you pay for this out of your own pocket. :smile:
futerko

Post by futerko »

Huseng wrote:Thanks David for all your efforts and the fact you pay for this out of your own pocket. :smile:
I second that :anjali:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Oh the site was down... I haven't been banned after all. :tongue:

Great Job David, and everyone else.

Kevin :twothumbsup:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Well done David. :bow:
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Lobsang Jinpa

Post by Lobsang Jinpa »

Virgo wrote:Oh the site was down... I haven't been banned after all. :tongue:
That was my concern at first. I was left wondering what I had said that could have been so offensive to earn a ban.

I'm glad that wasn't the case, and glad that the forum is back up and running. :)
plwk

Post by plwk »

And for the post re-opening obligatory lolcat blessing...

mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Thank you, David.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

David N. Snyder wrote:... We got too big!! ...

Image For a minute there it felt like E-Sangha revisited. All joking aside David your time and effort are greatly appreciated.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I thought I'd been kicjked off, then i did a DNS search and saw that DW was hosted by GoDaddy, which had a massive shut down problem.

It was a great teaching on impermanence!

EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

The take away lesson for me from this, is that we who make actual posts need to remember that those who read the forum and don't post are the vast majority. Therefore, we should be ever mindful about what we write.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

response time is definitely faster -- the old server was experiencing a bit of a lag at times.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Rock on Dharma Wheel. Back in style. :woohoo:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
shel

Post by shel »

Yeah it's super fast now.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Something I mentioned over at Dhamma Wheel too:

Special thanks to our ordained Sangha members here, the moderating staff, AND all the lay people and other participants here. Any fool with a little money can start a website or forum, but it takes a great community to make it something this special. A website with no one visiting or participating is useless. It IS the community that we have here that has made this possible.

:group:

And yes, the new server is much bigger and better due to being a private server and therefore, faster. Otherwise you won't notice any changes in the format or structure, the web hosting issues are all just "behind the scenes" material that help make this work.
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Back and better than ever! And I was worrying that I'd broken it...
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

:namaste:
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Thank you David for getting things back in order :woohoo: and making it better than ever. :twothumbsup: :namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Zenshin 善心

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

thanks David.
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Thank you for the space, David. :bow:

Just as an FYI, this as well as dhammawheel.com still seem to "drop-out" of name space, periodically. You might wish to have the DNS name server configuration checked.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment

Return to “Announcements”