YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

wondering about the idea of maya - Dhamma Wheel

wondering about the idea of maya

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
treesandbirds

wondering about the idea of maya

Postby treesandbirds » Tue May 15, 2012 1:38 am

Hello there, I'm interested in Buddhist ideas but I'm not very familiar with them yet.. I guess I'm seeking reassurance, because for the past few months, after having a few panic attacks (and not really realising that that's what they were), I began to feel/ believe that the world is somehow not real. I know that derealization is a common symptom of panic attacks, but it's still a very disturbing and strong feeling and idea, and even after the panic is over, I continue to hold those thoughts. Part of the reason that I jumped to the conclusion that things are unreal is because of previously hearing about the idea of maya- how the world is somehow illusory or a 'dream'. I know now that my experiences of the 'unreality' of the world aren't accurate, since the experience feels like the world is unreal for me- I am seperated from it. But still, my thoughts worry me, and I'm confused - so could somebody please explain to me what the idea of maya is? I would appreciate it so much. And if anybody has advice about how I should understand reality more clearly, and about what kind of idea or picture better represents the world, I'd be really grateful for this as well. ( though I realise that concepts and ideas can't really convey truth at all)
:)

plwk

Re: wondering about the idea of maya

Postby plwk » Tue May 15, 2012 2:05 am

If these are of any help...

treesandbirds

Postby treesandbirds » Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 am

Thank you very much, those were quite helpful. I don't know if this is a silly question, but I'm going to ask it - 'ultimate reality' is within this world , right? or is it supposed to be outside/ seperate from it somehow?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 am

treesandbirds

Postby treesandbirds » Tue May 15, 2012 10:50 am

:smile:

Yana

Postby Yana » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 am

I don't think the world is an illusion.The world is real..it is consisted by ever changing phenomenons.What is not real is how we resume ownership of things.Of our body,of our feelings,of our thoughts,That is Real! That does happen!..but we do it based on the "illusion".

So i don't think it's the word that not real but the motivation behind why we attach to things. :anjali:
Life is preparing for Death

treesandbirds

Postby treesandbirds » Fri May 18, 2012 2:05 am

thank you :smile:

treesandbirds

Postby treesandbirds » Fri May 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Oh, and just one more question... I realise that this is a personal decision but maybe somebody could offer their advice-

I know that mindfulness and meditation would be very helpful for my anxiety and panic attacks- I've recently begun practising mindfulness and it has helped me understand these feelings and manage them somewhat. But I've been considering whether or not I should take medication for the anxiety, and then perhaps stopping when I am 'better' at being mindful.. At the moment, the panic attacks are very unsettling and it makes it hard for me to get things done. I'm quite hesitant about taking medication though, because I think these feelings are supposed to be faced and accepted- this is how we really become healed and whole right? So do you think it would be a bad idea for me to take medication in the meantime ? :?

Return to “Lounge”