YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Pali word of the day - Page 29 - Dhamma Wheel

Pali word of the day

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Pali word of the day

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:56 pm

1. subjective sensuality, 'sense-desire'

2. objective sensuality, the five sense-objects

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

'overcoming', abandoning

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Strings of sensuality. The objects of the five physical senses: visible objects, sounds, aromas, flavors, and tactile sensations. Usually refers to sense experiences that, like the strings (guna) of a lute when plucked, give rise to pleasurable feelings (vedana).

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:09 pm

'proficiency', namely, of mental properties kāya-pāguññatā and of consciousness citta-pāguññatā are 2 mental phenomena associated with all advantageous consciousness

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 pm

'sense-sphere'

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:26 pm

'elements of effort', are the following 5 qualities: faith, health, sincerity, energy, and understanding M. 85, 90; A. V. 53

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:17 pm

'adaptability', i.e. of materiality

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:02 pm

:

'effort.' The 4 right efforts samma-padhāna forming the 6th stage of The Noble Eightfold Middle Path i.e. sammā-vāyāma see: magga are: 1 the effort to avoid samvara-padhāna 2 to overcome pahāna-padhāna 3 to develop bhāvanā-padhāna 4 to maintain anurakkhana-padhāna i.e. 1 the effort to avoid disadvantageous akusala states, such as evil thoughts, etc. 2 to overcome disadvantageous states, 3 to develop advantageous kusala states, such as the 7 elements of enlightenment bojjhanga, 4 to maintain the advantageous states.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:09 pm

lit. 'working-ground' i.e. for meditation, is the term in the Com. for 'subjects of meditation.'

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 pm

'condition', is something on which something else, the so-called 'conditioned thing', is dependent, and without which the latter cannot be. Many are the ways in which one thing, or one occurrence, may be the condition for some other thing, or occurrence. In the Patthāna, the last book of the Abhidhamma Pitaka comprising 6 large vols. in the Siamese edition, these 24 modes of conditionality are enumerated and explained, and then applied to all conceivable mental and physical phenomena and occurrences, and thus their conditioned nature is demonstrated.

The first two volumes of the Patthāna have been translated into English by the Venerable U Nārada mūla patthāna Sayadaw of Burma, under the title Conditional Relations Published by the Pāli Text Society, London 1969, 1981.

The 24 modes of conditionality are:

1. Root condition: hetu paccaya
2. Object: ārammana
3. Predominance: adhipati
4. Proximity: anantara
5. Contiguity: samanantara
6. Co-nascence: sahajāta
7. Mutuality: aññamañña
8. Support: nissaya
9. Decisive Support: upanissaya
10. Pre-nascene: purejāta
11. Post-nascene: pacchājāta
12. Repitition: āsevana
13. Kamma: kamma
14. Kamma-result: vipāka
15. Nutriment: āhāra
16. Ability: indriya
17. Jhāna: jhanas
18. path: magga
19. Associaton: sampayutta
20. Dissociation: vippayutta
21. Presence: atthi
22. Absence: natthi
23. Disappearance: vigata
24. Non-disappearance: avigata

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm

'sense-clinging', is one of the 4 kinds of clinging

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm

lit. 'the going forth', or more fully stated, 'the going forth from home to the homeless life'

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 pm

'doubt', may be either an intellectual, critical doubt or an ethically and psychologically detrimental doubt. The latter may either be a persistent negative skepticism or wavering indecision. Only the detrimental doubt identical with vicikicchā is to be rejected as kammically disadvantageous, as it paralyses thinking and hinders the inner development of man. Reasoned, critical doubt in dubious matters is thereby not discouraged.

The 16 doubts enumerated in the Suttas e.g. M. 2 are the following: Have I been in the past? Or, have I not been in the past? What have I been in the past? How have I been in the past? From what state into what state did I change in the past? - Shall I be in the future? Or, shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? From what state into what state shall I change in the future? - Am I? Or, am I not? What am I? How am I? Whence has this being come? Whither will it go?

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:21 pm

'Fear of Wrongdoing'

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 pm

(Sanskrit kalpa) 'world-period', an inconceivably long space of time, an aeon. This again is subdivided into 4 sections: world-dissolution dissolving world, continuation of the chaos samvatta-tthāyī world-construction vivatta-kappa continuation of the formed world vivatta-tthāyī

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 pm

lit. 'accidental' from upapāta accident; not from upapatti as PTS Dict. has; 'spontaneously born', i.e. born without the instrumentality of parents. This applies to all divine and infernal beings.;After the disappearing of the 5 lower mental chains samyojana, he the Anāgāmi appears in a spiritual world opapātika...

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 pm

perhaps related to Sanskrit krtsna 'all, complete, whole', is the name for a purely external device to produce and develop concentration of mind and attain the 4 absorptions Jhanas. It consists in concentrating one's full and undivided attention on one visible object as preparatory image parikamma-nimitta e.g. a colored spot or disc, or a piece of earth, or a pond at some distance, etc., until at last one perceives, even with the eyes closed, a mental reflex, the acquired image uggaha-nimitta Now, while continuing to direct one's attention to this image, there may arise the spotless and immovable counter-image patibhāga-nimitta and together with it the neighbourhood-concentration upacāra-samādhi will have been reached. While still persevering in the concentration on the object, one finally will reach a state of mind where all sense-activity is suspended, where there is no more seeing and hearing, no more perception of bodily contact and feeling, i.e. the state of the 1st mental absorption.

The 10 kasinas mentioned in the Suttas are: earth-kasina, water, fire, wind, blue, yellow, red, white, space, and consciousness. There are 10 kasina-spheres: someone sees the earth kasina, above, below, on all sides, undivided, unbounded. someone see the water-kasina, above, below, etc. M. 77; D. 33 Cf. abhibhāyatan bhāvanā further s. Fund. IV.

For space and consciousness-kasina we find in Vis.M V the names limited space-kasina paricchinnākāsa-kasina.. see: App. and light-kasina āloka-kasina

For full description see Vis.M IV-V

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm

'inferiority-conceit'

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm

'moment'

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:05 pm

'conception', lit. 'descent', designates the appearance of the embryo in the mother's womb, i.e. the beginning of the birth process jāti.;Through the concurrence of 3 circumstances arises the embryo. When father and mother have united,... and the mother has her time, and the 'genius' metaphorically for the kamma energy is ready; under these 3 circumstances does the embryo appear; M. 38.

Return to “Pāli”