YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Greetings, Tim (South Africa) - Dhamma Wheel

Greetings, Tim (South Africa)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Refugee

Greetings, Tim (South Africa)

Postby Refugee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:48 am

Greetings,

This is my very first posting in this forum.

I came across Buddhism quite late in life. I'm 61 now and have been 'exposed' to the Buddha-dhamma for just 15 months. Before that, I was an agnostic for many years because I was unable to understand how there could be an all powerful, compassionate god on one hand and a mass of pain and suffering on the other. Personally, I just could not put these two things together. Please note, I say this with no disrespect to the beliefs of others. Buddhism cleared the way for coming back to a "religion", a "religion" I can place my confidence in. Buddhism has made me see that the germ of the arising of dukkha (suffering) and the cessation thereof both lie within "ourselves" or should I say the Five Aggregates; and that there is no external power that produces the arising and cessation of dukkha. If I'm asked why I chose Buddhism, this would perhaps be the first of many reasons.

My confidence in the Buddha-dhamma is such that I have been able to make progress in my practice despite there being no Theravada Sangha in the region where I live, not even any Theravada Buddhists to meet, and to talk to, in person. The credit and merit for my progress thus far must go to the dedicated people who bring us the Dhamma books and provide Buddhist websites on the internet. The kind friends on Buddhist forums are my "online Sangha" and they have helped me tremendously. I thank the owners, administrators, moderators and members for allowing me to join this forum.
:thanks:

With kind regards,
Tim
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Greetings, Tim (South Africa)

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 am

Greetings Tim,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, and I hope you find a good sense of community here.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:24 am

Welcome, Tim. :smile:
I think you'll find a group of like-minded people here - a mix of newcomers, experienced practitioners and ordained folk, but all doing our best to follow the same path.
:namaste:
Kim

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Tim
Many of us live in places where we are not physically proximate to a sangha. I hope for you, like many of us, Dhamma Wheel can be a place where you can seek some inspiration and the companionship of other like-minded people.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Welcome Refugee!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Refugee

Postby Refugee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi Retro, Kim, Ben and Bodom,

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

I have already read a few threads and feel confident that this forum will be beneficial to my practice.

:namaste:
Tim

Wind

Postby Wind » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 am

welcome Tim

I hope one day, Buddhism will blossom in South Africa.

Refugee

Postby Refugee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Return to “Introductions”