Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Lhasa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 am

Tashi Deleg.

We are happy to provide the following link http://garchenrinpoche.ca to a live webcast of our upcoming teachings with His Eminence, Garchen Rinpoche, held in Richmond BC, Canada. Please note - all times and dates are PST: Pacific Standard Time.

Webcast Schedule:

Thu & Fri, March 20-21, 2014

10:00 am – 12:00 pm 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm

Teaching on “Hitting the Essence in Three Words” by Garab Dorje



Saturday, March 22, 2014

10:00 am – 12:00 pm Four Dharmas of Gampopa

2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Sengdongma (Lion-faced Dakini) Empowerment

4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Taking Refuge Ceremony



Sunday, March 23, 2014

10:00 am – 12:00 pm Instructions on OM AH HUNG breathing practice

2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Medicine Buddha Empowerment

4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Guru Rinpoche Tsog

Please bookmark this site and check back when our teachings begin.

Thank you so much.

--
Yours in the Dharma,
Garchen Dharma Society, Lama Jangchub
Lhasa
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby VajraLion » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:03 am

Thx for posting Lhasa, received Amitahba initiation yesterday and transmission of Great Drikung Phowa today from HE Garchen Rinpoche. His qualities are innumerable. Just seeing him inspires faith.
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
User avatar
VajraLion
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Allyn, WA

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Lhasa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:20 am

It looks like he gives WONDERFUL hugs too. :buddha2: :hug: :buddha2:
Lhasa
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby VajraLion » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Definitely :D
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
User avatar
VajraLion
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Allyn, WA

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Shemmy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Great! Right on the heels of Garab Dorje's Anniversary, so that we can participate in both ChNNR's webcast and this one. Looking forward to it.

By the way, the link posted is to a poster announcing the event not anything that looks like it would host a webcast. I don't know if that's a mistake 'r what..
User avatar
Shemmy
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm
Location: Kalasindhu, Thailand

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Shemmy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:10 pm

Does anyone know? Where on the web can we catch these teachings?
User avatar
Shemmy
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm
Location: Kalasindhu, Thailand


Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Soap-Bubble » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Thank you, but these are for the current webcast in Seattle. I think Shemmy was interested in watching the webcast mentioned in this thread specifically. I am very interested in it, too.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
User avatar
Soap-Bubble
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Shemmy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Looks to me its more than likely, Soap-Bubble, these links are good for the 20-23rd teachings as well.

I'm also wondering if Lama Garchen is still doing a glasnost on the necessity for live empowerments and if the recordings of the current teachings on Shitro are good enough for empowerment as they were for Vajrakilaya last December and the series of 13 empowerments last spring.
User avatar
Shemmy
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm
Location: Kalasindhu, Thailand

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Lhasa » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:02 pm

"Please bookmark this site and check back when our teachings begin."

From my original post, I take this to mean that the live link will be on that page when the teachings are to begin. Hope so.
Lhasa
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Soap-Bubble » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm

I confess that I don't understand the way Garchen Rinpoche presents his teachings.

For example, the empowerment of Shitro seemingly has no practice attached to it. At least it was not explained on screen. If the point would be to recognize the nature of poisons and realize ultimate bodhichitta, there'd be no need in multiple empowerments, just get any single one with its explanations and samayas. So surely there must be a practice attached to it? Besides, you can't benefit people who passed away without doing anything, and shitro is normally a practice in this regard, too. Which makes me think that there are either explanations given somewhere else or secret (?) books (as I failed to find any books by Garchen Rinpoche on shitro).

The same could be said about White Tara Empowerment, it wasn't clear whether what Garchen Rinpoche said was all there was to it. Or maybe there was a separate practice rather than only a single mantra, some sadhana. I thought that if he didn't mention anything, then it surely meant that there was nothing else to it, but after today's shitro I am not so sure any longer.

Is anybody aware what the actual case is?
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
User avatar
Soap-Bubble
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby bryandavis » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:55 pm

There are three sessions of bardo teachings coming up. Gar Rinpoche might explain more during that time. Also since the shitro we just received is revealed from the Yang Dzab cycle I am sure there are practices connected with it available.

As far as White Tara, you can of course now order the sadhana off of the GBI website and practice that. There is a whole series of videos on you tube of Rinpoche going over the WT practice. Just do a search and they will pop up.

I am also interested to learn more about what if any practices are available connected with the shitro cycle.

all the best,

bryan.
User avatar
bryandavis
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Lhasa » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:14 pm

[url]questions@garchen.net[/url]
Garchen Rinpoche answers every email. So you can write to him directly, or ask the Garchen Institute your questions and they will do their best to find out for you.
I have noticed that sometimes Garchen Rinpoche will give an empowerment one day, and a one day retreat on that deity the next day and that retreat day is for practice. The next visit to L.A. is like that, later this month. The White Tara empowerment in L.A. several weeks ago also had a retreat/practice day.
It seems to me, some of the empowerments are for stabilizing and ripening the mind and not to learn a practice...It could be too, that the Lamas in these centers teach the practice after the empowement is given, when Rinpoche isn't there.
Also, some of the texts are copyrighted by translators and can be used on site but not distributed on the internet. The live-streaming is new and different for each center, so bugs are still being worked out.
Lhasa
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Soap-Bubble » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 am

bryandavis wrote:As far as White Tara, you can of course now order the sadhana off of the GBI website and practice that. There is a whole series of videos on you tube of Rinpoche going over the WT practice. Just do a search and they will pop up.

Empowerment of deity alone doesn't give the right to practice a sadhana, a lung is needed for it. Mantras and other things like that, which are part of sadhana, need to be empowered, too, otherwise they're ineffective. At least that's what I learnt from other teachers.

bryandavis wrote:Also since the shitro we just received is revealed from the Yang Dzab cycle I am sure there are practices connected with it available.

Even if there are indeed some available books that contain Yang Zab teachings, as well as shitro, we couldn't practice them without a lung. So then why weren't we given one? It's not that I'm so persistent because I so badly need it, and in truth I already have shitro, but giving empowerments without lungs or even references to any practices makes Garchen Rinpoche's way of teaching very puzzling to me.

I will try to clarify my confusion by asking for answers via email, like Lhasa suggests.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
User avatar
Soap-Bubble
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby bryandavis » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Soap-bubble,

As far as Shitro empowerment I didnt say we can practice anything with out receiving further transmission. I just said Im sure there are teaching available within the YangZab cycle.

My experience with Gar Rinpoche is that on many practices like White Tara, or other commonly propagated common yidams, he gives the empowerment and that gives us permission to practice what is available through GBI. A common saying from Rinpoche is "Bodhicitta is the actually lung"

I also sent an email so we shall see.

I am also hold that having the lung is important with one exception, if the Guru himself through his blessings makes other exceptions. I mainly follow Gar Rinpoche and he is relaxed in many way in his methods.

Anyhow, we are fortunate to be able to connect to a Great master like him :thumbsup:

all the best,
Bryan
User avatar
bryandavis
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby bryandavis » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 pm

In case anyone else is reading with the question about the white Tara empowerment here is the response I got from gbi:


Hi Bryan,

Garchen Rinpoche says that anyone with Bodhicitta can practice White Tara and there is no need to receive the lung.
User avatar
bryandavis
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby JohnJ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:57 pm

Soap-Bubble wrote:
bryandavis wrote:As far as White Tara, you can of course now order the sadhana off of the GBI website and practice that. There is a whole series of videos on you tube of Rinpoche going over the WT practice. Just do a search and they will pop up.

Empowerment of deity alone doesn't give the right to practice a sadhana, a lung is needed for it. Mantras and other things like that, which are part of sadhana, need to be empowered, too, otherwise they're ineffective. At least that's what I learnt from other teachers.

bryandavis wrote:Also since the shitro we just received is revealed from the Yang Dzab cycle I am sure there are practices connected with it available.

Even if there are indeed some available books that contain Yang Zab teachings, as well as shitro, we couldn't practice them without a lung. So then why weren't we given one? It's not that I'm so persistent because I so badly need it, and in truth I already have shitro, but giving empowerments without lungs or even references to any practices makes Garchen Rinpoche's way of teaching very puzzling to me.

I will try to clarify my confusion by asking for answers via email, like Lhasa suggests.


I have attended many teachings with Garchen Rinpoche, and I can confirm that he has said many times in public and personal context that the empowerment from him is sufficient if one gives rise to Bodhicitta. Since there is no established orthodoxy that confirms a set guideline for student-teacher relationships, and since the teacher is the source of all of the lineage teachings received (rather than a canon of common praxis), than it is imperative that one trust the teacher from whom one received the teachings. I have had many teachers, but Garchen Rinpoche is my root lama, and his word takes precedent over my own neurosis and opinions, and even the word of other teachers when it comes to the practices I have received from him.

As to the teachings I have received from other lamas, if their instruction has been to receive the lung, I have either waited to receive it, or not received and therefore not practiced. I chose to receive teachings from them after all, and if would be unfair to generalize instructions despite their wishes.

In this way, there should be no confusion. It is not productive to cite imperatives from other teachers in contrast to the teachings you have received from Garchen Rinpoche. Firstly, giving rise to doubt and confusion regarding his teachings belies the faith necessary to receive the empowerment in the first place. Secondly, to cite commandments that present themselves as above and preeminent to personal instruction and relationship is sowing discord among fellow Vajra brethren, which really should be abandoned.

But these words come from my own devotion to my Vajra master, so please regard them lightly and seek clarification from Garchen Rinpoche.
JohnJ
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 am

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Pero » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:01 pm

JohnJ wrote:I have attended many teachings with Garchen Rinpoche, and I can confirm that he has said many times in public and personal context that the empowerment from him is sufficient if one gives rise to Bodhicitta. Since there is no established orthodoxy that confirms a set guideline for student-teacher relationships, and since the teacher is the source of all of the lineage teachings received (rather than a canon of common praxis), than it is imperative that one trust the teacher from whom one received the teachings. I have had many teachers, but Garchen Rinpoche is my root lama, and his word takes precedent over my own neurosis and opinions, and even the word of other teachers when it comes to the practices I have received from him.

As to the teachings I have received from other lamas, if their instruction has been to receive the lung, I have either waited to receive it, or not received and therefore not practiced. I chose to receive teachings from them after all, and if would be unfair to generalize instructions despite their wishes.

In this way, there should be no confusion. It is not productive to cite imperatives from other teachers in contrast to the teachings you have received from Garchen Rinpoche..

:thumbsup:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby VajraLion » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 pm

:twothumbsup: x2
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
User avatar
VajraLion
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Allyn, WA

Re: Garchen Rinpoche webcast March 20-23 BC,Canada

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Soap-Bubble wrote:I confess that I don't understand the way Garchen Rinpoche presents his teachings.

For example, the empowerment of Shitro seemingly has no practice attached to it.
Receiving empowerment is a practice in of itself.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9270
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Next

Return to North America/Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

>