What languages do you know/study

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
lotwell

Post by lotwell »

What languages do you know/study?

I took 1 semester of classical Tibetan and have recently picked it up again. I've started studying Chinese (Mandarin). I also speak Czech and some Spanish.

Lotwell
ronnewmexico

Re: What languages do you know/study

Post by ronnewmexico »

I claim to know one language...english...

Much to my consternation, many dispute that claim :crying: It is so sad.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

I also "claim" to know English :lol:

But am starting to study Mandarin as well.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

German, English and I just started learning Classical Tibetan in earnest.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
rory

Post by rory »

English, French, Italian, Russian (bit rusty though), working on Latin & after 1 year of Japanese, picking that up again & maybe Mandarin. If I'd stuck to Japanese I'd be fluent now, arg. Keep at it.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Pero

Post by Pero »

Slovenian, English, Serbo-Croatian. Slowly (very) studying Classical Tibetan.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

English, German, little French, Dutch, studied Literary Tibetan for a couple years in Uni as well as Hindi and a semester of Sanskrit and even a semester of Tamil (beautiful script, so much more flowing than devanagari). I also learned to read U-mad script. That was cool. Couldn't do that anymore though. It is amazing how fast we lose our abilities when we don't use them. Of course, we can also get them back pretty fast. I can still read Devanagari script though I won't know what it says. With a dictionary, I can translate a little Tibetan. My colloquial Tibetan sucked as I have trouble learning by ear. Visual learning is much easier to me.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

My native language is English, but I speak very poor Mandarin fluently.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

I had a dab of classical Tibetan, and spoken Tibetan. Mostly European languages: Russian, Spanish, French, Norwegian, Serbo-Croatian, German (rusty on the last 3). Mandarin, but I always forget the script soon after I learn it. I'm not visual, I'm aural, and learn through my ears. Mandarin's good with Tibetan, though. I notice a lot of Chinese words and phrases in Tibetan. The Tibetan grammar, though, comes from the Altaic languages, so some background in Turkic or Mongol can be helpful there. The Sinitic/Altaic split in Tibetan language is fascinating, similar to the Nomad (Altaic) and sedentary (Sinitic) divide in the people themselves.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

I know English and Chinese. With Chinese I can speak Mandarin and Cantonese, with the latter my native dialect.

My readings in Buddhism are almost exclusively Chinese, so I may struggle with writing Buddhist terminology in English.

Even being able to read and write in modern Chinese, I have not had formal education in classical Chinese. Therefore reading certain sutra in Chinese, particularly those written in really old Chinese, may not be always be straightforward for me. However, they are still easier than reading classical texts in Confucianism, Taoism and the I-Ching.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

Fluent in Russian, Spanish, Romanian. A bit rusty, but able to do research in French, German, Serbo-Croatian. Conversant in Norwegian. I studied 3 years of Mandarin, and am considering reviving that, in part to be able to read Buddhist texts in Chinese. I've also taught elementary university courses in Navajo. Studied spoken and literary Tibetan for a semester, but that was long ago. Am considering buying a Tibetan textbook w/CD package (available from Snow Lion) to get back into Tibetan.
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Mother language is English
I was quite good at Turkish
Some French
Bits and bobs in various other.

Graham
Finnjames

Post by Finnjames »

English is my mother tongue.
We speak Finnish at home.
Better at understanding than speaking German and French.
Fair knowledge of Papua New Guinea Tokpisin.

As for "Buddhist languages":
a year of Chinese at university almost did me in.
learning Pali is a perpetual summer project. Someday I hope to make it past lesson 3.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

English is my first language. I speak some Filipino, not fluent yet. I understand a little Illocano but would really like to learn Japanese at some point.

Gassho,
Seishin.
ocean_waves

Post by ocean_waves »

English is my mother language. I am currently learning to speak Hangug-ui [Korean].
"True seeing is called transcendence;
False seeing is worldliness:
Set aside both right and wrong,
And the nature of enlightenment is clear."

Return to “Language”