 error ?

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

 error ?

Postby kirtu » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

The Tibetan and Himalayan Library translation tool throws an error when I try to use this letter: . This is from Sonam Rinchen and Ruth Sonam's Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment, the first line from the first stanza:

དུས་གསུམ་ལ་བ་ཐམས་ཅད་དག་དང་དེའི་ཆོས་དང*

The error message is: "[#ERROR 116: Found an illegal character, '', with ordinal (in decimal) 62330.]"

Is this a real error? Am I inadvertently using the wrong character? Or could there be a problem with the Tibetan Machine Uni font?

How would I transliterate this into Wylie? rGyu?

Thanks!

Kirt

*As it turns out the letter gets translated to རྒྱ in the Tibetan and Himalayan Library translation tool but it won't do this translation for the from the Tibetan Machine Uni font automatically. Once this is done the line comes out: དུས་གསུམ་རྒྱལ་བ་ཐམས་ཅད་དག་དང་དེའི་ཆོས་དང and is then workable. The translation is done automatically if I use the Jomolhari font under OpenOffice - in OpenOffice the letter is and under Opera expecting Tibetan Machine Uni it is translated to རྒྱ automatically. Taking a look at this message under FireFox 3.5.9 shows no difference between the two letters but under Opera 10.6 there is a definite difference.

letter-trans1.jpeg
letter-trans1.jpeg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Language