འ in འཁོར་བ ?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
kirtu
Former staff member

འ in འཁོར་བ ?

Postby kirtu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:05 pm

འ is a short a sound as in father?

But in འཁོར་བ this is pronounced kor-wa isn't it? So the འ is silent here but looking through the dictionary it doesn't seem to be the case usually that an initial འ is silent. Is there a rule for this?

Thanks!

Sorry about the flood of questions but my books are all in storage or I had to give them away and Tibetan language books don't come in Kindle versions yet. And after years of playing around I have finally started learning Buddhist Tibetan.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

conebeckham

Re: འ in འཁོར་བ ?

Postby conebeckham » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Ah-Chung in the prefix position (Ngonjuk) is silent. Though it may "nasalize" the ending of a preceding syllable, at times, and depending on dialect.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."

May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.

Return to “Language”