Parting from the Four Attachments in Tibetan?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Malcolm

Re: Parting from the Four Attachments in Tibetan?

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Does
tib_o.jpeg
always result in ö then or are there exceptions?

Kirt
Depends on suffix. O in འཁོར་sounds like "core"; o in ཡོངས་sounds more like so; འོད་ or བོད་sounds more like ö.
Last edited by Malcolm on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tantular

Post by tantular »

kirtu wrote:Are there any indications of phrase beginnings and endings or is this a matter of inducing a phrase maybe from embedded verbs or particles? Tibetan clearly doesn't use comma function symbols.
As I said, it's usually verbs + particles, plus a few idiomatic expressions (two common ones occur in our example: verb + པའི་ཚེ། = "at the time of verb/when verb", and ཞལ་ནས ... ཞེས་གསུངས་པ to mark the beginning and end of a quote).
But I have to study grammar some to even figure out what I'm reading (and of course this is a very advanced text). I am beginning to work on sight reading. After prayers what texts should I work on? I was looking at Sonam and Ruth Rinchen's version of Atisha's Lamp for the Path last night and it has the Tibetan as well and thought that might be something to work through.
Of course you need a foundation in grammar. It's important to memorize the forms and basic functions of the 15 sets of particles covered in the Sumchupa. Compared to most languages this is practically nothing: you can easily fit a cheat sheet on 2 A4s. After that, you're ready to start reading. Lamp for the Path is an important text, not too difficult, and a nice length for a beginner, but I wouldn't recommend starting with something entirely in verse. Tibetan verse is basically truncated prose (particles get dropped, words are shortened to fit the meter), & when you're trying to learn how particles work it's good to have a text that leaves them all in. I usually suggest the Jewel Ornament: simple yet elegant prose, all the basic dharma vocab, & still plenty of verse to get used to.
Are there verb lists? I thought Preston had a book or paper on this (or perhaps he had done some computational linguistics work related to verbs)?
Sorry don't know. The vocabulary in the early lessons of whatever textbook you're using should be enough to get going. Once you start reading, make your own lists. You'll quickly get a sense of which verbs are most common.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

tantular wrote: Of course you need a foundation in grammar. It's important to memorize the forms and basic functions of the 15 sets of particles covered in the Sumchupa.
Is there a translation of the Sumchupa somewhere?

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

Padma Karpo Translation Committee provide a translation and translations of commentaries within Tony Duffs 800 page volume built on the sum chu pa.

You can get this as an e book/pdf http://www.tibet.dk/pktc/grammar.htm#St ... irtyVerses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Within this is a translation and commentary of two commentaries on the Sum chu pa by Yangchen Drubpey Dorje. These follw Situ Panchen's tradition. You can get these separately.

:namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

MrDistracted wrote:Padma Karpo Translation Committee provide a translation and translations of commentaries within Tony Duffs 800 page volume built on the sum chu pa.

You can get this as an e book/pdf http://www.tibet.dk/pktc/grammar.htm#St ... irtyVerses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Within this is a translation and commentary of two commentaries on the Sum chu pa by Yangchen Drubpey Dorje. These follw Situ Panchen's tradition. You can get these separately.
Thanks very much! I am working my way through the two commentaries by Yangchen Drubpey Dorje now.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Kent Sandviks excellent example working through Parting from the Four Attachments.

I find the explanation of la as a pointer to be very helpful.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Language”