Tara / Drolma and stupa / chorten

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
WJ77

Tara / Drolma and stupa / chorten

Post by WJ77 »

Two questions – perhaps pointless rhetorical questions.

Why is “Tara” often used as a translation of “Drolma”. I know they are the same – so then why not just use “Drolma”? Tara is of course a common girl’s name in the West, but perhaps most Westerners do not know Tara’s place in Hinduism, and so translating to “Tara” within Buddhism does not really add much meaning for Westerners ?

Similarly, chorten is often written as “chorten (stupa)” in English texts, as if the majority of readers know what a stupa is. Or stupa is simply the preferred spelling in many cases when relating to chorten in Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism.

:juggling:
Vasana

Re: Tara / Drolma and stupa / chorten

Post by Vasana »

It's the other way around. Drolma is used as a translation of the sanskrit Tārā.

Call her whichever of the two you personally prefer. I don't think westerners really have a problem with either her sanskrit or Tibetan name.

Considering her mantra is sanskrit and that 'Tare' is said to be a vocative form of Tārā, i personally prefer to call her Tārā.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
WJ77

Re: Tara / Drolma and stupa / chorten

Post by WJ77 »

Hi Vasana, yes, I understand your point. Drolma is the Tibetan translation of Tara, yes. And it makes sense in relation to the short Tara / Drolma mantra; however, the “21 Tara Prayer” refers to Drolma (since it is in Tibetan, whereas the short mantra is not). I notice that Tibetans refer to her as Drolma when speaking in Tibetan and Tara when speaking in English to English speakers – as if ‘translating’. And some publications, too. It doesn’t really make any difference. There were people named Tara in my school – but nothing to do with religion. Just thinking aloud.
Have a nice day! :smile:

Return to “Language”