Colloquial Chinese- starting from the beginning

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

Colloquial Chinese- starting from the beginning

Postby JKhedrup » Sun May 18, 2014 11:36 am

Dear friends,

On the instruction of one of my teachers I have decided, for the third time this lifetime, to try and begin the study of the colloquial Chinese language. While in the past I struggled, now with Tibetan under my belt I know that it is probably not impossible to achieve some measure of success. But I know that studies show after 35 learning a new language becomes difficult, so I am eager to start half way through my 33rd year.

I will have to balance this with the Dutch language learning I am doing here but feel this is possible. I enjoy studying languages and Chinese especially would open more doors for me. I was considering learning sanskrit but several of my teachers indicated Chinese would be far more useful because not only does it allow one access to more Buddhist resources, but also helps one connect better with the Chinese community and facilitate teachings there.

If anyone has Chinese language learning materials that they aren't using, especially anything interactive like DVDs and so forth, I would be very willing to pay you to take them off your hands, as well as cover postage. I am hoping for help here because I cannot afford to buy the materials new- it is quite an expensive proposition. Any assistance would be much appreciated and if people don't want to respond here they can PM me.

In dharma,
Khedrup
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Re: Colloquial Chinese- starting from the beginning

Postby Dodatsu » Sun May 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi Khedrup,
You may want to look into these online resources from the National Taiwan Normal University.
http://online.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/index.php?utility=eLearning&language=en
Gassho
Contemplating the power of Tathagata's Primal Vow,
One sees that no foolish being who encounters it passes by in vain.
When a person single-heartedly practices the saying of the Name alone,
It brings quickly to fullness and perfection [in that person] the great treasure ocean of true and real virtues.
- Shinran Shonin
Dodatsu

Re: Colloquial Chinese- starting from the beginning

Postby Soar » Sun May 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Lots of courses here for learning vocabulary and short sentences:
http://www.memrise.com/course/541/hsk-level-1-introductory-mandarin-with-audio/
“If you propose to speak always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind?”
― Siddhārtha Gautama

taichihastings.com
Soar

Return to Language