Namo Buddha Program & Funding Resources

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

Namo Buddha Program & Funding Resources

Postby Karma Jinpa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:39 am

I recently applied and was accepted to the Namo Buddha Tibetan Language Program for Summer 2014:
http://www.namobuddha.org/learntibetan/index.html

The details of the program, as stated in a late November email, are as follows:
The dates have been set for the Namo Buddha Tibetan Language Program. This year a nine-week Beginner’s Tibetan Program from June 13 to August 15, 2014 is planned to be held at the beautiful and sacred location of Thrangu Tashi Yangtse Monastery in Namo Buddha, Nepal, http://www.namobuddha.com.

The classes will be taught by Lotsawa David Karma Choephel and a team of monks and nuns from Thrangu Monastery trained in the latest techniques for teaching Tibetan as a second language. Enrollment is limited to no more than 10 participants in this first class, allowing for individualized instruction and conversation practice.

The cost of the course is US $1520, which includes tuition and room and board in single accommodations.

If you are interested in applying or have further questions, please contact us at namobuddhatibetan@gmail.com.

Now I just have to come up with the funds to be able to attend... no small feat for a single father going back to college.

Aside from the Khyentse Foundation and Rigpa (which I'm already sending applications to), does anyone know of other resources for grants, scholarships, or even individual sponsors for someone aspiring to become a Tibetan translator?

So as to cast the net a little wider, perhaps such resources need not be specific to Buddhism or Tibetan, but simply geared towards helping fund foreign language studies and acquisition. Do you know of any?

PLEASE HELP!!! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Re: Namo Buddha Program & Funding Resources

Postby Jikan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Well, since you're interested in learning Tibetan for purposes of practice and study, this approach is available to you:

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13726

give it a try?
Jikan
Site Admin

Re: Namo Buddha Program & Funding Resources

Postby Karma Jinpa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:42 am

Thank you, Jikan. I was unaware of this, and greatly appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

:twothumbsup:
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Return to Language