Ali Kali / Vowels and Consonants

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Ali Kali / Vowels and Consonants

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Does anybody have a link to somebody actually pronouncing these correctly? It would be a hugely helpful foundational practice for anybody who's a nursery room learner of Tibetan like me.

ALSO in Sanskrit. That would be really cool!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Ali Laki / Vowels and Consonants

Post by Grigoris »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Does anybody have a link to somebody actually pronouncing these correctly? It would be a hugely helpful foundational practice for anybody who's a nursery room learner of Tibetan like me.

Tibetan? The mantra is just the Sanskrit alphabet (as Tibetans see it). You should just pronounce it like it was transmitted to you.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

That should be "Ali Kali", btw.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

RGGh I just noticed that. It's too late now...*prays to the moderators*
Aemilius

Re: Ali Kali / Vowels and Consonants

Post by Aemilius »

There are several sanskrit tutorials in the internet, they have sound files that contain the sanskrit or devanagari alphabet. Here is one of them http://www.acharya.gen.in:8080/sanskrit/lessons.php
It is interesting to compare the different pronunciations of sanskrit alphabet.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Does anybody have a link to somebody actually pronouncing these correctly? It would be a hugely helpful foundational practice for anybody who's a nursery room learner of Tibetan like me.

Of course they are Sanskrit. However when HH Penor Rinpoche gave the transmission for this he made it clear that in his opinion Westerners had difficulty with the pronunciation. This part of (mostly Nyingma) Tibetan Buddhism stems from the view that Sanskrit itself is a blessed language. Even HH Sakya Trizen has spoken about this aspect of Tibetan Buddhism and the Ali-Kali are not recited in Sakya.

But the transliterations one sees in texts are close enough. Afterall, HH Penor Rinpoche pronounced them like a Tibetan and I don't think he followed Sanskrit pronunciation (in fact this may even be in my notes - I'll check when I can).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aemilius wrote:There are several sanskrit tutorials in the internet, they have sound files that contain the sanskrit or devanagari alphabet. Here is one of them http://www.acharya.gen.in:8080/sanskrit/lessons.php
It is interesting to compare the different pronunciations of sanskrit alphabet.
I can't access this site, eset doesn't like it at all!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

That is strange, I can get it easily. It is an indian site. A time-honored method is first to try other indian sites, when Your computer has got used to being in India, try again the Acharya Sanskrit address.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
GyalwaGyatso

Post by GyalwaGyatso »

Can you explain why the Kali mantra has an extra column of consonants? There are 4 columns in the trad'l Sanskrit alphabet but Kali mantra has five. Thanks!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

GyalwaGyatso wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:26 pm Can you explain why the Kali mantra has an extra column of consonants? There are 4 columns in the trad'l Sanskrit alphabet but Kali mantra has five. Thanks!
There are five consonantal rows....and five columns.
the rows are: guttaral, palatal, cerebral, dental, labial.
The fifth column are nasal or semi-nasal....Nga, Nya, Na (cerebral nasal), and Na (Dental nasal), and Ma.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Since Sanskrit started to replace the various Prakrits in the transmission of Mahayana, there has been an ongoing debate about how important the "proper" pronunciation of Sanskrit letters and mantras is. Sanskrit is a very precise and well-ordered language, but the idea that there is some metaphysical special quality to it come from Brahmanical influence. Chandrakirti believed that the efficacy of mantras resided in the realization of those who used them rather than in the language itself. There is an article by Eltschinger on academia. edu that deals with this question. IMO it is more important to actualize the visualizations that accompany Ali Kali recitation than to sweat the pronunciation.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Actually, we do the mantra in order to purify errors that we have made, in the pronunciation of the sadhana and mantra. That is why it is normally recited along with OM YE DHARMA... To purify errors in view that we have made during our practice. And it is normally recited along with the 100 syllable mantra too, to purify karmic errors made during practice.

Natan

Post by Natan »

Nilasarasvati wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:15 pm Does anybody have a link to somebody actually pronouncing these correctly? It would be a hugely helpful foundational practice for anybody who's a nursery room learner of Tibetan like me.

You should be able to find audio of that on YouTube.

Return to “Language”