Homemade mandala offering anyone?

Homemade mandala offering anyone?

Postby Kaung » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:59 am

Hi guys!l
Have any of you ever made a mandala offering at home?They are not THAT expensive but relating to my experience with online shopping it becomes a crazy amount of money after shipping charges is added :rolleye: and I'm :broke: for that amount I don't have any shop where I can get it at my place So any help?
Kaung

Re: Homemade mandala offering anyone?

Postby KonchokZoepa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm

you can do mandala offerings with the short mandala offering prayer and use the mandala offering hand mudra.

SA ZHI PO CHU JUG SHING ME TOG TRAM/
The ground is sprinkled with scented water and strewn with flowers.
RI RAB LING ZHI NYI DE GYEN PA DI/
It is adorned with Meru, the supreme mountain, the four continents, and the sun and the moon.
SANG GYE ZHING LA MIG TE PUL WA YI/
As a Buddhafield, I offer it
DRO KUN NAM DAG ZHING DU KYE WAR SHOG/
May all sentient beings attain the happiness of the Buddhafields.

KU SUM YONG DZOG LA MAI TSOG NAM LA/

CHI NANG SANG SUM DE ZHIN NYI KYI CHO/

DAG LU LONG CHO NANG SI YON ZHE LA/

LA ME CHOG GI NGO DRUB TSAL DU SOL/

OM GURU DEWA DAKINI RATNA MANDALA PRATITSA SO HA

To the Lamas who possess the three kayas,
I offer the outer, inner and secret offerings
With my body, wealth and all that is visible.
Please grant me the supreme realization – Englightenment.

OM GURU DEWA DAKINI RATNA MANDALA PRATITSA SO HA

also if you want to do the long offering as done in ngondro, you really need to have teachers instructions and lung for the practice, otherwise there is no use, you don't know what you are doing and how to do it and thus be of no use.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Kaung wrote:Hi guys!l
Have any of you ever made a mandala offering at home?They are not THAT expensive but relating to my experience with online shopping it becomes a crazy amount of money after shipping charges is added :rolleye: and I'm :broke: for that amount I don't have any shop where I can get it at my place So any help?
You can use any decent flat surfaced receptacle, just make sure that it is reserved for the specific activity alone. Just to go to one of those "everything for $1" shops and pick up something you like the look of. It helps if it has a rim coz that way it is easier to hold (ie it won't require balancing skills to stop it slipping off your hand all the time).
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby supermaxv » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Are you referring to performing a Mandala offering as part of Ngondro? My teachers had guidelines for me in regards to proper materials / accouterment to do so.
supermaxv

Postby Kaung » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:22 am

supermaxv wrote:Are you referring to performing a Mandala offering as part of Ngondro? My teachers had guidelines for me in regards to proper materials / accouterment to do so.

Yes! Do mention them if that's not something to be kept secret :tantrum:
Kaung

Postby ReasonAndRhyme » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm

If I remember correctly the general advice is to use the best of what's available to you. If all you can afford is a circular wooden plate than that's what you use. As long as it's really the best one can do (and not just the cheapest solution out of miserliness) I was told that everything is fine as long as it fulfills its purpose.

Btw these expensive mandala sets often have a convex surface from which the rice sprincles away in all directions - which is the one thing you should absolutely avoid.
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge
ReasonAndRhyme

Postby KonchokZoepa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:33 pm

having the equipment to do the long mandala offering as done in ngondro is one thing.

the other thing is that you need a teacher to teach you the practice. i know from my ngondro text and meeting and talking about the practice with one of my lamas and the sangha, it is clear that you need someone to teach you the practice. to explain the 37 or what different points of the mandala, their meaning etc and also background and explanation of the practice in general.

it does not do any good, neither is it a meritorious practice if you just throw rice on a plate and pretend to offer a mandala because you have the right equipment. you actually have to know what you are doing.

thats why kaung, i wrote the mandala offering mudra and the short mandala offering practice which you can do always before starting meditation. its a complete practice and has the full benefit of offering a mandala. your motivation is what counts, not the plate and the rice.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby conebeckham » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:09 pm

When you're doing the Mandala Offering as a main practice, accumulating reps, in ngondro, or elsewhere, there are two main points that we can talk about. The details should indeed be learned from an appropriate teacher.

First, one should use the best "offerings" and substances one can afford. So, you should evaluate your attitude regarding spending money on Mandala pans, etc., and shipping costs......I mean, if you really cannot afford the mail-order stuff, that is one thing...I am not making any judgement, mind you--just pointing out the need to examine one's mind when considering spending money on Dharma items, especially in regard to this particular practice.

Second, cleanliness is very important. One's offerings, and one's environment (shrine room or place of practice) should be kept clean. Again, this is a general recommendation, of course, but it's particularly important when one engages in Mandala Offerings as a main practice.

Mandala offering is a wonderful, and powerful, practice.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby supermaxv » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Kaung wrote:
supermaxv wrote:Are you referring to performing a Mandala offering as part of Ngondro? My teachers had guidelines for me in regards to proper materials / accouterment to do so.

Yes! Do mention them if that's not something to be kept secret :tantrum:

This isn't a secrecy issue. As others have eloquently pointed out, you need a teacher to advise you through all aspects of this practice.
supermaxv

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Kaung has pointed out that they live in Burma, it's going to be near impossible for him to find a Vajrayana teacher there, especially when you consider that their economic situation makes it difficult for them to buy an "official" mandala set. Motivation for doing the practice is the key. Physical supports are secondary. If Kaung can make an offering with full dedication to the enlightened ones then that is all that is necessary. The enlightened ones do not discriminate between pure and impure offerings, rich or poor offerings... One just does ones best.

I recommend you do a web search and track down commentaries and advice for offering the mandala (you can try start here for example) and start to do the practice. As you gather merit, via the practice, other avenues of practice and learning will "magically" appear. 100% guaranteed!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Return to Help Required