What does Buddhism say about success?

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby odysseus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:
Hm, if there´s only looking and looking, there´s no left... It´s success! :)


When there is looking, there is looking, not success.


Mara made you say something on it, it´s success... :namaste:
odysseus
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Jetavan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:49 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Swami V was alright. You can find that quote in this book:
https://archive.org/details/inspiredtalks00viverich
....

Or Volume 7 of The Complete Works.
Jetavan
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 am

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Gwenn Dana » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:51 pm

odysseus wrote:
Gwenn Dana wrote:
Hm, if there´s only looking and looking, there´s no left... It´s success! :)


When there is looking, there is looking, not success.


Mara made you say something on it, it´s success... :namaste:


You're entitled to illude anything into success. Show me one person who has seen "success".
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby ReasonAndRhyme » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Motova wrote:women are expensive


:shock:
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge
ReasonAndRhyme
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Jetavan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:36 pm

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Motova wrote:women are expensive


:shock:

That's what coupons are for.
Jetavan
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 am

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 pm

odysseus wrote:I´m asking this because my successful life has gone down the drain. I had a good job, a nice girlfriend and many friends a few years ago.

Now I´m 40 years old and I have nothing. No job, no girlfriend or children. I don´t meet any friends much. I drink beer everyday and smoke hashish. I see my friends on Facebook having jobs, kids, many friends and all of that and I feel outside. I don´t feel very successful, except that I try to live with Buddhist principles as best as I can. It´s like I feel I should not feel down because of this, but sometimes Buddhism can be a lonely path. Maybe I´m just vain.
.

For most of us, our joys and sorrows are highly influenced by our relations with other people. This is natural. Most of us can't be happy as islands to ourselves up in some cave meditating alone! It is also very challenging to follow the Buddhist path alone--that's why there is the third jewel: the sangha! :D

Whether you move far away or not, I would suggest moving somewhere where you are near a Buddhist sangha which you enjoy attending. It could be such a positive center of both spiritual and social things in your life. I also realized this more deeply when I met with a Zen sangha after I had not been to any Buddhist center for over a year. The change was quite extraordinary! I can get information and emotional things from Buddhist teachers and fellow Buddhist sangha members which I could not get from myself.

Different human communities have different definitions of "success": for one community, "success" is simply having a regular job; for another community, "success" is having a summer home in the Hamptons; and in a Buddhist community, "success" is usually being able to get through meditation retreats without much trouble and being knowledgeable about the Dharma. So ultimately, I guess what Buddhism has to say about "success" is that it is empty: it can be defined in infinitely different ways by different people. It is not any one fixed, absolute thing, and one person's "success" can be another person's "failure."

So please don't remain somewhere where you are always sad and lonely! Move somewhere where you are near positive Buddhists who will support your less-materialistic goals. I wish you good luck. :anjali:
User avatar
Luke
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby odysseus » Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Motova wrote: remember your suffering is nothing compared to the vast majority of samsaric beings.


What the sh*t do you know about my suffering, really? It´s too much pain, but how can you see others´ suffering unless you´re an Arhat?

:sage:
odysseus
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Gwenn Dana » Thu May 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Luke wrote: and in a Buddhist community, "success" is usually being able to get through meditation retreats without much trouble ...


If they´re such a pain, then why do them? :-)
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby philji » Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 pm

It says rejoice in another's. Great merit and in so doing you too will be successful...perhaps at what really matters..
philji
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Gwenn Dana » Thu May 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Me still thinks success is overrated.
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Luke » Thu May 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:
Luke wrote: and in a Buddhist community, "success" is usually being able to get through meditation retreats without much trouble ...


If they´re such a pain, then why do them? :-)

Because they help lots of people improve their meditation and deepen their insight. Of course, they are not for everyone. There are many other ways to practice Buddhism, too.

I just mentioned them, because completing lots of them is usually part of a Buddhist community's definition of "success"--but whether this is a good or bad thing depends on one's perspective.
User avatar
Luke
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Gwenn Dana » Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm afraid I didn't make that point clear enough. I have nothing against retreats.

I was just pondering why people would make them who view them as something to "get through without much trouble", and whether in that attitude doing something else might not be more useful anyway.
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Luke » Thu May 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:I was just pondering why people would make them who view them as something to "get through without much trouble", and whether in that attitude doing something else might not be more useful anyway.

So in your opinion, only people who are as flexible as gymnasts should do retreats? Because for them, sitting cross-legged is easy and the word "trouble" has never crossed their minds in relation to it.
User avatar
Luke
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Gwenn Dana » Thu May 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Luke wrote:So in your opinion, only people who are as flexible as gymnasts should do retreats? Because for them, sitting cross-legged is easy and the word "trouble" has never crossed their minds in relation to it.


No. But now at least I know what you mean with "trouble". Maybe chairs would really be better.
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Andrew108 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:32 am

Institutional Buddhism would say - "give us some money so that your success will continue."
An honest teacher might say - "use your success to benefit others."
A yogi might say - "Even though it seems I have nothing I am in fact rich enough. Whereas you only think you have success. Your success is just temporary!"
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Zhen Li » Wed May 14, 2014 5:41 am

Gwenn Dana wrote:
Luke wrote:So in your opinion, only people who are as flexible as gymnasts should do retreats? Because for them, sitting cross-legged is easy and the word "trouble" has never crossed their minds in relation to it.


No. But now at least I know what you mean with "trouble". Maybe chairs would really be better.

I actually think that for a lot of meditators, the "posing" can cause mental distraction, and too much thinking about meditating rather than actually meditation. Personally, my best meditations have been lying down, because I have a curved spine, so when I am really relaxed sitting it causes me to fall over.
User avatar
Zhen Li
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 am
Location: Canada

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Lindama » Wed May 14, 2014 7:00 am

Buddhism has nothing to do with success or failure.
Lindama
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby dude » Wed May 14, 2014 7:14 am

of course it does
dude
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 am

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Zhen Li » Wed May 14, 2014 7:18 am

Neither success, nor failure, nor both, nor neither.
User avatar
Zhen Li
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 am
Location: Canada

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Postby Gwenn Dana » Wed May 14, 2014 9:56 am

If you´re only aware that you´re aware there´s nothing left to "achieve". Do you call that "success"?

Sure, you can go on to explore the world, explore phenomena, be that inner fire, extend that to meridians, practice an art, just be, meet people, basically whatever you want, with "want" being more like "see what comes".

But how do you want to define success, when there is nothing left to "achieve", but you´re only exploring?
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Previous

Return to Help Required

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

>