phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability )

phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability )

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi,

does anyone know a lama who is accomplished in phowa and can give guidance and advice?

I am going on a 10 day phowa retreat on a retreat center and i am wondering that if i need guidance and help, there would be accomplished phowa lama available through Skype.

of course i would be willing to give a donation for this service?

if someone knows some lama or can ask one's own lama if he is an accomplished in phowa and can give guidance and help please contact me.

Thanks.

withe best wishes,

konchok zopa
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Surely there will be a lama at the retreat?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member
 
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:52 pm

no, im doing a personal retreat, so im the only person thats going to be in the retreat center during my retreat.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:53 pm

someone suggested to have someone to whom you can talk about something something phowa phowa.

i have a friend who is accomplished in phowa but it would be of course better if i could talk to a lama over skype.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:12 pm

You want to be able to communicate with them during the retreat or do you want instruction before the retreat?

Have you received instructions for the practice?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member
 
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:34 pm

yes i have received instructions for the practice.

i dont really know what other to communicate during the retreat except to talk about the progress of the practice. what is happening during practice, any signs, how do i know i have reached the signs of a successful phowa etc. and if the teacher would have any additional ''tricks'' to the practice to make it more successful i think would be great.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby Adamantine » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:yes i have received instructions for the practice.

i dont really know what other to communicate during the retreat except to talk about the progress of the practice. what is happening during practice, any signs, how do i know i have reached the signs of a successful phowa etc. and if the teacher would have any additional ''tricks'' to the practice to make it more successful i think would be great.



You are completely alone, on the property?

It's not necessarily a good idea to do something like
Phowa in retreat, alone, as a beginner because lots of things
can happen with the inner winds, one could pass out and need reviving,
etc. In short, it can be dangerous and it's good to have
others around --for a beginner esp!

At least, that is my understanding and if a qualified Lama
is encouraging you to do this then ignore me.

When you say you've had instruction: do you mean in person, with
a qualified Lama, in a comprehensive way that included instructions
on how to do a solitary retreat on this?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby supermaxv » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Adamantine wrote:At least, that is my understanding and if a qualified Lama
is encouraging you to do this then ignore me.

When you say you've had instruction: do you mean in person, with
a qualified Lama, in a comprehensive way that included instructions
on how to do a solitary retreat on this?


This. I would not attempt to do any sort of retreat like this without explicit instructions specifically regarding the retreat from my guru.
supermaxv
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Adamantine wrote:
KonchokZoepa wrote:yes i have received instructions for the practice.

i dont really know what other to communicate during the retreat except to talk about the progress of the practice. what is happening during practice, any signs, how do i know i have reached the signs of a successful phowa etc. and if the teacher would have any additional ''tricks'' to the practice to make it more successful i think would be great.



You are completely alone, on the property?

It's not necessarily a good idea to do something like
Phowa in retreat, alone, as a beginner because lots of things
can happen with the inner winds, one could pass out and need reviving,
etc. In short, it can be dangerous and it's good to have
others around --for a beginner esp!

At least, that is my understanding and if a qualified Lama
is encouraging you to do this then ignore me.

When you say you've had instruction: do you mean in person, with
a qualified Lama, in a comprehensive way that included instructions
on how to do a solitary retreat on this?


no, I received the instructions from Garchen Rinpoche via webcast. so i have no instructions for a retreat except that you do the practice 4 times a day.

i dont see it as being dangerous. what do you mean by reviving. if you pass out you will automatically wake up yourself when you get to it. and i dont think you can die from the practice..

i have done the practice at home and there seems to be nothing dangerous about the practice.

No Lama is encouraging me to do this practice. its by my own free will that i want to do it.

and i am not going to cancel the retreat because someone on an internet forum says its dangerous.

if its so dangerous please explain thoroughly and prove your claims.

also what would be added to the instructions when put in the context of retreat conditions. the amount of practice you do in a day. not much else i would think. its not like the practice isnt explained already.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:18 pm

supermaxv wrote:
Adamantine wrote:At least, that is my understanding and if a qualified Lama
is encouraging you to do this then ignore me.

When you say you've had instruction: do you mean in person, with
a qualified Lama, in a comprehensive way that included instructions
on how to do a solitary retreat on this?


This. I would not attempt to do any sort of retreat like this without explicit instructions specifically regarding the retreat from my guru.


why?
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

adamantine, also i find it quite hard to believe that any lama would discourage or advise not to do a retreat when it is possible.

also is it your opinion that if you live by yourself and you would do it 4 times a day the practice, it is dangerous and you would advise not to do it?
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby supermaxv » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
Adamantine wrote:At least, that is my understanding and if a qualified Lama
is encouraging you to do this then ignore me.

When you say you've had instruction: do you mean in person, with
a qualified Lama, in a comprehensive way that included instructions
on how to do a solitary retreat on this?


This. I would not attempt to do any sort of retreat like this without explicit instructions specifically regarding the retreat from my guru.


why?


Because I prefer to ask a guru for specific retreat instructions before doing a retreat, if anything so I don't waste my time in regards to getting something basic wrong, to get pith instructions in regards to setup and logistics, and to get a refresher on the practice. Nothing more than that. I'm not at all sure you're going to find a lama who doesn't have a previous connection with you to agree to be on call for you, but I hope you find what you are looking for.
supermaxv
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm

i have the pith instructions in my mind and i am familiar with the practice.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I was told to do a 7 day retreat by my lama after receiving instructions. I did so, by myself, at home. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it certainly was not dangerous. My lama did not give me any warnings about any dangers invloved during the oral instructions, so... :shrug:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member
 
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:57 pm

ah,, about the passing out. i read about this before i attended the Drikung Phowa Chenmo last summer. I read a praise about the event from some website with stories and history etc. and it was said that some people pass out during the transmission and practice and it is a sign of successful phowa.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby smcj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm

I would not attempt to do any sort of retreat like this without explicit instructions specifically regarding the retreat from my guru.


why?


There are various levels of Phowa. Presumably the one that Garchin R. gave over the internet is the basic kind for non-meditators, which is safe. The Phowa that is part of the 6 Yogas is for advanced yogis. In the Karma Kagyu tradition it is normally first introduced to a practitioner at the end of a 3 year retreat. It is normally not publicly given.

The sign of progress for the basic Phowa, however, is a headache. And the sign of accomplishment is a pimple on the crown of your head. So good luck with it!
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:26 pm

i heard from the teaching of Garchen R. that if you get a headache it probably is that you are forcing the winds and you should not force them. although headache could still be some sign of progress. im hoping for tickling first and then the pimple :p
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby smcj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:i heard from the teaching of Garchen R. that if you get a headache it probably is that you are forcing the winds and you should not force them. although headache could still be some sign of progress. im hoping for tickling first and then the pimple :p

My exposure was from Gonpo Tsedan R., who was a Nyingma lama. That might account for the difference. Or perhaps he assumed that as beginners we would naturally end up forcing the winds. I don't know.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby Lhasa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:i have the pith instructions in my mind and i am familiar with the practice.


Maybe send an email to Garchen Rinpoche via questions@garchen.net and tell him what you are doing and when, ask for his blessing etc. They will forward your email to his translator. You can also ask the Garchen Institute if there is a senior student or other Lama that could assist you. There is a list of dharma centers connected with Garchen Rinpoche on the website, and some of those have resident Lamas.
Lhasa
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 am

Re: phowa instructor needed for retreat ( skype availability

Postby Adamantine » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:49 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:
no, I received the instructions from Garchen Rinpoche via webcast. so i have no instructions for a retreat except that you do the practice 4 times a day.

i dont see it as being dangerous. what do you mean by reviving. if you pass out you will automatically wake up yourself when you get to it. and i dont think you can die from the practice..

i have done the practice at home and there seems to be nothing dangerous about the practice.

No Lama is encouraging me to do this practice. its by my own free will that i want to do it.

and i am not going to cancel the retreat because someone on an internet forum says its dangerous.

if its so dangerous please explain thoroughly and prove your claims.

also what would be added to the instructions when put in the context of retreat conditions. the amount of practice you do in a day. not much else i would think. its not like the practice isnt explained already.


Hey, I am trying to be helpful, you are free to disagree but don't get all reactionary. :consoling: In general, the schedule for retreats is very specific : every thing you do should be structured precisely according to the different times of day. The flow of the winds of one's body changes during the different parts of the day. ALso, even a retreat focused on Phowa your Lama would most likely recommend mixing with other practices at different times to balance it out. Especially one session is traditionally devoted to long life practice, at least in my lineage, if one is doing Phowa. . . because otherwise there is a possibility of Phowa shortening the life span. So it is good to get very specific retreat instructions about the schedule, and also about obstacles that could arise so you are prepared. In general, a Lama may recommend different schedules to different disciples, due to their varying capacities. Some people are prone more to getting wind-disorders (lung imbalances) doing intensive practice, especially tsa-lung practices which Phowa approximates, and a wisdom-Lama will know this and give you pith-instructions for your retreat accordingly.. I can't go into detail about specifics regarding why to be cautious, as this may violate samaya, and as you say: why would you do or not do anything based on someone saying something
on the internet? So this is not the place to recount the words of my own Guru, because you would not respect them, and that would create negative karma for you. So I won't do it. However, you should try to communicate directly with a Lama that you have devotion for, about your retreat and ask specifically regarding schedule and obstacles that could arise. In my experience of group retreat of various Vajrayana practices: there is always at least one person, usually more, who develop serious wind imbalances in the retreat context. This is not something inherently bad, but it could be dramatic and it is good to be prepared with knowledge and tools in advance if this happens to you. Diet is also crucial: what you eat on retreat, and when you eat it. Different people will need varying amounts of sleep, etc. A Lama's direct advice is really important. I hope you can connect to one, ideally one you already have respect for and not one you just met on the internet.. since you seem skeptical of people's advice on the internet! :tongue:

Also, I would never recommend to cancel your retreat. You've gotten the wrong impression. I just am emphasizing you get proper direct instructions on doing a Phowa retreat alone from a Lama qualified in the Phowa of the lineage you are engaged with. If this is not possible right now, it could be better to change the focus of your retreat: Shiné retreats for instance are way undervalued and utilized by westerners practicing Vajrayana Buddhism. And you were about to go off and focus on Theravada practices--- Shiné is common to both. Accomplishing Shiné would also benefit you in a future retreat on Phowa, or any other practice for that matter. Note that I said it could be better. I don't know. Only your Lama could tell you. I would do my best to reach out to Garchen Rinpoche, call the center, tell them it is urgent, you are doing solitary retreat soon and need last minute clarification or whatever. If you can get past the insulation, (the retinue) then Garchen Rinpoche is really quite available and accessible. And if he is not, one of the Lamas at his center should be able to talk to you on the phone at least.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Next

Return to Help Required

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

>