Mala broke - restringing?

Help required with personal difficulties.
kirtu
Former staff member

Mala broke - restringing?

Post by kirtu »

Last night the mala given to me by Khenpo Kalsang broke. As I was trying to fix it, I ended up accidentally removing the guru bead. So now it has to be restrung. Does anyone know how to do this or know someone who can do it (hopefully near Baltimore, MD)?

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
conebeckham

Re: Mala broke - restringing?

Post by conebeckham »

You need a thin, flexible piece of wire to use as a "needle"--I've had success with that as a method.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Isn't there a Drikung center nearby Baltimore? Surely someone there can string it for you.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I took some dental floss which has a hardened end.

Also nylon-line or the line of a kite is good quality and will last long.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I use a crochet/knitting needle to pull the thread through the guru bead.
The ones in the picture are the thicker versions, you can get really fine ones which are perfect for snagging and pulling the thread through.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

kirtu wrote:Last night the mala given to me by Khenpo Kalsang broke. As I was trying to fix it, I ended up accidentally removing the guru bead. So now it has to be restrung. Does anyone know how to do this or know someone who can do it (hopefully near Baltimore, MD)?

Thanks!

Kirt
I use twist-ties. Strip off the plastic covering, fold it in half and twist it enough to make an eye to pull thread through and Bob's your uncle. It is flexible enough to get around tight spaces in the guru bead if you curve it a bit.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Return to “Help Required”